McDermott's Monday Segment With Schopp & Bulldog: 11/5/18

Fadingpain

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

This is a calm, rational take. 

It's the dude. I'm pretty sure he suffers from CTE.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I think that the Pegulas keeping both teams in Buffalo and giving each of them all the resources that anyone could ask qualifies them as good owners.  Having said that, I think they made a mistake in firing Rex and allowing him to be undermined prior to that (with leaks etc.).  I also was never excited about McCoach.  Nevertheless, there were those around the league who thought McClappy was a hot candidate.  

What are the metrics of a good owner? Is Robert Kraft the best owner in the history of the NFL because he hired Billy B and they got lucky in the 6th round.  Are the Maras bad owners now but were good owners when they won Super Bowls? 

Is Stan Kroenke a great NFL owner (now that the Rams are undefeated) but a horrible NBA owner?

I will forever give the Pegulas the benefit of the doubt because I never have to worry about my teams moving from Buffalo. I also know that they have the best of intentions . . . even when I disagree with their decisions.

Good take right here. +1

:thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

May be one of the most idiotic theories ever, or perhaps better stated as most idiotic thought for a question or topic to a person in charge of a huge company ( the bills are a company/ part of an industry ) .  What would you think he would say, yes that’s the case ? !   There are laws against discrimination by sex, age , disability, and certainly religious choice.   I am sure mc d workday fall into answering these radio idiots and set up the bills and the NFL as fodder for every legal firm in America.   Yeah, that’s why these guys are on the radio and not running their own companies. Ridiculous. 

The point of sports-talk is to make strong, divisive arguments that engage callers. No doubt the topic of ‘morals over talent,’ which McD has given plenty of fodder to drive the conversation, is going to light up the phones. 

So it’s actually a great topic as far as radio goes. The reason they may shy away though is the controversial nature of the conversation isn’t well-suited to a program/station that wants to remain impartial when it comes to religious values.

Edited by eanyills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Mike Schopp and the Bulldog right now on the post-game show are discussing the allegations that McDermott favors faith-based players and this could be a factor in keeping Peterman on the roster.

Schopp just said that he doesn't know one way or the other if there is any truth to this line of thinking, but that it is a good question for McDermott.

He basically indicated that he will be asking him about this on his show tomorrow.  That could be entertaining, interesting, and it makes the segment worth listening to.

Stay tuned to this space for more.

I really hope they pick again at McDermott’s philosophy on how to win in this league. The Rams and New Orleans have scored 80 points and are still playing and this Coach thinks field position and running are going to beat that? 

That habits and culture beat Drew Brees to Michael Thomas for a 72-yard TD?

I hope they ask him to again look around the league and explain for 3rd and manageable is supposed to accomplish this. 

• Like (+1) 2

Mike Schopp and the Bulldog right now on the post-game show are discussing the allegations that McDermott favors faith-based players and this could be a factor in keeping Peterman on the roster.

Peterman is the third string quarterback that makes virtually no money. The line can't keep QB's healthy. That is why he played today. His stats aren't any worse than their backup QB. Peterman is the only quarterback of the 3 on the roster to even score a TD in six games. 

17 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I really hope they pick again at McDermott’s philosophy on how to win in this league. The Rams and New Orleans have scored 80 points and are still playing and this Coach thinks field position and running are going to beat that? 

That habits and culture beat Drew Brees to Michael Thomas for a 72-yard TD?

I hope they ask him to again look around the league and explain for 3rd and manageable is supposed to accomplish this. 

McD would get crushed against the Rams or Saints, even with a full reload of talent on offense.  His conservative play, keep it close philosophy would not be able to keep up with what McVay or Payton would scheme up.  This is what troubles me with McD the most.

• Like (+1) 1

Schopp just said that he doesn't know one way or the other if there is any truth to this line of thinking, but that it is a good question for McDermott.

He basically indicated that he will be asking him about this on his show tomorrow.  That could be entertaining, interesting, and it makes the segment worth listening to.

