I realize that ppl don’t want to hear this but the plan looks like....

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right. Ask the Browns how that working out.

It is working out for the Browns now. I'm not sure what you've been watching, or if you've been watching at all, but the Browns are a competitive team now. So far, they appear to have the best pick of 2018 QB class -- a class I think will ultimately be considered a very, very good one. They have tons of young talent and even more cap space, and suddenly they've become an attractive landing spot for a highly regarded coach.

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

the ole positive spin on ???

Why tank when you just drafted the franchise QB and the 2019 draft looks to be very deep with defensive talent. What's the point? 

The OP has deluded himself into thinking that this was a tank season on purpose. He wants others to believe that this FO planned this season out to be 2-7 after 9 games or finish the season 2-14 / 4-12. He thinks this regime will still be employed after that kind of fail. Yet, these owners fired the guy they loved at 7-8 season before the final game.

These men planned nothing of the sort and it was simply a complete screw up in many ways with the thinking that Nathanial Peterman would be a viable starter. That the offensive line would be just fine after losing Eric Wood and Richie Incognito mostly because Groy did okay in replacing Wood for a bit and Richie looked to have lost a step.  They thought that the receiver corps would be okay in getting separation, getting open and catching the ball. 

They also thought that the ex Patriots assistant coach would make a great OC. That a WR coach who had never been a QB coach would make a fine QB coach.

It's crystal clear to me that is GM and head coach have no clue what's happening with the offense. It would not surprise me at all to see McD fired at some point during the season along with changes to the offensive coaching staff. Going to be interesting to hear what these owners think of what's been going on with their team. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The bills are doing exactly what they are trying to do get a top 5 pick in this next draft

i don’t like how bad they look on offense either but the fact is they are trying to avoid overpaying for free agents in the offseason to fix this mess

you do that by drafting high because less of a chance to screw it up

This season is LOST it was always going to be LOST if you can get your mind wrapped around that it will help with your sanity

It does not matter if you lose by 1 or 100 a loss is a loss

This team is tanking so it can acquire blue chip talent and not have to pay for it they are going to target specific free agents and draft at the big money positions

be patient

For what it's worth, this topic was brought up by a caller in the WGR-550 post game show, and Schopp and Bulldog entertained it for a while, both dismissing any thought of the team as formally "tanking" as being ridiculous.

I.E., there was no planned component of this season being bad in this manner.  In their opinions, of course. 

[Cue the haters mentioning that they hate gr-55, the show is unlistenable, and Mike Schopp knows nothing about anything; throw in something about Jerry Sullivan too; and TBN, even though Sullivan no longer work there; why not]

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Right. Which was expected.

Not sure where people are having difficulty following.

Unlike you and your brethren they expected competitive games. Too many of you have blind faith when it comes to DEM BILLS. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm pretty sure it was a clear rebuild.  Two huge offensive line pieces retired and another traded.  A new QB, MLB and other significant roles for 1st and second year players...that has development year written all over it.

That was wrong as well, this is a death spiral 

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The bills are doing exactly what they are trying to do get a top 5 pick in this next draft

i don’t like how bad they look on offense either but the fact is they are trying to avoid overpaying for free agents in the offseason to fix this mess

This season is LOST it was always going to be LOST if you can get your mind wrapped around that it will help with your sanity

This team is tanking so it can acquire blue chip talent and not have to pay for it they are going to target specific free agents and draft at the big money positions

be patient

I very very much agree that we need to be patient.

But we aren't tanking. We just aren't. It's a hockey word, first of all. But if we were doing what is correctly called a complete rebuild, we'd've traded Shady and Tyrod before the 2016 season and probably Hughes, Kyle Williams and Incognito as well. Some of which would've worked out a lot better than what we did. If we'd completely rebuilt, it wouldn't have been that difficult to avoid the playoffs last year and maximize that draft pick in this last year's draft, which is the time when getting a high pick was absolutely necessary to get a QB. They're not trying to lose. McDermott is working as hard as he can, but yeah, they knew it would be tough sledding this year.

