Notable Offensive Moves by McDermott

jrober38

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

This shouldn't be surprising from a guy who looks more and more like Dick Jauron 2.0.

Run the ball, take care of the football, cater to the weather, and play field position.

That's McDermott's offensive philosophy, and if anything unexpected happens, we're screwed. 

The offense cannot overcome negative plays, and if we turn the ball over we get blown out. 

Yeah we also love those FGs from deep inside Opponents side down 4. Scores. 

13 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Bills Offensive Moves with McDermott as HC.

- trade Sammy Watkins for 2nd round pick

- signed Vlad Ducasse,  Patrick DiMarco & Andre Holmes 

- don't pick Mahomes or Watson, trade out of the #10 spot

- trade up for Zay Jones

- draft Dion Dawkins

- sign Anquan Boldin 

- trade 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin

- bench Tyrod Taylor so Nate Peterman can play

- trade Cordy Glenn and a 1st round pick to move up in the draft 

- trade Tyrod Taylor 

- sign Chris Ivory 

- trade 1st rounder and two 2nds for Josh Allen

- sign Jeremy Kerley

- trade for Cory Coleman

- cut Cory Coleman

- start Nate Peterman as QB1

- trade AJ McCarron for 5th round pick 

- sign Derek Anderson

- sign Terrell Pryor 

How has McDermott earned another year to try and fix the offense? 

This is their OL, their group of QBs, their RBs, and their WRs, and the offense is scoring 10.6 PPG. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Add Hired Friend Juan Castillo. 

Wanted to Hire McCoy - Fired from his OC Job

Hired Dennison - Fired

Hired Dabol - Sucks and will be fired

Has a WR coach in charge of development of Josh Allen. 

These posts together make a horrendous list of offensive personnel (players and coaches) "misses" and "blunders" that seems to surpass even a compilation of the worst Bills personnel moves since the merger.  I'm not kidding.  Collect all the stupid moves the Bills have done between 1970 and 2016, and I doubt it would include as many bad moves, including trading away All Pro LT Jason Peters because of a contract dispute at a fire sale price and trading away future All Pro RB Marshawn Lynch for a fourth round pick.

I think the fact that the Bills went into the season with only 2 QBs on the active roster and no QB on the practice squad, necessitating the team signing street FAs whenever the starter goes down, is a reason to fire both McDermott and Beane.   At least a PS QB would know the playbook.

That it took the Bills a month after Peterman cemented his claim to QB incompetence to get around to bringing in a street FA QB as a backup, especially one who was out of football for 2 years,  is even more of a reason to can these two.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s only whining if you only post the negative. I’m not blindly positive, but I see both sides. Did we clear cap? Yes. Do we have a healthy draft outlook? Yes.  Did we pay Sammy $16 mil per year to be a distant third in catches, and 4th in TD’s?  No. 

BALANCE people, see the good with the bad. 

What is there to be positive about with the 2018 Bills?   Defensive stats are for losers, and the Bills are not only losers, they are likely to remain losers because of the crappy offensive position coaches McDermott has brought in.  A team can't win consistently in the NFL without having a viable offense, and the Bills don't have that.  They wouldn't have a viable offense in 2003 or 2000 or even 1990.  Maybe in 1920, this offensive offense might have been viable.

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If you don’t like the product stop paying for it - it’s that simple.

I have.  I gave up my seasons when the Bills renewed Jauron after 2008.  I haven't attended a Bills game in the last two seasons ... and I won't attend another as long as McDermott is coaching this team.   That's doesn't mean that I forfeit my right to express my opinion.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Fans can come on here and whine all they want.  McDermott and Beane are going no where.  You may see a few position coaches or Crossman get fired, but don’t expect any top players to be out of job anytime soon.

I predict that this post will age poorly.

13 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think you have had one too many Labatt’s.  I didn’t share my thoughts about anyone.  I just said it’s useless to complain because no one at the top is getting fired after 2018.  It’s not going to happen, but people here honestly think there’s a chance of McDermott or Beane losing their jobs.  

That would be like me repeatedly saying “the Bills aren’t going to make the playoff this year.”  We already know that, so what’s the point?

Guess what?  Just because you say something “isn’t going to happen” doesn’t mean it isn’t going to happen, or shouldn’t happen.  And either way, people are free to talk about it on a football discussion board.  

Guys with better records than McDermott get fired every season, sometimes during the season.   He is fielding a team that is non-competitive.  And that was not part of any plan.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well we could go all-in on McDermott’s philosophy. 

Use most of the 10 draft picks and $80MM on defense. See if we can build a defense that only allows 10 ppg. 

Now chained to this offense we’d be 4-5 with only 10 ppg allowed (which is the best defense ever) but we’d be able to play the field position and play complimentary football just like McDermott wants. 