Good God!!! Does he get some sort of royalties for saying "there were some good plays and some plays he wants to have back. I have to go and review the film".

Geez and when I started a thread along these lines a few weeks back it was locked.....

I only asked, why is religion & faith brought up an inordinate amount when discussing NP.

Really their best point was controlling the football and not making mistakes, which is exactly what they had in TT.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I am not a McCoach apologist by any stretch of the imagination (and I went to Church this morning). Having said this, I doubt the premise of this discussion.

These guys traded AJ (mistakenly in my judgment) and AJ has a huge religious tattoo on his chest in case anyone on the coaching staff had any doubts about his faith.

I agree, and in all honesty this is somewhat unfair and insulting.  That was like when Shady said said Chip Kelly was “racist” for trading black players.  It’s all conjecture.

Now to say that McDermott might have a bias toward Peterman - though I feel that it has more to do with work ethic, character, and personality.  I don’t think this at all, has to do with faith.

Schopp has no balls.  The last time he talked about Peterman on the show with McDermott, he got his peter slapped during the broadcast.  He was off-air for an entire segment and then was shaken up when he returned.  He either got an earful from his boss, Derek Boyko, or Sean mcDermott himself.  Translation....he’s all talk 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Ummm nawp.  There is NOTHING interesting about that "show."

Schopp is an arrogant SOB but he’s not bad on-air.  I just wish WGR would put someone on the show that would stand up to him.  Bulldog Chris Parker never does.  Even when he tries his arguments make no sense and he stammers and loses his train of thought.  

If Schopp has a counterpart that could debate him, it might actually be worth listening to.

I solely listen to that show on the ride home from work to try and figure out which one of you Jackazzes is Kenny from Elma calling to complain about the same problems each week with a fresh twist based on last week's game. It's freaking hilarious at times. 

Don't remember the day, but this past week a guy called in to ask if "he should expect the bills to win or if he should buy another bottle of Jager" LMFAO 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McD would get crushed against the Rams or Saints, even with a full reload of talent on offense.  His conservative play, keep it close philosophy would not be able to keep up with what McVay or Payton would scheme up.  This is what troubles me with McD the most.

Interesting....because he didn’t get crushed against Tom Brady and The Patriots, who also put up a lot of points and have an innovative play caller and HOF QB.  McDermott is a pretty good defensive coach. The defense will be fine, it’s the offense we have to worry about 

Then why did they trade McCarron?

• Like (+1) 1

Two segments ago, Schopp started the conversation by asking McDermott what he sees in Nate Peterman that no one else does.  That set the tone for an awkward segment that culminated in McD hanging up on Schopp a bit prematurely without saying goodbye.

You have to define what being a good owner means in order for that statement to have meaning.

Also if you remember Schopp was off air for about 20 minutes through a commercial break.  Bulldog held the show solo w/o and explaination. 

It was clear that Schopp was taking a call off air - either from his boss, Derek Boyko, or McDermott.  Either way he got his pee pee slapped and got an ear full, and was shaken up when he returned on-air.  I don’t think he’ll be so brave when he has a McDermott on the line 

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Then why did they trade McCarron?

Right....it’s an empty conspiracy theory.  But the morons who call into WGR will “billieve” it. 

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Interesting....because he didn’t get crushed against Tom Brady and The Patriots, who also put up a lot of points and have an innovative play caller and HOF QB.  McDermott is a pretty good defensive coach. The defense will be fine, it’s the offense we have to worry about 

Maybe not the first half, but the second half they ran away with it.  Have to play both halfs.  It doesn't help that the offense is useless and the D probably gets winded.  I still don't think McD would be able to beat either McMay or Payton.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Maybe not the first half, but the second half they ran away with it.  Have to play both halfs.  It doesn't help that the offense is useless and the D probably gets winded.  I still don't think McD would be able to beat either McMay or Payton.

They gave up 18 freaking points!  How can you say they “ran away with it?”  It’s clearly not true.  

