Why did Rex only get 2 years?

15 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

Really 16th overall defense is driving into the ditch?

McDumbass gets blown out on a weekly basis I'd say that's worse . 

Nope, but taking an "solid" (for arguments sake) defense and trying to fit his scheme to it was stupid.  Just the tip of the iceberg for all the dumb crap he did.  

It amazes me how some have their own narrative and just refuse to let anything get in the way of that.  One of the narratives is that Rex was disorganized and that McCoach is very organized. 

I remember that Rex was vilified when there were only 11 guys on the field after one of the DBs got hurt and an assistant coach did not send in a replacement.  The Bills, under McClappy, had 15 freaking guys on the field against the Pats last year and hardly anyone said boo. 

I have been watching football for decades (and used to play).  Nevertheless, I have never  seen 15 guys on the field.  The narrative is still that McDermott is McOrganization.  

Rex could cure cancer but some here would complain that he took too long to do so.

P.S. As I sit here on election day, I always have wondered if some of the vitriol is because Rex introduced Trump at a campaign rally.  I noticed that there were some in the media that did not take too kindly to that and the tone here seemed to begin to change at that time.  From my own perspective, when it comes to football or entertainment etc., I don't let people's political or personal views effect my judgment of them.

Edited by Peter

ironically, Rex was able to get a decent offense put together and found "his QB" in Tyrod, but it was the defense, which had been good, that did him in.

When Rex actually tried the defense was good, like the MNF game in NE when Brady was on his back kicking his little footsies in rage most of the game. But that takes a LOT of time with the players because Rex's defense is so complicated. That's why it works when it works. But coaches need to teach it and be on top of things, and that takes time and effort.

The problem was that Rex wasn't putting in that work. THAT is why he was canned early I think. His record at .500 for 2 seasons was actually better than any Bills coach since Wade, including McDermott.

Whaley was doing everything he could to create chaos, just like he did with St. Doug, and Rex's brother is a walking disaster, so I think Pegula wanted people who could at least act like professionals running the team. Being able to put together a coherent sentence is a plus too.

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

It amazes me how some have their own narrative and just refuse to let anything get in the way of that.  One of the narratives is that Rex was disorganized and that McCoach is very organized. 

I remember that Rex was vilified when there were only 11 guys on the field after one of the DBs got hurt and an assistant coach did not send in a replacement.  The Bills, under McClappy, had 15 freaking guys on the field against the Pats last year and hardly anyone said boo. 

I have been watching football for decades (and used to play).  Nevertheless, I have never  seen 15 guys on the field.  The narrative is still that McDermott is McOrganization.  

Rex could cure cancer but some here would complain that he took too long to do so.

P.S. As I sit here on election day, I always have wondered if some of the vitriol is because Rex introduced Trump at a campaign rally.  I noticed that there were some in the media that did not take too kindly to that and the tone here seemed to begin to change at that time.  From my own perspective, when it comes to football or entertainment etc., I don't let people's political or personal views effect my judgment of them.

Introducing Trump had nothing to do with it as Ryan was still in a honeymoon phase well before his second season kicked off. Hell, I don’t think the draft had been held by the time Trump came to town.

If it were a single offense for too many men on the field, Ryan would have gotten more slack but it happened several times. There were also several instances when our defense was confused on the field when communicating with each other and the sidelines, often when personnel was being run off the field while a sub package was running on. 

I haven’t seen a lot of McD being a master organizer, either. His in game decisions have been questioned numerous times.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Introducing Trump had nothing to do with it as Ryan was still in a honeymoon phase well before his second season kicked off. Hell, I don’t think the draft had been held by the time Trump came to town.

If it were a single offense for too many men on the field, Ryan would have gotten more slack but it happened several times. There were also several instances when our defense was confused on the field when communicating with each other and the sidelines, often when personnel was being run off the field while a sub package was running on. 

I haven’t seen a lot of McD being a master organizer, either. His in game decisions have been questioned numerous times.

Like this past weekend.

Because he sucked at that time.......we got spoiled with the Swartz of things that he dismantled completely......it was an entertaining circus atmosphere at that time to say the least.......its okay him and his fat brother Rob rode off in the sunset in that stupid two seater bike......hopefully that pretty much sums it up

On 11/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, Peter said:

God forbid that anyone should have a freaking personality.

The Clemson helmet was because his son went to Clemson and he had some fun with it.

The dog biscuit thing was for charity and the Bills supported it.

Rex is a sports fan as are most of us on this board.  He went to a world series game in Cleveland that did not interfere with his responsibilities (and, as I recall, left early to get back to Buffalo).  Oh my God!?!  The horror.  He also went to Sabres games . . . before they actually were good.  God forbid!

The Pegulas and the Bills embraced the fact that he had a personality and even had a web show prior to the second season.

Rex also embraced Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills.  I liked that.  I also liked that he knew who Walt Patulski was and could reference him while he was having fun when he jumped in on a media conference call with the Patriots or knew who the hell Cookie Gilchrist was and could naturally recite - Lookie lookie here comes Cookie - without any prompting.

Say what you will, the guy was all in on the Bills and Buffalo. We are now stuck with an unwatchable team that McCoach has sucked the life out of.  If you have any doubt, take a look at the empty seats in the stands in December and the $7 tickets now.

P.S.  People also claimed that he disrespected Billy B and Brady. He had a funny way of doing that.  Rex actually said that they probably were both the best in the history of the game.

Gotta say. I really like Rex as a person. I think he's a better football mind than most give him credit for. That said, I think his friendliness as a person, was his biggest flaw as a coach. He didn't have discipline on his team, and treated his players like friends instead of employees.