I know you’re being sarcastic, but if McDermott is retained, I fully expect the Bills to use their top 3 overall pick on a d-lineman.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

So what you are saying is the Bill's will never be good no matter who comes in as HC and GM...ok go away

I think he's saying that the Bills could be good if they bring in an offensive minded coach to take them in a new direction, but giving McDermott and his flawed vision another year to waste draft picks and give away contracts to players who aren't good enough will perpetuate the cycle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes ever notice how most good offenses are never the same week to week and constantly evolving (keeping thier Core mindset intacted). In two years of McD they are still looking for that core mindset let alone week to week evolution 

You don't think the offense evolves week to week? Coaching wise I think Daboll draws up a good game. The play calling always caters to the QB playing. He doesn't ask Peterman to throw deep, tries to give Allen easy reads, gets creative with someone like Anderson starting. The players flat out don't execute. Is it really a coaching problem when your #1 wideout is overweight and plays like he's 5' 9" with as little effort as possible? Your "star" tight end is always nicked up and dogging it? Your RB is 30 years old and dances in the backfield until he gets tackled for a loss? Your former Pro Bowl linemen get traded or retire with absolutely no one to replace them? Your QBs are a group of guys that wouldn't be playing if not for Beane's chairty and a raw but talented rookie whom you planned to sit for a year so he was unprepared to start?

This is a personnel issue plain and simple, I don't think it's schematic at all. It's a hodge podge group of guys who won't play in the NFL again after they're released following this season. Maybe Benjamin, Clay and McCoy go somewhere else. But the guys on the line, Peterman, Anderson, Barkley, Holmes etc. won't be going anywhere else after this season. I said in another thread, they have to find scouts that can assess talent on offense as well as they can defense. And fast.

Edited by Luka

14 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Bills Offensive Moves with McDermott as HC.

- trade Sammy Watkins for 2nd round pick

- signed Vlad Ducasse,  Patrick DiMarco & Andre Holmes 

- don't pick Mahomes or Watson, trade out of the #10 spot

- trade up for Zay Jones

- draft Dion Dawkins

- sign Anquan Boldin 

- trade 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin

- bench Tyrod Taylor so Nate Peterman can play

- trade Cordy Glenn and a 1st round pick to move up in the draft 

- trade Tyrod Taylor 

- sign Chris Ivory 

- trade 1st rounder and two 2nds for Josh Allen

- sign Jeremy Kerley

- trade for Cory Coleman

- cut Cory Coleman

- start Nate Peterman as QB1

- trade AJ McCarron for 5th round pick 

- sign Derek Anderson

- sign Terrell Pryor 

How has McDermott earned another year to try and fix the offense? 

This is their OL, their group of QBs, their RBs, and their WRs, and the offense is scoring 10.6 PPG. 

It seems only fair that we hold off on the “How has McDermott earned another year to try and fix the offense?“ type questions until the season is over.

Believe it or not, the offense could show some signs of life between now and Week 17 once Allen returns.

6 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

So what you are saying is the Bill's will never be good no matter who comes in as HC and GM...ok go away

No but opinion is very strong (from the results so far) that if you keep Beanie and McBlowout than chances are we will not see any major turnaround in year 3 of their tenure with the offence....

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It seems only fair that we hold off on the “How has McDermott earned another year to try and fix the offense?“ type questions until the season is over.

Believe it or not, the offense could show some signs of life between now and Week 17 once Allen returns.

Why one Earth would you expect that to happen?

9 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

What I am saying is the Bills will not be good on Offense with this coach, and then will saddle with enough bad contracts that you will see the Bills Constant rebuild continue

4 minutes ago, Luka said:

You don't think the offense evolves week to week? Coaching wise I think Daboll draws up a good game. The play calling always caters to the QB playing. He doesn't ask Peterman to throw deep, tries to give Allen easy reads, gets creative with someone like Anderson starting. The players flat out don't execute. Is it really a coaching problem when your #1 wideout is overweight and plays like he's 5' 9" with as little effort as possible? Your "star" tight end is always nicked up and dogging it? Your RB is 30 years old and dances in the backfield until he gets tackled for a loss? Your former Pro Bowl linemen get traded or retire with absolutely no one to replace them? Your QBs are a group of guys that wouldn't be playing if not for Beane's chairty and a raw but talented rookie whom you planned to sit for a year so he was unprepared to start?

This is a personnel issue plain and simple, I don't think it's schematic at all. It's a hodge podge group of guys who won't play in the NFL again after they're released following this season. Maybe Benjamin, Clay and McCoy go somewhere else. But the guys on the line, Peterman, Anderson, Barkley, Holmes etc. won't be going anywhere else after this season. I said in another thread, they have to find scouts that can assess talent on offense as well as they can defense. And fast.

No it doesn't.

Every week the same passing schemes, ever week the same running concepts, So this is a personnel issue?  But this coaching staff selected this personnel???

