Why did Rex only get 2 years?

9 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Rex was running a clown show .....he was big on talk and promises..., not big on results....

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/11/rex_ryan_explains_bad_challenges_mistake_cost_buffalo_bills_loss_kansas_city_chi.html

Or that time that the Bills had 15 men on the field against the Patriots.  What a clown show.  Big talk and promises. Has it ever happened before that a team got caught with 15 freaking men on the field?!?

Bills Had 15 Men on Field Against Patriots

Oh, wait, that was when McOrganization was the coach.  

Edited by Peter

The list of headlines which he loved so much like  "I'm not going to let our fans down. I am not going to do that. I know it's been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs. Well, get ready, man, we're going. We are going."...are too many to list here....

Bringing his loser brother didn't help either....for a guy who had not won really anything even as a DC, he sure liked to act like he was all that..........his 2 decent years with the Jets, he was benefiting from the roster Mangini had built....it went downhill quickly after that.....he was an average HC at best....

I love how when he 1st got to Buffalo, he was basically saying that our 4th ranked defense was not good enough.......and he then proceeded to make it worse....much much worse...sending Mario in coverage was as stupid as stupid gets....

Edited by Iron Maiden

Probably because he didn't and never would sell himself as a long term investment. At least we knew he sucked and could fire him rather than Whaley and him blowing up the roster to have us holding our breaths we get the 2000 Ravens in 5 years. 

Guarantee Rex would be the coach if he tanked and basically made it a guessing game as to if him and his rookie QB he drafts (like Mariota or something?) were gonna be a dynasty (they wouldn't have been). 

But I liked the transparency knowing he sucked. I honestly have no idea with these guys since they made it so bad on purpose their competence can't be judged

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

I think most of Rex's firing had to do with behind the scenes stuff. He was a poor leader. He let his players walk all over him. They didn't have direction or leadership as men from Rex's style. I don't think Rex understood or taught accountability.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000483912/article/jace-amaro-jets-had-tardiness-issue-under-rex-ryan

Also....This...100 X this....

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Rex stayed everyone got tired his act for many things. When players become lazy or sleeping during meeting and stuff you gotta make a change

Yep...Rex is like one of those door to door salesman.....The Bills bought the 5 Million dollars vacuum...and our rugs got even dirtier....

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:54 AM, Peter said:

Playoff expectations?  Whaley may have been pushing that narrative with the Pegulas, but the "money" did not foresee playoffs for the Bills:

2015 Over and Under Wins 8.5 (hardly playoff expectations)

2016 Over and Under Wins 8 (hardly playoff expectations)

"In 2016 [Rex] was given a draft to add some pieces to the defense and the team still had mediocre results."

Hmmm. Top two Bills draft choices were hurt.  One was out for the year, and the other was out for a good portion of the year and probably was not fully recovered when he returned.

Destroyed???  That seems to be the narrative that the Rex haters love to push.

As I mentioned before in an earlier post, let's put things in perspective:

2013 Points Against        24.3 (20th in NFL)

2013 Point Differential   -49 (22nd in NFL)

2014 Points Against        18.1 (4th in NFL)

2014 Point Differential  +54    (12th in NFL)

2015 Points Against         22.4 (only 4.3 points per game more than 2014 & 1.9 point per game less than 2013) (15th in NFL)

2015 Point Differential   +20 (13th in NFL - only one back from 2014)

2016 Points Against         23.6 (only 5.5 points per game more than 2014 and .7 points per game less than 2013) (16th in NFL)

2016 Point Differential   +21  (14th in NFL - two back from 2014)

2017 Points Against         22.4 (same as 2015) (18th in NFL)

2017 Point Differential    -57   (21st in NFL)

2018 Points Against        26.8 (more than both 2013, 2015, and 2016) (26th in NFL)

2018 Point Differential  -145 (Dead last in NFL through 9 games)

Rex did this and was the most successful Buffalo Bills head coach since Wade (and still is) even though Mario went on strike, Gilmore did not think tackling was part of his job, and with one of the most injured teams in the NFL with among the most games lost due to injury:

•  

4.3 and 5.5 points in the NFL are HUGE differences.

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Please let me know when the NFL stops choosing who wins games by point differential.

If you win 5 games by 3 and then get blown out in your only loss by 30 points your point differential is negative, but your record is 5-1. Using season long point differential is rather meaningless.

As for the injuries, I left them out because every team deals with injuries, and not all losses are the same. Can you tell me who exactly we lost to injury on Defense? I have no idea how they weighted who, when, or why.

