Notable Offensive Moves by McDermott

jrober38

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Bills Offensive Moves with McDermott as HC.

- trade Sammy Watkins for 2nd round pick

- signed Vlad Ducasse,  Patrick DiMarco & Andre Holmes 

- don't pick Mahomes or Watson, trade out of the #10 spot

- trade up for Zay Jones

- draft Dion Dawkins

- sign Anquan Boldin 

- trade 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin

- bench Tyrod Taylor so Nate Peterman can play

- trade Cordy Glenn and a 1st round pick to move up in the draft 

- trade Tyrod Taylor 

- sign Chris Ivory 

- trade 1st rounder and two 2nds for Josh Allen

- sign Jeremy Kerley

- trade for Cory Coleman

- cut Cory Coleman

- start Nate Peterman as QB1

- trade AJ McCarron for 5th round pick 

- sign Derek Anderson

- sign Terrell Pryor 

How has McDermott earned another year to try and fix the offense? 

This is their OL, their group of QBs, their RBs, and their WRs, and the offense is scoring 10.6 PPG. 

Also remember Beane was trying to trade both first rounders to move up to 5 with Denver to take Allen,   This guy is a loose as Whaley was with picks.   If I believed this crap about building the team, I would of taken 6 guys in the first 3 rounds and made no trades up.   Wonder if this team would be better with some young OL, WRs or a TE taken in the first 3 rounds, on rookie contracts.   But hey looks like were going to have a top 5 pick in a draft where the talent in those picks is on the DL, that should help our inept offense.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This is a perfectly legitimate thread.

But the next 24 hours is full of garbage venting. Venting is fine, but NOT with every guy who has a thought. It’s a poop storm and I wonder how it might be better.Nothing wrong with that.  Someone else suggested a single thread for whining. I don’t know the answer and I don’t fault any of the mods. It’s a tough deal. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The NFL now is drastically different than it was 3 years ago.

The current NFL's rules, and their attempt to eliminate big hits and call more holding and PI calls makes it incredibly easy to score points.

The current NFL is about scoring points because that's what the rules encourage. You're encouraged to throw the ball, because in addition to your expected gain (YPA) being greater than your average run (YPC), there are additional penalties baked in (roughing the passer, defensive holding, defensive PI) which making passing a much more lucrative option than running the ball. 

I'm not saying the run is useless, but I am saying that if you can't pass the football extremely well in 2018 you probably won't be very successful. Right now we have the worst offense in at least 20 years and the worst passing game in the league. 

Our coach is completely ignoring rule changes and basic probabilities by wanting to keep playing defense first, trying to win the field position battle and limit turnovers on offense.

What we do philosophically is nothing like what you see from any of the top teams around the league.  

Running the ball can still control games though.  It doesn't matter if teams can score easier.  Running the ball slows the game down and let's the solid defense put pressure on the opposing QB.  Passing is certainly a necessity to some degree as well but running the ball still wins games too.  BTW Of course we aren't where we want to be because we are still in the early stages of a rebuild!  When Allen was in we were competitive.  Injuries suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

But the next 24 hours is full of garbage venting. Venting is fine, but NOT with every guy who has a thought. It’s a poop storm and I wonder how it might be better.Nothing wrong with that.  Someone else suggested a single thread for whining. I don’t know the answer and I don’t fault any of the mods. It’s a tough deal. 

I don't think it's whining to post all the notable moves this regime has done on the offensive side of the ball.

When you read this list, and see who these guys targeted through trades, and who they traded up for in the draft, it isn't all that surprising we have the worst offense the NFL has seen in 20 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

No offense, but you can ***** off with that attitude.  Adjusted for era this is THE WORST offense in the history of the NFL.  Fans have a right to "whine" if they want to.  You, Murphy, Tasker and Brown can all go circle jerk each other about how they are moving in the right direction and how the way they handled the QB situation was prudent, but it is a lie.  Have a nice night.

I think you have had one too many Labatt’s.  I didn’t share my thoughts about anyone.  I just said it’s useless to complain because no one at the top is getting fired after 2018.  It’s not going to happen, but people here honestly think there’s a chance of McDermott or Beane losing their jobs.  

