Why did Rex only get 2 years?

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is getting old.

Mario went on strike, we had a lot of injuries (especially DBs), Gilmore decided that tackling was not part of his job, we did not have a first round pick prior to his first year, and both our top picks prior to his second year were hurt or got hurt.

Whatever.  If you think that Rex does not know defense, that is up to you.

He did seem to, I agree. Perhaps he didn't like playing cornerback whereas Rex kept sending him back in coverage. ;)

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is getting old.

Mario went on strike, we had a lot of injuries (especially DBs), Gilmore decided that tackling was not part of his job, we did not have a first round pick prior to his first year, and both our top picks prior to his second year were hurt or got hurt.

Whatever.  If you think that Rex does not know defense, that is up to you.

The results spoke for themselves. And obviously all 32 teams agree with my assessment of him as coach because he isn't a coach anymore. He lived off of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis and once he didn't have those caliber of players his scheme was garbage. Rob ran the same scheme every where he went and it was a failure every time.

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

He did seem to, I agree. Perhaps he didn't like playing cornerback whereas Rex kept sending him back in coverage. ;)

Mario did the same thing with the Dolphins when he took their money . . . even though he had claimed they were running the scheme he wanted.

Just now, Luka said:

The results spoke for themselves. And obviously all 32 teams agree with my assessment of him as coach because he isn't a coach anymore. He lived off of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis and once he didn't have those caliber of players his scheme was garbage. Rob ran the same scheme every where he went and it was a failure every time.

Rex is getting paid a lot of money to work one day a week.  It is the same with Cowher and others.  Not a bad gig.  Also, it is a lot better than having to put up with some of the hysterical criticism. 

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Mario did the same thing with the Dolphins when he took their money . . . even though he had claimed they were running the scheme he wanted.

Rex is getting paid a lot of money to work one day a week.  It is the same with Cowher and others.  Not a bad gig.  Also, it is a lot better than having to put up with some of the hysterical criticism. 

Not a bad gig for someone who can't coach worth a *****, I agree.  Gruden probably should've kept his one day a week gig too.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

The Bills defense was strong with Schwartz and even Petit. Rex came in and ruined it and the entire team, with help of course from his inept brother.

Actually, Gilmore and Rex deserved each other imo. They were both lazy and content to cash their huge, undeserved checks at the expense of Bills Fans, and the people who wrote said checks.

9 hours ago, Peter said:

The following is not a popular opinion on this board:

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was a huge mistake firing Rex.  There is no way a coach should be fired in less than two years --- especially a coach who had been the most successful coach for the Buffalo Bills for the past nearly two decades and who was being undermined behind the scenes with leaks etc.  Rex should have been allowed to at least continue for the term of his contract.

To put things in perspective, the point differential was much worse last year than the year before and the relative offensive and defensive rankings were worse last year than the year before.  

As much as Rex got grief for having11 men on the field (when, as it turns out, a DB got hurt and a defensive back coach presumably did not send a replacement in the game), Rex never had 15 freaking guys on the field as McCoach did last year against the Pats.  I do not think that I ever have seen any other team or coach have 15 guys on the field at the same time.  

Rex also had personality whereas the current guy is McMilktoast and cannot help repeating his stolen mantra the "process."  McCoach is Dick Jauron without the charisma.  Between  his personality and what he has done with the team, he has sucked the life out of the team (and my view of the team under him).

I would take Rex over the current guy and thought it was unfair to undermine and then fire Rex in less than two years. As I state above, Rex should have been allowed to at least coach the team through the term of his contract.

As much as I am not particularly impressed with McCoach, I also think that it would be unfair to fire him in less than two years.

Both sucked but let’s not lose sight that the Bills were Rex’ second head gig while this is McD’s first. 

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

The Bills defense was strong with Schwartz and even Petit. Rex came in and ruined it and the entire team, with help of course from his inept brother.

Actually, Gilmore and Rex deserved each other imo. They were both lazy and content to cash their huge, undeserved checks at the expense of Bills Fans, and the people who wrote said checks.

Clearly, I disagree.   I did like both Pettine and Schwartz though.

P.S.  I do not recall that Schwartz ever lifted a finger to try to get Mario to go to the Eagles.

P.P.S. The Bills had a bunch of injuries on defense as I recall (particularly among the DBs) in addition to Mario being on strike and Gilmore deciding that tackling was not part of the job.  Rex also did not have the benefit of having a first round pick his first year or healthy top two draft choices his second.

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not sure he did actually.... I thought so at the time... he tried despite being horribly misused until the London game and then after the bye seemed to jack it in after that. But I now think he just hit the wall. He went to Miami and looked totally finished the next season. I think his body just gave up on him.

Clearly, I disagree.   I did like both Pettine and Schwartz though.

P.S.  I do not recall that Schwartz ever lifted a finger to try to get Mario to go to the Eagles.