The only 2 that come to mind for me are Aaron Williams who had his neck issues, and Kyle Williams in 2015, though he did play for ~1/3 of the season.

10 hours ago, Peter said:

In citing to Football Outsiders, you also did not consider that, according to your own authority, our defenses while Rex was the coach were especially hard hit by injury each year.

No, because I don't consider Football Outsiders an authority over all stats. Their DVOA metric for offense and defense are very good. DVOA for quarterbacks is pretty bad. Adjusted Games Lost is something I've never given any credence to whatsoever.

I knew at  the time when we had the #1 rushing attack that we would really miss it someday.  Like now.  I was Lukewarm about Rex but it was mainly the D that disappointed.  They scored plenty and controlled the ball.  He had Anthony Lynn on staff, and some solid coaches. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If you win 5 games by 3 and then get blown out in your only loss by 30 points your point differential is negative, but your record is 5-1. Using season long point differential is rather meaningless.

the more variables you put into an analysis the stronger it is

cherry picking point differential is an admission one knows 100% their argument sucks in the first place

Rex got 2 years because he was a loudmouth buffoon hired to be a shot in the arm, winning team from the jump, and he failed miserably.  Rather than instill the motivated and aggressive mindset that he was known for, he decided to hire 1 million coaches and rest on his laurels. He failed to get the team to buy in, a team that had spent the last two years crushing Rex teams. 

He was a failure in every way. The Pegs HC decisions have blown up in their faces.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

the more variables you put into an analysis the stronger it is

cherry picking point differential is an admission one knows 100% their argument sucks in the first place

The Bills have lost 5 games by 20+ points this year. Last years 0-16 Browns lost only 1 by more than 20. This team is obviously not even competitive. Does anyone really think the Rex teams were worse? This could go down as one of the worst teams ever in the NFL. They have 8 TD's scored vs 27 given up. They have only scored a TD in 5 of 9 games. The Defense looks better than it is because teams take the foot of the gas when they are up big. 

The best thing Rex ever did for the Bills was coach the jets. He destroyed that franchise. 

His life accomplishments amount to (1) having a daddy that was considered to be a good football coach (2) riding Marvin Lewis’s coattails

Apparenly Hoodie and Kraft loved Wrecks... lol

https://www.businessinsider.com/patriots-wanted-jets-to-keep-rex-ryan-2018-11

Took a 9-7 team to an 8-8 team , then a 7-9 team. Rex wasn't brought in to rebuild, he was supposed to take us over the top. Yet, he decided this really good defense needed to be rebuilt. Mcd took Rex's crap team and took them to the playoffs in his 1st year. Built a really good d by yr 2 and even said prior to the season, we might be looking at a season where the team is not as good as last year's playoff team(which wasn't that good).  As far as finding a link to Mcd. saying this, I know what I heard. If you want a link, look for it. I'm working. Plus, I think we have 1 player left from the 2 drafts where Rex was coach. 1 Player that I can tell(Miler). Rex didn't draft the players, but had plenty of input. I think what I am trying to say is Rex didn't last cuz he sucked. Pretty bad too.

JMO

2015 draft:

Ronald Darby, John Miller, Karlos Williams, Tony Stewart, O'leary and Dezmund Lewis.

2016 draft:

Lawson, Ragland, Adolphus Washington, Cardale Jones, Johnathan Williams, Listenbee, and Kevon Seymore.

2107 draft

White, Zay, Dion Dawkins, Millano, Peterman and Vallejo.

2018 draft

Allen, Edmunds, Phillips, Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, Wyatt Teller, Ray-Ray and Proehl

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

The Bills have lost 5 games by 20+ points this year. Last years 0-16 Browns lost only 1 by more than 20. This team is obviously not even competitive. Does anyone really think the Rex teams were worse? This could go down as one of the worst teams ever in the NFL. They have 8 TD's scored vs 27 given up. They have only scored a TD in 5 of 9 games. The Defense looks better than it is because teams take the foot of the gas when they are up big. 

Rex's teams weren't remotely as bad as this, i don't care what "stats" people want to throw at me.....

They've won twice, that puts them well above 0 or 1 win teams

i agree about the D coasting through garbagetime, but it's still the only decent facet of this team....

On 11/5/2018 at 1:46 AM, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

My take here:

Not a given McD is back next year.

As for Rex, per staff at OBD he and Rob were last ones to work in AM and first to leave at night.  Not the best management skills.