Week 10: Jets Game Preparation - Inactives Announced with Chris Ivory Out, Wyatt Teller Starting at LG, and Levi Wallace Starting at CB

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 10: Jets Game Preparation - Allen Day-to-Day with Limited Practice; Edmunds Out of Concussion Protocol with Anderson Still Not Cleared; McCown Starts for Darnold Who's Out on Sunday with a Sprained Foot
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 10: Jets Game Preparation - Allen Day-to-Day with Limited Practice; Edmunds Out of Red Jersey but Still in Concussion Protocol with Anderson; McCown Starts for Darnold Who's Out on Sunday with a Sprained Foot
On 11/7/2018 at 9:02 AM, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Well he started throwing last week and if he’s a 100% healthy, why would you not play him. 

He has a UCL sprain and is not 100% healthy even if he started throwing - even if he were, there's no reason to rush your future franchise back into a meaningless game just before the bye week behind a line that would do him no favors in protection.

23 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He's not a full go today for a team with the MOST CONSERVATIVE COACH IN THE NFL!!!

You have no clue as to whether this was a case of McDermott, hearing from the doctors, that Allen is now healthy and doesn't risk injuring his UCL further, but deciding to continue to ease Allen back into throwing in order to see how he feels day by day.

OR

If this is team doctors saying he's still iffy and this is part of the rehab and recovery.

If it's the former, Allen should start Sunday.

If it's the latter, he shouldn't.

You're clearly assuming it's the latter, and I don't know why.  McDermott is a fantastic defensive coach, but he makes extremely head-scratching and often uber conservative decisions based on the QB position.

Not necessarily disagreeing here - but there's a stronger case to rest Allen through the bye week just in case, he is the franchise's future and no reason to rush him in an otherwise meaningless game, that we actually, and arguably, need to lose more than win at this point.

You're also assuming it's the former based upon McD's "head scratching" decisions. There's nothing uber conservative about making sure your entire future is healthy before throwing him back in with this OL. I also don't know that I'd call his QB choices "conservative" more so just the game management in certain ways. The defense this year could be described as more conservative with the bend-don't-break approach, but the offense has had to be stupid simplified to accommodate Anderson and noodle arm Peterman. Cover 1 mentioned it, but for Pryor to play 70+ snaps in his first game with the bills tells you just how stupid simple our playbook is right now as a result of the QBs on the roster, and how the only throws available to us are within 5 yards. The FO's handling of the QB situation is suspect but I don't know that conservative aptly applies in that situation either. McD has no reason to pander to the fans wanting to see a more competitive team this season. It's all but over. Allen will have plenty of snaps after the bye, once he is 100% healthy and ready to go.

After four straight losses, the Buffalo Bills may have a bit of hope on the horizon. Rookie quarterback Josh Allen began throwing in practice this weeks and the possibility of him starting against the New York Jets on Sunday still exists. What are the pros and cons of starting Allen this weekend, and can the Bills actually win with Allen in the lineup? Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn discuss it all on Thursday's episode.

17 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Where do you get those prices? When I go to NFL Ticket Exchange on Ticketmaster the cheapest I see is $40. Stubhub is similar.

I just realized that image is for the December 9 game in Buffalo. Strange that this week's game is still so much more

Because it's the meadowlands and the jets, and anything Manhattan/NJ will never be cheap, nor have to be really

16 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

He has a UCL sprain and is not 100% healthy even if he started throwing - even if he were, there's no reason to rush your future franchise back into a meaningless game just before the bye week behind a line that would do him no favors in protection.

How do you know he's not 100% healthy?

How do you know that he risks making his UCL worse?

Are you a doctor?

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How do you know he's not 100% healthy?

How do you know that he risks making his UCL worse?

Are you a doctor?

Are you in the Bills locker room and privy to every conversation about the QB? Never said I knew he wasn't 100%, nor am I claiming to be any sort of expert? But the obvious now being aside, my slightly informed guess (personal experience as well as from speaking with friends who are ortho surgeons and have handled these cases, since you seem to care about citing opinions) is that he isn't 100% as a UCL sprain second degree is not nothing, and while he could be 100% by Sunday, there's a greater likelihood based upon the average prognosis (several weeks to several months, depending - JHU ortho source for a third party source here) of UCL grade 2 sprains that he may be 90-95% by now at best.

Granted, he is a QB so it is different than my own personal experience (collegiate baseball, pitching) and multiple UCL sprains at various grades as the throwing motion is different. But since it's a grade 2, or at least was last I checked, and he didn't have surgery for it, it would still be partially torn - there will always be a risk of a greater tear, even with PT to strengthen the supporting muscle group. 

Point is what are you so eager to have him back for this Sunday as opposed to after the bye? Is he going to really learn more in this one game that missing it would really set him back that much? Trust me, I get the reason to get him experience so he can develop. He'll get that after the bye, no problem.

If anything, and if he's healthy enough, have him play a few snaps/drives to see how he's feeling in game to further assess. That's why they have him throwing this week in practice. Kid will bounce back and be fine (not to jinx anything), but don't get all crazy about him not playing one meaningless game that we're honestly better off losing at this point.

Edited by ctk232