Why did Rex only get 2 years?

The following is not a popular opinion on this board:

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was a huge mistake firing Rex.  There is no way a coach should be fired in less than two years --- especially a coach who had been the most successful coach for the Buffalo Bills for the past nearly two decades and who was being undermined behind the scenes with leaks etc.  Rex should have been allowed to at least continue for the term of his contract.

To put things in perspective, the point differential was much worse last year than the year before and the relative offensive and defensive rankings were worse last year than the year before.  

As much as Rex got grief for having 11 men on the field (when, as it turns out, a DB got hurt and a defensive back coach presumably did not send a replacement in the game), Rex never had 15 freaking guys on the field as McCoach did last year against the Pats.  I do not think that I ever have seen any other team or coach have 15 guys on the field at the same time.  

Rex also had personality whereas the current guy is McMilktoast and cannot help repeating his stolen mantra the "process."  McCoach is Dick Jauron without the charisma.*  Between  his personality and what he has done with the team, he has sucked the life out of the team (and my view of the team under him).

I would take Rex over the current guy and thought it was unfair to undermine and then fire Rex in less than two years. As I state above, Rex should have been allowed to at least coach the team through the term of his contract.

As much as I am not particularly impressed with McCoach, I also think that it would be unfair to fire him in less than two years.

* For the younger readers, Dick Jauron did not have any charisma . . . and neither does McCoach.  This was a joke.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Through the same number of games this is how they compare.

Rex

12-13

McDermott

11-14

2 hours ago, bills11 said:

Because there was a ton of problems behind the scenes and also the fact he was hired as a defensive Mastermind and the defence was quite poor ironically it was the offence that carried him .

Yes, the D did have it's problems under Rex but it was ranked 16th overall.

McDermott currently has the worst offense in modern NFL history. That's a bigger issue IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, swnybillsfan said:

rex was never part of a rebuild. he was, however, the guy in charge as the wheels were falling off the wagon. and "his side" of the ball, with help from his brother, was getting progressively worse all the time. 

The defense was ranked 16th which is average.

Our current offense is averaging under 11 points a game and is ranked dead last. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

The saving grace for Rex was Tyrod and a decent offensive staff including what is proving to be the best O line coach in the business.  The problem he kept running into was the defense was a hot mess, the team was undisciplined and there were a lot of mental errors.  There is a lot of positives on this team but a main reason they aren't succeeding is their O line is not good and the offensive coach can't make up for those deficiences

Its funny because as a defensive headcoach you would know what kind of offensive/players that would give you trouble and build an offensive based upon that. That is what Rex basically did here and ironically it was his stubbornness on defensive that got him fired.

On the other hand you got S. Mcdermottt who should know that same thing about what would cause his defensive trouble but did not go about it the same way.  He should know that in no way a QB like Peterman would strike fear in ANY defensive coordinator. Sometimes I feel like a defensive coordinator should know more about what makes a good quarterback even more that a offensive coodinator because he has to defend said player.

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

The following is not a popular opinion on this board:

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was a huge mistake firing Rex.  There is no way a coach should be fired in less than two years --- especially a coach who had been the most successful coach for the Buffalo Bills for the past nearly two decades and who was being undermined behind the scenes with leaks etc.  Rex should have been allowed to at least continue for the term of his contract.

To put things in perspective, the point differential was much worse last year than the year before and the relative offensive and defensive rankings were worse last year than the year before.  

As much as Rex got grief for having11 men on the field (when, as it turns out, a DB got hurt and a defensive back coach presumably did not send a replacement in the game), Rex never had 15 freaking guys on the field as McCoach did last year against the Pats.  I do not think that I ever have seen any other team or coach have 15 guys on the field at the same time.  

Rex also had personality whereas the current guy is McMilktoast and cannot help repeating his stolen mantra the "process."  McCoach is Dick Jauron without the charisma.  Between  his personality and what he has done with the team, he has sucked the life out of the team (and my view of the team under him).

I would take Rex over the current guy and thought it was unfair to undermine and then fire Rex in less than two years. As I state above, Rex should have been allowed to at least coach the team through the term of his contract.

As much as I am not particularly impressed with McCoach, I also think that it would be unfair to fire him in less than two years.

Dick Jauron had charisma?  That I dont recall.