That would be like me repeatedly saying “the Bills aren’t going to make the playoff this year.”  We already know that, so what’s the point?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

None of these moves will matter if Allen becomes a franchise QB. Hopefully they give the kid a fighting chance and put a decent team around him next year.

Why would you expect that to happen when looking at their track record for roster moves on the offensive side of the ball? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I knew these guys were morons the day they traded Watkins. 

Funny, I knew the previous regime was a joke the moment they traded up to select Watkins, passing on Khalil Mack.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think it's whining to post all the notable moves this regime has done on the offensive side of the ball.

When you read this list, and see who these guys targeted through trades, and who they traded up for in the draft, it isn't all that surprising we have the worst offense the NFL has seen in 20 years. 

It’s only whining if you only post the negative. I’m not blindly positive, but I see both sides. Did we clear cap? Yes. Do we have a healthy draft outlook? Yes.  Did we pay Sammy $16 mil per year to be a distant third in catches, and 4th in TD’s?  No. 

BALANCE people, see the good with the bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Except defense and running teams have made it to the super bowl continuously over the last decade.  Both styles work.  

No, they really don't anymore. 

You have one-offs here and there, but continuous, sustained success is driven by stud QBs with innovative coaches who can light up the scoreboard. 

27 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Bills Offensive Moves with McDermott as HC.

- trade Sammy Watkins for 2nd round pick - this will be debated time and time again, but Sammy wasn't producing at the level of a 4th overall pick. He's a WR2 at best in KC. 

- signed Vlad Ducasse,  Patrick DiMarco & Andre Holmes - for whatever reason, Ducasse is not a bad lineman. He isn't as bad as everyone says. DiMarco is a team captain. Holmes is a body. 

- don't pick Mahomes or Watson, trade out of the #10 spot- which we used on Tre White, a lockdown corner. Whales wasn't going to pick a QB as a lame duck GM at that rate. 

- trade up for Zay Jones - who is improving weekly and is a fine WR2

- draft Dion Dawkins - a solid to good starting LT

- sign Anquan Boldin - seemed like a decent idea, who would have guessed he would be an *****. 

- trade 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin - seemed like a damn good idea at the time. 

- bench Tyrod Taylor so Nate Peterman can play - Tyrod had looked like utter ***** in NY and NO and this had to be done to light a fire under his ass

- trade Cordy Glenn and a 1st round pick to move up in the draft - how were we supposed to get our QB? This is why HIGH PICKS ARE IMPORTANT FELLAS 

- trade Tyrod Taylor - for a 3rd which we used on Harry

- sign Chris Ivory - damn good pickup

- trade 1st rounder and two 2nds for Josh Allen - Jury is still out. I did not want us to take him but he gets his shot like the rest of the rookies. 

- sign Jeremy Kerley - Should have kept him. 

- trade for Cory Coleman - ooh a 7th rounder 2 drafts from now for a former 1st round pick. Who cares

- cut Cory Coleman - see above

- start Nate Peterman as QB1 - he won the job in preseason and training camp, fair and square

- trade AJ McCarron for 5th round pick - the guy that looked horrible in training camp

- sign Derek Anderson - what were we supposed to do?

- sign Terrell Pryor - what's wrong with this?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s only whining if you only post the negative. I’m not blindly positive, but I see both sides. Did we clear cap? Yes. Do we have a healthy draft outlook? Yes.  Did we pay Sammy $16 mil per year to be a distant third in catches, and 4th in TD’s?  No. 

BALANCE people, see the good with the bad. 

You miss the point. 

The ENTIRE McD philosophy and approach was backwards and broken from the very start. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

Funny, I knew the previous regime was a joke the moment they traded up to select Watkins, passing on Khalil Mack.

By previous regime, you mean Whaley.

The interesting thing is that both you guys could be correct.

I agree that we gave up way too much to trade up for Sammy - especially given what they gave up to relative to what the Dolphins gave up the prior year - the Dolphins gave up less to move up more spots.   

Having said that, trading Sammy for what we got for him proved not to be a good deal. I hate it when my teams buy high and sell low.