P.P.S. The Bills had a bunch of injuries on defense as I recall (particularly among the DBs) in addition to Mario being on strike and Gilmore deciding that tackling was not part of the job.  Rex also did not have the benefit of having a first round pick his first year or healthy top two draft choices his second.

Rex drafted Shaq, no?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure he did actually.... I thought so at the time... he tried despite being horribly misused until the London game and then after the bye seemed to jack it in after that. But I now think he just hit the wall. He went to Miami and looked totally finished the next season. I think his body just gave up on him.

Both Mario and his body gave up.

P.S. Although I loved Arsene and did not want to see him go, I completely support Unai Emery.  He is such a better coach than McCoach . . . seems to even be more articulate in English than McCoach.

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Rex drafted Shaq, no?

When was Shaq finally able to step on the field?

When did Shaq actually fully recover from his surgery?

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

He won't ever get offered an NFL HC gig again. If he wanted to be a DC there would be offers, but not as many as in the past, because (and this isn't so much Rex's fault as the Pegulas for not noticing it) the NFL has increasingly moved away from the Rex Ryan style of defense. Most teams having success now get pressure with their front 4, use the blitz sparingly, play a safety in the box and a zone based cover 3 behind. That isn't Rex's scheme.

P.S. Although I loved Arsene and did not want to see him go, I completely support Unai Emery.  He is such a better coach than McCoach . . . seems to even be more articulate in English than McCoach.

I love the way he says EXPLAAAIIIN with about 9 vowels in the middle of the word. So far, so good. Thought they played really well on Saturday and were slightly unlucky not to win. I was a massive Arsene fan but I think it probably was time. Not because he didn't still know the job but because he had become so divisive among the fan base it was stopping the club moving forward in a unified manner. When they went 1-0 down on Saturday the stadium let out a massive roar of encouragement as the boys kicked off. Last season that would have been met by a chorus of boos. That stuff might sound insignificant but I think it had got to the point where it was detrimental. 

9 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

Rex was a "defensive guru" who took over a team with a literally Super Bowl caliber defense that regressed significantly when he took over. Rex took over a good team, that should have become great under him. Our offense needs a total overhaul. Whether or not McBeane is doing it the right way can certainly be questioned. But it's apparent that it had to be done, so it's only fair to see what they can do with this big chunk of money we're gonna have this offseason. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Rex's defense not performing, the players criticizing his defense, his brother joining the staff, the Clemson helmets and bike riding, along with the in-fighting with Whaley. 

I think the owner took his team back. 

Now, clearly you look back, and Whaley, yes Whaley, assembled more talent than Beane or McDermott has so far. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Rex was a "defensive guru" who took over a team with a literally Super Bowl caliber defense that regressed significantly when he took over. 

"Fourth in the league is probably a little disappointing, to be honest with you, because that's not where my expectations are. I know we'll lead the league in defense. That's just the way it goes."

Is the OP saying that the Bills should have kept Wrecks longer or that McD should be shown the door after this year, if not right now?  In any case, I'd say that making the playoffs last year and having $58M in dead cap this year because of moves Beane made, while the defense is doing very well, buys him at least another season.  If anyone is on the hot seat, it's Beane.

The top 5 to 

59 minutes ago, Luka said:

Top 5 defense to one of the worst in the league and your forte is defense. Then you bring in one of the worst defense coordinators in the league, your brother, to really drive the nail in the coffin. Rex is a damn clown.

This is so overused and untrue. Yes they were 4th the year before Rex got here. But that was a big jump from the 20's for a few years in a row before. It was not some sustained amazing defense that Rex destroyed. It happens all the time a Defense gets better for a year and then regresses. 

And they never became the worst or one of the worst under Rex. They dropped to 15th or middle of the pack. That kind of drop happens all the time. 

Even more, the offense actually improved under Rex. So in some ways the tam was becoming more balanced.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He won't ever get offered an NFL HC gig again. If he wanted to be a DC there would be offers, but not as many as in the past, because (and this isn't so much Rex's fault as the Pegulas for not noticing it) the NFL has increasingly moved away from the Rex Ryan style of defense. Most teams having success now get pressure with their front 4, use the blitz sparingly, play a safety in the box and a zone based cover 3 behind. That isn't Rex's scheme.

Rex probably will not coach again in the NFL. 

After working terrible hours for nearly 365 days a year, I also cannot blame former head coaches like Cowher, Rex, and others to "take some time off" by working in the media.

Just now, Peter said:

Rex probably will not coach again in the NFL. 

After working terrible hours for nearly 365 days a year, I also cannot blame former head coaches like Cowher, Rex, and others to "take some time off" by working in the media.

Rex is also perfect for media. Even when he was on the Jets, there was something I really liked about Rex. He's got charisma. He's got much more football knowledge than most give him credit for. He's well spoken. He just doesn't have the discipline to be in charge of a whole football team.