I wish they had done it. I wish they had rebuilt completely and stripped the team of all older talent before last year. But they didn't and they have brought in a lot of talent, especially on that defense.

But yeah, the rebuild isn't a complete one, but it's a serious rebuild. And yeah, this year was always going to suck. And you're exactly right that they made getting the cap problems completely taken care of a major priority this year, as they had promised the Pegulas they would. That prevented bringing in talent and mandated getting rid of a lot of young guys they maybe could otherwise have kept some of.

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I very very much agree that we need to be patient.

But we aren't tanking. We just aren't. It's a hockey word, first of all. But if we were doing what is correctly called a complete rebuild, we'd've traded Shady and Tyrod before the 2016 season and probably Hughes, Kyle Williams and Incognito as well. Some of which would've worked out a lot better than what we did. If we'd completely rebuilt, it wouldn't have been that difficult to avoid the playoffs last year and maximize that draft pick in this last year's draft, which is the time when getting a high pick was absolutely necessary to get a QB. They're not trying to lose. McDermott is working as hard as he can, but yeah, they knew it would be tough sledding this year.

I wish they had done it. I wish they had rebuilt completely and stripped the team of all older talent before last year. But they didn't and they have brought in a lot of talent, especially on that defense.

But yeah, the rebuild isn't a complete one, but it's a serious rebuild. And yeah, this year was always going to suck. And you're exactly right that they made getting the cap problems completely taken care of a major priority this year, as they had promised the Pegulas they would. That prevented bringing in talent and mandated getting rid of a lot of young guys they maybe could otherwise have kept some of.

And basketball, Spurs tanked to draft Robinson and then Duncan 

Nonsense.

If that was McBeane's plan, -why not get it done in season 1 when it would have at least been forgivable?

If they planned this out, why drag Anderson off the coach in week 6 to "mentor" Josh Allen all of a sudden? :rolleyes:

At best, you can say McBeane underestimated the size of the rebuild they're attempting.... At worst, you can accuse these two of being dangerously out of touch with reality.

Personally, I think it's a little of both...

7 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

That is what happens when you neglect the offense.

So, using the 12th, 53rd and 56th picks on the offense is neglecting it?

'Cause those three picks and Cordy Glenn besides were all traded for the pick we used on Josh Allen.

We didn't neglect the offense at all. Getting your franchise QB (we hope) is pretty much the opposite of neglect. But apart from that, yeah, they spent most of the rest of their draft and cap resources on the defense.

This early in a rebuild, especially a rebuild that starts with cap trouble, you aren't going to be able to fill all the holes. That's just the way it works. People get all pissed that we didn't spend more resources on the offense. If we had, the defense would be a lot worse. Would it really have been that much more satisfying to have a poor offense and a poor defense, both? Not for me. At least I can see good football when the D is on the field.

It's next to impossible to develop and evaluate a QB with the present O and coaching.

Would Aaron Rogers have a better record here and still be in one piece?

The D is on the right track , but building  a OL takes time and a good coach. 

10 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

After Khalil Mack was traded, it was reported that one team said they wanted Mack but couldn't let go two first-round picks considering this year's would be a Top 10 pick.

Is there any question at all that that team/GM was Buffalo/Beane?

Nope, and thank god they didn’t do that trade.  The next coach is gonna want those picks.

11 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

the ole positive spin on ???

That "positive spin on *****" is what causes that cute little twirl at the top! ?  

***** still stinks and WILL be flushed sooner or later.  I'm hoping for SOONER.

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

be patient

I don't think they expected it to be this bad, I think they thought it'd be an uphill battle but I do believe they expected more. With that said you give them another year out of principle. Am I optimistic? No. With that said fair is fair, McD gets 3 years before I feel comfortable with the sampling size, I think that's the honorable thing to do.