Why did Rex only get 2 years?

1 hour ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

Through the same number of games this is how they compare.

Rex

12-13

McDermott

11-14

Yes, the D did have it's problems under Rex but it was ranked 16th overall.

McDermott currently has the worst offense in modern NFL history. That's a bigger issue IMO. 

Look at the dead cap number. We're rebuilding and we currently have no qb. Rex would be 0-8 right now and we wouldn't have made the playoffs a year ago.

20 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Dick Jauron had charisma?  That I dont recall.

Yeah.. what is that?

Clown on Rex as much as you want but ever having Tyrod and Incognito was all him.   Starting to feel like McDermott got very lucky with Rex and Whaleys roster last year.

If Allen continues to be a train wreck next year the Bills will be looking for a new head coach in January 2020.  The Pegulas made a giant mistake hiring a coach and letting him hand pick a GM.

Edited by thenorthremembers

It's pretty simple to me, and it makes me want to look at their other businesses to see if I can find any hints of dysfunction to this level.

Nobody knew who was their boss whole Rex was here. Whaley was the GM, supposedly had control over the interview process, didn't want Rex. Was probably right given the personnel on defense. 

The Pegulas were wowed by Rex and hired him outside of the GM, completely undercutting him. Then you saw the debacle with Tyrod, whether he'd play or not at the end. He needed surgery but wanted to play. Rex needed a win. Whaley was looking at the bigger picture trying to sit him. And the owners ultimately had to make the decision because their was no clear chain of command, and no clear outline of job responsibilities for either.

They then promptly threw everyone out in front of the media, and it was well known by that point, Whaley isn't a great communicator.

I'm just going to stop. Watching how the Pegulas do things with their teams make me wonder how they are so successful. Happy they kept the teams here, but wow is it bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rex promised to win right away and the roster was built to win right away as soon as he arrived.  He didn't win enough.

McDermott promised to win long term and build the roster that way.  Beane is building the roster that way but that also includes some days like yesterday.

Have to remember that Rex and Whaley made roster decisions and gave contracts to players that ended up not performing.  The last two seasons have been about McDermott and Beane unloading those contracts and working through the dead cap to restructure the roster.  

With that said, this has to be worse than anyone thought it would be.  

5 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

Because the team gave up on him... and he had was a circus level distraction with all hype and no real answers.

5 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

My feeling is that he had a loaded defense from the previous coach and he destroyed it.  He seemed that he did not have any viable plan.  He hired his brother.   He was a clown.  Just a few examples. Just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Playoffs.

Get ready cause we’re going..

Are we going to do ground and pound?

Yeah.. you’re darn right we are.. 

Maybe the Pegulas were concerned the Wrecks was going to pull out the "let's go eat a #¥<<[%+ snack" speech when the Cub Scouts came to visit.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Peter said:

The following is not a popular opinion on this board:

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was a huge mistake h[f]iring Rex.  There is no way a coach should be fired in less than two years --- especially a coach who had been the most successful coach for the Buffalo Bills for the past nearly two decades and who was being undermined behind the scenes with leaks etc.  Rex should have been allowed to at least continue for the term of his contract.

To put things in perspective, the point differential was much worse last year than the year before and the relative offensive and defensive rankings were worse last year than the year before.  

As much as Rex got grief for having11 men on the field (when, as it turns out, a DB got hurt and a defensive back coach presumably did not send a replacement in the game), Rex never had 15 freaking guys on the field as McCoach did last year against the Pats.  I do not think that I ever have seen any other team or coach have 15 guys on the field at the same time.  

Rex also had personality whereas the current guy is McMilktoast and cannot help repeating his stolen mantra the "process."  McCoach is Dick Jauron without the charisma.  Between  his personality and what he has done with the team, he has sucked the life out of the team (and my view of the team under him).

I would take Rex over the current guy and thought it was unfair to undermine and then fire Rex in less than two years. As I state above, Rex should have been allowed to at least coach the team through the term of his contract.

As much as I am not particularly impressed with McCoach, I also think that it would be unfair to fire him in less than two years.

Fixed.

His big mouth and his style. McDermott says all the right things to the media.

47 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Rex got 2 years cause he was a buffoon........end of story 

And McDermott is right there too.

Rex coached the most talent roster Buffalo has had since the Superbowl years (2015 roster was loaded) and underperformed against expectation. He was a half assed Head Coach and it was right that he was fired.

McDermott has coached significantly less talented rosters. What is clear though is that he had pretty significant input into the tear down of these rosters. He gets next year on the basis that he and Beane seem to have bene hired on the basis of this "it will take two years to rebuild" narrative, whereas Rex came to town declaring he was going to win and win immediately.

I am now for the first time of the view that McDermott's seat is warming up. I can't believe the owner expected a team this utterly inept. 2 weeks ago I'd have said it was 99% certain

McDermott and Beane would be back in 2019. Now I am down around 80%. A couple more embarrassments and their position starts to look untenable. The 0-16 Browns were in most games. So far the 2-7 Bills have been blown out big on 5 occasions. The bigger worry is of those 5 only the Chargers and the Packers are teams I would say are playoff standard teams. The Ravens, the Colts and the Bears are in various states of transition themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

Through the same number of games this is how they compare.

Rex

12-13

McDermott

11-14

The difference in the salary cap is massive when comparing those two eras.  When Rex came in, the Bills splurged in Free Agency, essentially forming a geriatric all-star team.  When McDermott came in, they had to "pay off the credit cards" from the previous regime. 

If Rex had to purge cap instead of eating up the future, he'd have a different record.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1