Why did Rex only get 2 years?

Rex's teams had much much bigger expectations. The 2015 team was thought to be a playoff contender that could make some noise if they got decent QB play. Rex in 2015 inherited one of the best defenses in the league and although the offense was ass in 2014 they brought in a lot of help on offense. Adding InCog and drafting Miller along an O-line that had pieces in Wood and Glenn. They added Shady and Clay to a skill position core that had Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, and Hogan. They even got decent QB play with Tyrod but Rex ***** up a great defense that had added a good player in Darby. 

In 2016 he was given a draft to add some pieces to the defense to better run his scheme and the team still had mediocre results. The difference between McBeane and Rex was expectations. Rex took over a 9-7 team that added a lot of talent, McBeane took over a 7-9 team that was not in a good position cap wise and had aging talent. Rex had a pair of rosters on paper that should have produced double digit wins and the reason for failure in both years was a subpar defense which was supposed to be Rex's specialty. 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Rex's teams had much much bigger expectations. The 2015 team was thought to be a playoff contender that could make some noise if they got decent QB play. Rex in 2015 inherited one of the best defenses in the league and although the offense was ass in 2014 they brought in a lot of help on offense. Adding InCog and drafting Miller along an O-line that had pieces in Wood and Glenn. They added Shady and Clay to a skill position core that had Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, and Hogan. They even got decent QB play with Tyrod but Rex ***** up a great defense that had added a good player in Darby. 

In 2016 he was given a draft to add some pieces to the defense to better run his scheme and the team still had mediocre results. The difference between McBeane and Rex was expectations. Rex took over a 9-7 team that added a lot of talent, McBeane took over a 7-9 team that was not in a good position cap wise and had aging talent. Rex had a pair of rosters on paper that should have produced double digit wins and the reason for failure in both years was a subpar defense which was supposed to be Rex's specialty. 

Playoff expectations?  Whaley may have been pushing that narrative with the Pegulas, but the "money" did not foresee playoffs for the Bills:

2015 Over and Under Wins 8.5 (hardly playoff expectations)

2016 Over and Under Wins 8 (hardly playoff expectations)

"In 2016 [Rex] was given a draft to add some pieces to the defense and the team still had mediocre results."

Hmmm. Top two Bills draft choices were hurt.  One was out for the year, and the other was out for a good portion of the year and probably was not fully recovered when he returned.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Rex took a top 4 defense by Schwartz and in all his pompous glory destroyed it. His offense was never good. I'll give McB that 3rd extra year to start building this embarrassing offense. 

Destroyed???  That seems to be the narrative that the Rex haters love to push.

As I mentioned before in an earlier post, let's put things in perspective:

2013 Points Against        24.3 (20th in NFL)

2013 Point Differential   -49 (22nd in NFL)

2014 Points Against        18.1 (4th in NFL)

2014 Point Differential  +54    (12th in NFL)

2015 Points Against         22.4 (only 4.3 points per game more than 2014 & 1.9 point per game less than 2013) (15th in NFL)

2015 Point Differential   +20 (13th in NFL - only one back from 2014)

2016 Points Against         23.6 (only 5.5 points per game more than 2014 and .7 points per game less than 2013) (16th in NFL)

2016 Point Differential   +21  (14th in NFL - two back from 2014)

2017 Points Against         22.4 (same as 2015) (18th in NFL)

2017 Point Differential    -57   (21st in NFL)

2018 Points Against        26.8 (more than both 2013, 2015, and 2016) (26th in NFL)

2018 Point Differential  -145 (Dead last in NFL through 9 games)

Rex did this and was the most successful Buffalo Bills head coach since Wade (and still is) even though Mario went on strike, Gilmore did not think tackling was part of his job, and with one of the most injured teams in the NFL with among the most games lost due to injury:

•  
Edited by Peter

11 hours ago, Peter said:

2015 Points Against         22.4 (only 4.3 points per game more than 2014 & 1.9 point per game less than 2013) (15th in NFL)

2016 Points Against         23.6 (only 5.5 points per game more than 2014 and .7 points per game less than 2013) (16th in NFL)

2018 Points Against        26.8 (more than both 2013, 2015, and 2016) (26th in NFL)

And yet there's a pretty good metric out there called DVOA. And the ranks were as follows:

2013: O=25th, D=4th

2014: O=26th, D=2nd

2015: O=9th, D=24th

2016: O=10th, D=27th

2017: O=26th, D=15th

2018: O=32nd, D=2nd

You don't think going from 2nd to 24th is destroying the Defense? It's the same kind of drop off as going from 10th to 32nd on Offense.

