Possible power play by Beane?

Many including me up until last week thought that Beane and McDermott are connected at the hip and that McDermott hand picked Bean. Even if this is true with things heading in this direction is it possible Beane lobbies for a coaching change?

Judging from the moves Beane has made (the incredible amount of trades he has made for players and picks) he seems to be more of a new age NFL executive. Think Howie Roseman or Les Snead.  What these types have in common is aggressive personel moves and aggressive coaches.  Enter McDermott where you can not use the word aggressive and McDermott in the same sentence unless it is this one.  I would have to think Beane knows the formula to beating the Patriots and other dominant teams is being more aggressive than they are.  McDermott will never be that guy and Beane knows this. 

So I don’t think it would be a total shock for Beane to make a pitch to the Pegulas in an offensive league to go with a young innovative offense oriented mind.  I would say it’s only about a 20% chance but at the same token it is larger than people may realize. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Many including me up until last week thought that Beane and McDermott are connected at the hip and that McDermott hand picked Bean. Even if this is true with things heading in this direction is it possible Beane lobbies for a coaching change?

Judging from the moves Beane has made (the incredible amount of trades he has made for players and picks) he seems to be more of a new age NFL executive. Think Howie Roseman or Les Snead.  What these types have in common is aggressive personel moves and aggressive coaches.  Enter McDermott where you can not use the word aggressive and McDermott in the same sentence unless it is this one.  I would have to think Beane knows the formula to beating the Patriots and other dominant teams is being more aggressive than they are.  McDermott will never be that guy and Beane knows this. 

So I don’t think it would be a total shock for Beane to make a pitch to the Pegulas in an offensive league to go with a young innovative offense oriented mind.  I would say it’s only about a 20% chance but at the same token it is larger than people may realize. 

No...100% speculation and conjecture. You did however suck me in with a provocative subject.

• Haha (+1) 2

I don’t see any scenario where McDermott is let go this offseason.

I know the coaches and gm are being judged extremely harshly and deservedly so, but I honestly don’t think they’ve shown their true skills yet. McDermott has coached two teams that really lack talent or experience, that severely limits what you can call, what gambles you can make, and what confidence you have in your team to execute. 

I see a lot of “fire Daboll” “fire McDermott” etc etc but these guys can scheme and call any play in the world, doesn’t mean anything if the players cannot execute it. Daboll has called some great plays and schemed some great routes and the quarterbacks miss the open guy. 

Plays where there’s good protection the receiver runs a lazy route or drops the ball. 

Good run and there’s holding. 

This season has really been the perfect storm of inexperienced and under talented offense. 

No matter what beane and McDermott and Daboll are here next year. Crossman and Castillo and even Frazier might have a little sweat on their brow though. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've never seen any separation in philosophy between the two but it's an interesting theory. 

However, a power play on the part of Beane is silly. He hasn't won anything and has no provable track record as a GM in the league. 

Now, if he can lobby for an offensive czar to develop the offense and over see Allen's development, you may be onto something. 

• Like (+1) 5

If only one were to be fired I'd go with Beane.  McDermott has at least shown he can win with a semi talented team even with a competent QB.

Bean e took over a decently talented roster and gutted it to the point even 90 mil blah blah blah won t be enough to fix.

Seats are starting to heat up.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 5

At least it's an interesting thought, OP

13 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Lol wow nothing but speculation.  If McD hand picked Beane how do you know McD also doesnt approve of these moves?  Do you know the workings of OBD?  None of us do...maybe these moves were McDs idea.  We just dont know.  

That's his point, that we don't know

1 minute ago, Skins Malone said:

If we dont know why would we think the GM who was picked by the HC is making a power play?

Maybe the standard narrative that they're joined at the hip is true. Maybe this other thing is true instead. He's just throwing it out there for discussion and even says there's maybe a 20% chance only

2 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Maybe the standard narrative that they're joined at the hip is true. Maybe this other thing is true instead. He's just throwing it out there for discussion and even says there's maybe a 20% chance only

Oh well if it's only a 20% chance...lol

Not only is this pure speculation, it's illogical, totally unfounded speculation.

What is Beane's motive for backstabbing his buddy (who got him the GM gig in the first place) and ousting him from the organization? 

Is the OP suggesting Beane sees the writing on the wall and is trying to save his own skin by pushing McD out the door while he retains his job as GM or what?

I just don't see this at all.

54 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

If we dont know why would we think the GM who was picked by the HC is making a power play?

There is no proof that McDermott hired Beane himself. If you want to talk about unfounded speculation.  It is much more likely that he put in a good word for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure about the thread title, but I do wonder if Beane and McDermott are a packaged deal in the eyes of the Pegulas?  Also, do Beane and McDermott feel they are a packaged deal?  Does Beane have the authority to fire McDermott or do both of them report directly to the Pegulas?  If the Pegulas fired McDermott, would Beane stay on?  If the Pegulas fired Beane, would McDermott stay on?  It's at least an interesting topic to discuss by the OP.

Neither is going anywhere. 

They needed to get the cap situation under control and this year is the result of that. 

The offseason will bring a new OL and a complete WR overhaul. 

I also think the first pic in the draft will be CB to pair with White. 

Edited by Yav

I guess you can call it a power move to fire your coach at rock bottom dog**** of a roster when he has virtually no chance and then blame it all on him when you've rebuilt, purposely made your coach look awful, fired him, and hire a new dude.

I call it a dick move. Geez Beane would be the last dude I'd want to coach for if I had 32 choices. I know coaches on the market see these things when they consider their options. We wouldn't be getting the pick of the litter firing a coach who breaks the playoff streak, progressively gets an impossible roster to work with, and is scapegoated out of town. 

All Beane’s done is create a massive hole in the salary cap.

Watching the NFL today it is amazing to me how many former Bills make plays on other teams.

So it’s as not about ‘winning’ FA as it is retaining existing players, drafting well & quality coaching.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Not a chance, we're dealing with highly principled men. That'd be like a dog turning on his master, even a dog wouldn't do that, it would be completely barbaric and savage. Beane and McD are in this together win or lose, any other scenario than that is chaotic and not likely.

• Haha (+1) 1