Why did Rex only get 2 years?

6 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

Because his roster was full of talented players underachieving not a bunch of nobody's on offense

4 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

The defense was ranked 16th which is average.

Our current offense is averaging under 11 points a game and is ranked dead last. 

Look, I get it that the O sux and they DO sux.  But the point the guy is trying to make, that you are blindly comparing the worst O to, is that the D under WREX regressed horribly, the Bills had a top 5 D and it went south due to WREX.  Thats one of the top reasons he was canned.......had an AWESOME D to start with....took that toy and busted it all up in no time.

There comes a point where consistently firing people becomes counter productive.

There's a universe of Head Coach eligibles of about 50 people (including employed coaches).

If you give an OC and HC a offensive roster of spam; and fire them because they can't make a steak dinner out of it --- potential HC's will read this as a hot headed owner to be avoided.

You can't fire every two years and expect to later attract a Cowher, Reid, Belicheck etc. Though you might attract a Hue Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, 87168 said:

does it matter? McD is the team coach, not defensive coord. -offensive shortcomings are still his doing.

No it doesn't matter.  However, at least MCD has one side of the ball playing well....unlike Ryan.

7 minutes ago, DKBills25 said:

Idk , tbh this Mcd era is the worst bills team I’ve ever seen offensively .. I expect him to be fired but not bean 

To me that is the wrong way round if you are firing one fire the man who has been in charge of building a talentless offense. I do still think that falls on the GM more than the coach, though Sean clearly has more personnel control than most.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Peter said:

The following is not a popular opinion on this board:

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was a huge mistake firing Rex.  There is no way a coach should be fired in less than two years --- especially a coach who had been the most successful coach for the Buffalo Bills for the past nearly two decades and who was being undermined behind the scenes with leaks etc.  Rex should have been allowed to at least continue for the term of his contract.

To put things in perspective, the point differential was much worse last year than the year before and the relative offensive and defensive rankings were worse last year than the year before.  

As much as Rex got grief for having11 men on the field (when, as it turns out, a DB got hurt and a defensive back coach presumably did not send a replacement in the game), Rex never had 15 freaking guys on the field as McCoach did last year against the Pats.  I do not think that I ever have seen any other team or coach have 15 guys on the field at the same time.  

Rex also had personality whereas the current guy is McMilktoast and cannot help repeating his stolen mantra the "process."  McCoach is Dick Jauron without the charisma.  Between  his personality and what he has done with the team, he has sucked the life out of the team (and my view of the team under him).

I would take Rex over the current guy and thought it was unfair to undermine and then fire Rex in less than two years. As I state above, Rex should have been allowed to at least coach the team through the term of his contract.

As much as I am not particularly impressed with McCoach, I also think that it would be unfair to fire him in less than two years.

Undermined by....leaks??

Anyway, he had the biggest mouth in the building.  And it's not like he wasn't given a chance at being HC.  Maybe you forgot that he drove the Jets off a cliff before the Bills picked him out of a Jersey dumpster.  Every Jets fan knew what was coming for the Bills.

This revisionist Rex hagiography is more a symptom (sadly) of the current state of the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Undermined by....leaks??

Anyway, he had the biggest mouth in the building.  And it's not like he wasn't given a chance at being HC.  Maybe you forgot that he drove the Jets off a cliff before the Bills picked him out of a Jersey dumpster.  Every Jets fan knew what was coming for the Bills.

This revisionist Rex hagiography is more a symptom (sadly) of the current state of the Bills.

In Peter's defence - this isn't a revisionist position for him. He believed this at the time too. I thought he was wrong then and is still wrong now but he always thought Rex was a good coach being undermined. I think he was a bad coach making a fool out of himself by half assing it.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Undermined by....leaks??

Yes, undermined by leaks.

If there are leaks that you are going to be fired since before the start of the second season, that is text book undermined.  It makes it pretty darn difficult to coach a team when your players keep on hearing that you are going to get fired.

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yes, undermined by leaks.

If there are leaks that you are going to be fired since before the start of the second season, that is text book undermined.  It makes it pretty darn difficult to coach a team when your players keep on hearing that you are going to get fired.

Yet his owner put those rumors to rest publicly, saying it would be wrong to fire Rex before the season's end.

But then he fired him before the season's end.    But if you feel you are on the hot seat in the beginning of the season, you would best do a better job that season.  Rex didn't.

Pegula was the one who told Rex before the season, improve or you're gone. 

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In Peter's defence - this isn't a revisionist position for him. He believed this at the time too. I thought he was wrong then and is still wrong now but he always thought Rex was a good coach being undermined. I think he was a bad coach making a fool out of himself by half assing it.

Thanks for pointing out that this is not a new position.

As for the rest, I obviously disagree.

I think "half assing it" and "buffoon" (a word others have used) are just something you guys use to fit your narrative.

I am not sure why having a personality is now something that is bad. 

I cannot listen to McCoach and his drivel anymore - and he is doing the same thing to the team. He has sucked the life out of this team.

Rex should have been given at least through the end of his contract.

And, as much as McClappy bothers me and I have real doubts about whether to trust McBeane going forward, I don't think that they should be fired in less than two years. 

Edited by Peter

7 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

Not sure why he was fired, I do know there were bidding wars for his services once fired by Buffalo; a sought HC candidate!

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yet his owner put those rumors to rest publicly, saying it would be wrong to fire Rex before the season's end.

But then he fired him before the season's end.    But if you feel you are on the hot seat in the beginning of the season, you would best do a better job that season.  Rex didn't.

Pegula was the one who told Rex before the season, improve or you're gone. 

As much as I love the Pegulas, firing their head coach in less than two years (and firing that head coach) was a monumental mistake. 

You can read all of my old posts for the reasons why. 

As for the leaks, someone leaked to Vic before the season and to certain guys like LaCanfora during the season . . . and just before the biggest game of the year that year (Pittsburgh) that he was going to get fired. 

I always suspected that Whaley was behind those leaks.  Karma got Whaley in the end.

Yes, those leaks (and presumably whatever else Whaley did behind the scenes) undermined the head football coach. It is never good to be the head football coach when there are constant rumors that you are going to get fired.  It is not good for the coach and it does nothing to help the coach with the players he is supposed to lead.  I wonder if that is one of the reasons a guy like Gilmore thought that tackling was not part of his job.

Just my two cents. I am under no illusions that I am going to convince the Rex haters to come around. 

The sad news is that both the Rex haters and the rest of us are stuck with this completely unwatchable team that McBeane have sucked the life out of and gets blown out on a regular basis.

(Not so) Fun Facts:

We now have a -145 point differential with only 9 games played.

The next worst team is the Raiders who are -111.

We were - 57 last year and + 21 the year before.

Edited by Peter