I think most of Rex's firing had to do with behind the scenes stuff. He was a poor leader. He let his players walk all over him. They didn't have direction or leadership as men from Rex's style. I don't think Rex understood or taught accountability.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000483912/article/jace-amaro-jets-had-tardiness-issue-under-rex-ryan

Remember when that top defense he inherited, folded like a cheap table against the 3-13 Raiders?

That D wasn't perfect and Marios rapid decline I think had alot to do with it.

If that ***** PI isn't called against Jax in London, we make the playoffs in 2015

Edited by uticaclub

On 11/5/2018 at 2:00 AM, Peter said:

The following is not a popular opinion on this board:

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was a huge mistake firing Rex.  There is no way a coach should be fired in less than two years --- especially a coach who had been the most successful coach for the Buffalo Bills for the past nearly two decades and who was being undermined behind the scenes with leaks etc.  Rex should have been allowed to at least continue for the term of his contract.

To put things in perspective, the point differential was much worse last year than the year before and the relative offensive and defensive rankings were worse last year than the year before.  

As much as Rex got grief for having 11 men on the field (when, as it turns out, a DB got hurt and a defensive back coach presumably did not send a replacement in the game), Rex never had 15 freaking guys on the field as McCoach did last year against the Pats.  I do not think that I ever have seen any other team or coach have 15 guys on the field at the same time.  

Rex also had personality whereas the current guy is McMilktoast and cannot help repeating his stolen mantra the "process."  McCoach is Dick Jauron without the charisma.*  Between  his personality and what he has done with the team, he has sucked the life out of the team (and my view of the team under him).

I would take Rex over the current guy and thought it was unfair to undermine and then fire Rex in less than two years. As I state above, Rex should have been allowed to at least coach the team through the term of his contract.

As much as I am not particularly impressed with McCoach, I also think that it would be unfair to fire him in less than two years.

* For the younger readers, Dick Jauron did not have any charisma . . . and neither does McCoach.  This was a joke.

I feel like McD at least publicly, presents more in a manner the Pegulas prefer, and he has definitely not promised the moon before promising to simply change the culture for the better around OBD. Not saying he will pan out, just offer this as a means of explanation for the thread question. Rex promised way too much on the front end coming in--remember that 1st intro presser? Gonna build a bully, take down the Patriots, win championships sooner than later, get me a house with most annual snow fall, blah blah blah. Terry I think got tired of the blustery sideshow, Rex constantly over-promising and never being able to deliver. "Personality" will only get you so far. Don't forget too, Rex promising a significant D change for the better after year 1, when he brought in his brother in the ultimate nepotism move, really started his clock running, IMO.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/rex-ryan-hires-brother-rob-bills-defense-coaching-staff/13zja0p1spxds19jsku38qd8os    

19 hours ago, Peter said:

Playoff expectations?  Whaley may have been pushing that narrative with the Pegulas, but the "money" did not foresee playoffs for the Bills:

2015 Over and Under Wins 8.5 (hardly playoff expectations)

2016 Over and Under Wins 8 (hardly playoff expectations)

"In 2016 [Rex] was given a draft to add some pieces to the defense and the team still had mediocre results."

Hmmm. Top two Bills draft choices were hurt.  One was out for the year, and the other was out for a good portion of the year and probably was not fully recovered when he returned.

