Why did Rex only get 2 years?

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

My take here:

Not a given McD is back next year.

As for Rex, per staff at OBD he and Rob were last ones to work in AM and first to leave at night.  Not the best management skills.

And they took 4 hr lunches. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

My take here:

Not a given McD is back next year.

As for Rex, per staff at OBD he and Rob were last ones to work in AM and first to leave at night.  Not the best management skills.

?We get up at 12,

and go to work at 1?

?Take an hour for lunch,

and then at 2 we're done?

?Jolly good fun!?

EDIT:  Maybe Brandon's and Whaley's advice to Pegula about "don't let him out of the building" really was an attempt to highlight Wrecks' penchant for sneaking out early.  A Simplex punch clock would have put a stop to that!

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Russ! Come back! All is forgiven! ???
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 11/9/2018 at 7:01 AM, GunnerBill said:

4.3 and 5.5 points in the NFL are HUGE differences.

This might help explain.  Our adjusted games lost rankings due to injury for defense by year were:

11th in 2014

28th in 2015

28th in 2016

8th in 2017

Notice the correlation . . . .  We were the 28th - in other words we were among the most injured team on defense during the two years Rex was the coach.  Hmmmm.

Also, you will notice that the point differential rankings were only within 1 and 2 spots off each other comparing 2015 and 2016 with 2014.  

On 11/9/2018 at 8:11 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If you win 5 games by 3 and then get blown out in your only loss by 30 points your point differential is negative, but your record is 5-1. Using season long point differential is rather meaningless.

As for the injuries, I left them out because every team deals with injuries, and not all losses are the same. Can you tell me who exactly we lost to injury on Defense? I have no idea how they weighted who, when, or why.

The only 2 that come to mind for me are Aaron Williams who had his neck issues, and Kyle Williams in 2015, though he did play for ~1/3 of the season.

No, because I don't consider Football Outsiders an authority over all stats. Their DVOA metric for offense and defense are very good. DVOA for quarterbacks is pretty bad. Adjusted Games Lost is something I've never given any credence to whatsoever.

If you do not understand or even give credence to the fact that injuries affect teams - especially when we were one of the most injured teams on the defensive side of the ball (28 out of 32) during the two years Rex was the coach, you just are revealing your bias.

You are highlighting your bias when you cite to Football Outsiders as authoritative on one metric, but choose to ignore them on another metric.

This is especially true when the injury metric helps explain the other metric and puts it in context.

P.S.  It is interesting that you mentioned getting blown out.  That seems to be happening an historic amount of times since Rex got fired.

Edited by Peter

These are the reasons Rex was fired after 31 games (in no particular order) 

- Rex was a defensive minded HC that took over a defense that had 2 consecutive seasons of being in the top 5 and turned it into a below average unit. 

- Rex's nepotism hire with his dumb ass brother as DC.

- Rex set expectations too high. He promised we would make the playoffs. He said we "won the offseason". 

- Rex's team took a lot of dumb penalties that one would normally associate with bad coaching. We routinely looked unprepared and undisciplined. 

- Rex made poor in game coaching decisions. He did not manage the clock well and made dumb challenges. 

- The week 17 TT situation. Whaley demanded that Rex bench TT for fear that TT would be injured which would trigger an injury clause in his contract. Rex refused and lost the power struggle. 

All things considered I think we made the right choice by firing him. Time will tell if we made the right decision by hiring Mcdermott 

There's also another major difference between Rex and McD......Our current HC is only on his 2nd year as the top coach.....Rex was supposed to be a knowledgeable vet and was a self proclaimed defensive guru.....now... which one brought us to the playoffs again ?.....Maybe McD will end up being a bad HC.....by this time next year, we should have a clearer picture.....that does not change the fact that Rex's tenure was an absolute ***** show....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

It had to be THE affair. 

It was personal, not business. 

There was no 'affair'.  Someone saw Wrecks talking to a larger woman with grey, frizzy hair, and only saw this mystery lady from behind.  It turns out it was Wrecks asking his brother which 'all you can eat' buffet they were dining at that evening.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

This might help explain.  Our adjusted games lost rankings due to injury for defense by year were:

11th in 2014

28th in 2015

28th in 2016

8th in 2017

Notice the correlation . . . .  We were the 28th most injured team on defense during the two years Rex was the coach.  Hmmmm.

Also, you will notice that the point differential rankings were only within 1 and 2 spots off each other comparing 2015 and 2016 with 2014.  

If you do not understand or even give credence to the fact that injuries affect teams - especially when we were one of the most injured teams on the defensive side of the ball (28 out of 32) during the two years Rex was the coach, you just are revealing your bias.

You are highlighting your bias when you cite to Football Outsiders as authoritative on one metric, but choose to ignore them on another metric.

This is especially true when the injury metric helps explain the other metric and puts it in context.

P.S.  It is interesting that you mentioned getting blown out.  That seems to be happening an historic amount of times since Rex got fired.

The injuries excuse doesn't wash because while some of what hurt us was execution I would say the majority was scheme. His scheme was sliced and diced because it relied on the blitz and the game had moved on and QBs were beating it by getting it out fast. We should have known that would be a problem though... it was in his final 2 years with the Jets too. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The injuries excuse doesn't wash because while some of what hurt us was execution I would say the majority was scheme. His scheme was sliced and diced because it relied on the blitz and the game had moved on and QBs were beating it by getting it out fast. We should have known that would be a problem though... it was in his final 2 years with the Jets too. 

We go from being one of the healthiest to nearly the most injured and it did not have an affect?