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

What I am saying is the Bills will not be good on Offense with this coach, and then will saddle with enough bad contracts that you will see the Bills Constant rebuild continue

No it doesn't.

Every week the same passing schemes, ever week the same running concepts, So this is a personnel issue?  But this coaching staff selected this personnel???

It clearly does, you should go watch some actual breakdowns on Cover 1 or some other outlets. But ok.

And yes, Beane and McDermott are selecting these guys and they are doing it based off of what information they are being given from their scouting department.

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Why one Earth would you expect that to happen?

It’s not about expectations - it’s about having the proper amount of information to evaluate.

That being said, things could get better than averaging 6 points per game simply because Allen is vastly superior in pure talent to anything else they have put under center these last three games.

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

It clearly does, you should go watch some actual breakdowns on Cover 1 or some other outlets. But ok.

And yes, Beane and McDermott are selecting these guys and they are doing it based off of what information they are being given from their scouting department.

So no questions about their Offensive Scouting ability?

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It’s not about expectations - it’s about having the proper amount of information to evaluate.

That being said, things could get better than averaging 6 points per game simply because Allen is vastly superior in pure talent to anything else they have put under center these last three games.

The offense has been just as awful at scoring points with Allen as they have been with the other bums under centre. 

Allen was regressing since the first half against the Vikings prior to his injury. 

14 hours ago, billieve420 said:

None of these moves will matter if Allen becomes a franchise QB. Hopefully they give the kid a fighting chance and put a decent team around him next year.

This is not true. Allen can become a franchise QB and they can both be fired because they've tied themselves together and Beane in incompetent as a GM. How many coaches has Rivers had? Matt Ryan was very good but the HC was a relic and got fired. Luck should be a star and his HC also got fired because he was a relic. I don't believe in Beane and if that means firing McDermott I'm on board because he tied himself to his friend who is inept.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This might be a reasonable tactic if the problems on offense were simply the result of poor QBing, but they are not.  

• The OL cannot block for the running game and it cannot protect the passer, ergo no QB is going to look very good.  In 2016, the Bills had a good run blocking OL that wasn't so good at pass blocking.  McDermott's wisdom turned it into a mediocre run blocking OL that was lousy at pass blocking in 2017, and this year it's simply a crappy OL since the entire left side of the line, from the center outward (C, LG, LT) were replaced with bottom feeders who, at best, might be serviceable in the right situations.  That includes the vaunted Dion Dawkins who may very well be better suited to play inside rather than outside at OT.
  • The WRs are not NFL caliber.  They weren't NFL caliber WRs in 2017, either, and all of them were McDermott's "guys" not Whaley's.   Imagine how much better the Bills QB's might look if they had WRs who could get some separation and could actually catch the ball when it hits them in the hands ala Robert Woods or Sammy Watkins.  Imagine how much better the running game might be if the CBs and Ss were back pedaling at the snap because the Bills actually had a speedy WR who might take it to the house if he got loose, ala Marquise Goodwin.   The Bills WRs are so bad because McDermott was stupid enough to keep not one of these guys because he thinks that new-fangled forward pass is a fad ... like raccoon coats and swallowing live goldfish.
  • The TEs, except for Clay, are not NFL caliber either, and the Bills don't use Clay correctly.  He's a decent pass catching TE who can block.  He should be getting 10 targets a game because next to a good running game, a sure-handed TE is a young QB's best friend ... and around the league, young QBs from Dak Prescott to Patrick Mahomes prove and re-prove that every damn game.
  • The running game sucks mostly because of the OL but why are the Bills relying on 2 thirty year old RBs and a waiver wire refugee who's more of a ST player than a potential replacement for the older RBs?  Teams are finding RBs not only all through the draft, but among UDFAs as well.  Denver has a nice looking kid in Lindley that they got as an UDFA.
  • The QB coach of the Bills, David Culley, is a former WR coach who only coached QBs for a couple of years at a small collegiate program thirty years ago.  THIS is the guy McDermott thinks is a suitable coach for a rookie QB for whom the Bills gave up so much talent and draft capital, especially when that rookie QB is in need of so much improvement in key fundamentals like his footwork????

Plain and simple, I think that there's little hope for Josh Allen to succeed under McDermott/Beane.  He's been set up to fail by the Neanderthal offensive philosophy, the total incompetence in evaluating offensive talent, and the poor choice of position coaching personnel.  Drafting a first round QB and giving him absolutely no support in terms of protection and targets should get any NFL HC/GM fired, the sooner the better IMO.  McDermott and his henchman Beane are what they are -- incompetent -- and they aren't going to miraculously improve between now and January.

As the analysts pointed out last week, firing Jackson and Haley in mid-season gives the Browns an opportunity to start identifying potential candidates earlier than other teams.  The Bills should do the same, particularly since they should be looking for both a GM and HC.

Edited by SoTier

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

well, at least we going for a record