Rex did this and was the most successful Buffalo Bills head coach since Wade (and still is) even though Mario went on strike, Gilmore did not think tackling was part of his job, and with one of the most injured teams in the NFL with among the most games lost due to injury:

•  

Rex inherited the best or second best defense in the league and in two seasons had defenses ranked 24 and 27. The reason the over under's set by Vegas were so low was because in 2015 there was questions about the QB play. Everyone thought the team had a stacked defense and a stacked offense outside of the QB position. The biggest weakness actually turned out to not be that big of a liability since Tyrod was a decent QB. But Rex's specialty defense was what let the team down. Ironically Rex and Whaley made so many good moves on the offensive side of the ball, they had two good coordinators on offense. bringing in InCog and drafting Miller fixed up the O-line (even finding Mills was a plus to the run game,) trading for Shady was a brilliant move, Tyrod stabilized the QB play, and even though Clay was massively overpaid he still was a productive player. 

But switching the scheme defensively was jamming a round peg in a square hole. If they had that 2014 defense with the 2015 offense I  have no doubt they win 11 games. Hell they won 8 with the 24th ranked defense, I think with a top 5 defense they at least pull out 3 more wins. Even in 2016 everyone still thought that the team suddenly had a more than competent offense and with the additions on defense and everyone "having another year in the scheme" thought the defense under someone who is supposed to be a defensive guru would help turn around the defense. But the defense regressed even further. 

If Rex had fielded even competent defenses he would have at least gotten another year or two but he ***** a great defense up and couldn't take advantage of a big spending spree. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/5/2018 at 1:46 AM, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

Did you watch a single game during the Rex Ryan era? Did you not see him take a top 5 defense and turn it into a bottom feeder version, even with him supposedly being a great defensive minded coach? Yeah, we were closer to Ringling Bros. than an NFL team when he was here. 

Expectations.  Rex came in with the mindset I'm making the difference.  The defense was top 10, he was making it the best.  McDermott saw what was broken.  He wanted to do a total rebuild, but trying not to sacrifice too much in the short term.  Imo after making the playoffs they got the clout and the ability to full fledge rebuild. The defense is close and the offense is a mess.  Looking at salaries and resources it is not a surprise. Pegula is not caught off guard by anything this year except for his infatuation with Peterman.  

Edited by Mat68

24 minutes ago, ngbills said:

So funny the Tyrod was a decent QB. If we only had a decent Def we are in he playoffs. Rex destroyed this.

Is QB not the most important position? Do we suck now? Who got rid of Tyrod? 

Yeah, lets blame Rex some more. 

I was in the camp that wanted to keep Tyrod for one more year because he was on a great one year deal and could have kept Allen from starting for at least a year. But that being said the offense with a run first and don't turn the ball over mentality ranked 9th in 2015 and 10th in 2016. IF the Bills had a top 5 defense like they had in 2014 those years the team would have had a top 5 defense to go along with a top 10 offense. A top 5 defensive unit and a capable top 10 offense is a recipe for a 10+ win team, Rex's poor execution of the defense cost the team a chance at 2 playoff appearances. 

On 11/5/2018 at 1:46 AM, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

Because he came in to a fourth ranked defense and ruined it.   Because he came in got a blank check and got all the talent he wanted in year one.  Incognito clay harvin McCoy etc and the team was no better with. Lot more spending.  The team had zero discipline.  

12 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And yet there's a pretty good metric out there called DVOA. And the ranks were as follows:

2013: O=25th, D=4th

2014: O=26th, D=2nd

2015: O=9th, D=24th

2016: O=10th, D=27th

2017: O=26th, D=15th

2018: O=32nd, D=2nd

You don't think going from 2nd to 24th is destroying the Defense? It's the same kind of drop off as going from 10th to 32nd on Offense.

Please let me know when the NFL stops choosing who wins games by point differential.

I also found it interesting that you left this bit out when you quoted me:

In citing to Football Outsiders, you also did not consider that, according to your own authority, our defenses while Rex was the coach were especially hard hit by injury each year.

Interestingly, our adjusted games lost rankings due to injury for defense by year were:

11th in 2014

28th in 2015

28th in 2016

8th in 2017

Notice the correlation . . . hmmmm.

Of course, the Rex haters will not not acknowledge how hard hit our defense was by injury in 2015 and 2016 - even according to their own authority.  

Oh well.

Edited by Peter