Hmmm.

You are just revealing your bias against him.  Got it.

Go Gunners.

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

We go from being one of the healthiest to nearly the most injured and it did not have an affect?

Hmmm.

You are just revealing your bias against him.  Got it.

Go Gunners.

I didn't say it didn't have an effect. I said it was not the most significant factor. Not even close. 

On 11/8/2018 at 10:22 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

The way I see it.. Marrone really ****ed us over

actually it was Whaley and Brandon that effed him over.....Marrone sold Brandon in the interview process about the need for a culture change (Pegula bought in and it is the similar reason he hired McDermott IMO)......but Marrone's approach was  dictatorial "Patton like".....I know folks who hosted a coaching staff and brass dinner in Fairport one night after camp...restaurant was 20 minutes late and Marrone went ballistic....made everyone make up the 20 so they could get back to St John Fisher for more team meetings which went until 9+PM and he wanted Whaley and Brandon present....they hated the regimen and turned on him and Marrone knew he was screwed when the Big Dawgs start to bite....Pegula DID offer him a 4 year, $19.6 mil extension and Marrone said, "I'll get back to you" but did not...TP called him and Marrone claimed to be shopping for his wife's Christmas gift and again said, "I'll get back to you" which he did not, followed by his resignation......Brandon was already in Florida for the holidays so Pegula summoned Whaley....they met on New Year's Eve until 9PM discussing the situation which turned TP's smooth transition plan upside down....so how could I POSSIBLY make this up without having inside knowledge?...seriously?....and why would I post garbage like this to infuriate TBD Brethren?...for my jollies?.....they're in the Smithsonian......dead on arrival.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I didn't say it didn't have an effect. I said it was not the most significant factor. Not even close. 

You are showing your bias.  That is like saying the Bills' offensive struggles this year are not affected by the horrible offensive line and wide receivers and the substandard QB play.

People have a narrative about Rex and are just unwilling to look at it objectively.  He was the most successful Buffalo Bills head coach in nearly two decades (still is) and people are claiming that he destroyed a defense that was nearly the most injured in the entire NFL - BOTH years.  

Notwithstanding this, he still is the most successful Buffalo Bills head coach since Wade.

At the same time, McBeane are sucking the life out of the current team.

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

You are showing your bias.  That is like saying the Bills' offensive struggles this year are not affected by the horrible offensive line and wide receivers and the substandard QB play.

People have a narrative about Rex and are just unwilling to look at it objectively.  He was the most successful Buffalo Bills head coach in nearly two decades (still is) and people are claiming that he destroyed a defense that was nearly the most injured in the entire NFL - BOTH years.  

Notwithstanding this, he still is the most successful Buffalo Bills head coach since Wade.

This is what Wrex's sucess looked like:

A do-or-die game in December.  Down 21-0 at half.  Players walking around on defense.  The coach hired as a motivator couldn't motivate.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201512200was.htm

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

It is not Peter. I watch every Bills game 3 times. When it comes down to talent in my opinion I say that. When it comes down to coaching and scheme I say that too. In 2015 especially the problems on my objective analysis were about 75% scheme. In 2016 I would put it a little less than that. Rex did a better job coaching wise his 2nd year. Year one was an unmitigated disaster both coaching and scheme.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

This is what Wrex's sucess looked like:

A do-or-die game in December.  Down 21-0 at half.  Players walking around on defense.  The coach hired as a motivator couldn't motivate.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201512200was.htm

. . .  and still the most successful head coach since Wade even though he had nearly the most injured team on defense for each of the two years he was the head coach.

At least he did not have 15 guys on defense or an historic amount of blow outs like the current guy . . . .

Has anyone ever been caught with 15 defensive players on the field . . . other than McCoach

Just now, Peter said:

. . .  and still the most successful head coach since Wade even though he had nearly the most injured team on defense for each of the two years he was the head coach.

At least he did not have 15 guys on defense or an historic amount of blow outs like the current guy . . . .

Has anyone ever been caught with 15 defensive players on the field . . . other than McCoach

It was awesome winning those two meaningless games at the end of 2015 so Rex could be so successful.  Such success, so Wade.  Wow.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not Peter. I watch every Bills game 3 times. When it comes down to talent in my opinion I say that. When it comes down to coaching and scheme I say that too. In 2015 especially the problems on my objective analysis were about 75% scheme. In 2016 I would put it a little less than that. Rex did a better job coaching wise his 2nd year. Year one was an unmitigated disaster both coaching and scheme.

When you throw out terms like "unmitigated disaster" that is just over the top and betrays a bias.

It is fine to have disagreements.  That makes life interesting.  The criticism of Rex on this board, however, is over the top.

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

It was awesome winning those two meaningless games at the end of 2015 so Rex could be so successful.  Such success, so Wade.  Wow.

Sadly, the Bills games became meaningless before the end of October this year.

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

When you throw out terms like "unmitigated disaster" that is just over the top and betrays a bias.

I don't think it is at all. It was the ultimate example of taking proven talent and trying to force fit it into a scheme it does not suit. That is my honest assessment. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it is at all. It was the ultimate example of taken proven talent and trying to force fit it into a scheme it does not suit. That is my honest assessment. 

We clearly disagree.  

At least we both support the same two football teams . . . the Buffalo Bills and Arsenal.

57 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Pegula DID offer him a 4 year, $19.6 mil extension and Marrone said, "I'll get back to you" but did not...TP called him and Marrone claimed to be shopping for his wife's Christmas gift and again said, "I'll get back to you" which he did not, followed by his resignation

Sounds like he quit