It would seem that beat NO or LA you need to outscore them,m.  Just like NE, their  offenses are so good, it’s impossible to shut them down.  There’s little doubt that the 2018 Bills have the firepower on offense to go toe-to-toe with either of those teams.  But I do think that defensively they would be fine.  The Bills will always be fine on defense under McDermott.  He’s proven to be a good a good defensive coach.  It’s offense that is the huge question mark 

5 hours ago, loedward22 said:

Peterman being on the roster at this point is unexplainable.  I started to wonder if the Jesus theory was the case after Peterman remained on the roster after the Baltimore game.  Another poster up above suggested another valid theory (pride).  At this point I just want to know how it's possible that Peterman is on the team.

Answer: (1) not enough QB bodies on the current roster healthy enough, or (2) up to speed enough to make him fall off the roster as of yet. I have little doubt he will still be cut this year, but McBeane have to stockpile enough dumpster dive backups first. Bradford could be next man up, and in that case I think NP will be gone. Sometimes, the easiest explanation is the furthest you have to look.   

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

And I look forward to one of the potentially greatest responses in history.  

Sean...I hope someone tips you off to this lunacy.  

And absolutely obliterate that smug self serving arrogant pos.

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

So there's no room for a discussion about McDermott's faith as the HC and how that might play into his managerial style according to you? 

Do you really think Mike Schopp is going to phrase a question so that a truthful answer would must indict McDermott?

There's no room for discussion here?

Come on, man.

I am quite sure McD has a huge ego and further, is probably the type of guy who thinks there is 1 right way to do everything, and that's his way.  And in that sense, you aren't going to persuade him to see something from a new perspective.  There are zillions of people like that in the world.

That doesn't mean his faith doesn't creep into his coaching of the team or his stance on Peterman.  Whether it is a function of his conscious or subconscious mind, I'm sure he "clicks" with players of a similar faith-based world view.

It was Bulldog, actually, who reminded me the other day that Pegula introduced/referenced McDermott as a "faith based leader" when he joined the organization.

The relevant question here is this:  does Mcdermott value religious faith or a Judeo-Christian code of morality above athletic talent in making player evaluations and roster formulation?

If he does, the fans deserve to know.

You clearly have no clue.

Do you know how important faith is to the vast majority of these players?  

This whole thread is ignorant, bigoted, and insulting.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Also if you remember Schopp was off air for about 20 minutes through a commercial break.  Bulldog held the show solo w/o and explaination. 

It was clear that Schopp was taking a call off air - either from his boss, Derek Boyko, or McDermott.  Either way he got his pee pee slapped and got an ear full, and was shaken up when he returned on-air.  I don’t think he’ll be so brave when he has a McDermott on the line 

Right....it’s an empty conspiracy theory.  But the morons who call into WGR will “billieve” it. 

We don't know that Schopp got his pee pee slapped, as you put it.  We do know he missed about half of the hour and when he returned, he said "Where were we?" and Bulldog just laughed.

He may have initiated the contact with McD which was my theory at the time.  Regardless, we don't really know what happened.

Regarding AJ: what does his trade have to do with Peterman?  Why is it not possible, hypothetically, to trade AJ despite his faith, but retain Nate in part because of his faith?

Your argument isn't valid.

The issue is not why did AJ get traded, the issue is what on Earth does McDermott see in Nate.

Hopefully Schopp will make good on his boast to ask about this.  If it leads to a heated situation and McD hangs up on him or something dramatic again, all the better! 

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

If Pegula really did call McD a "faith-based leader", well, doesn't that mean that McD's leadership is based on... Faith?

Actually, it was "faith based winner" but the winner/leader distinction is not the important part.

It was when Terry introduced him at the PC announcing him as new HC.

About 3:50 in this video.  By the way, just watching this again, I can't help but note how unimpressive Pegula is!  LOL.  

28 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

And I look forward to one of the potentially greatest responses in history.  

Sean...I hope someone tips you off to this lunacy.  

And absolutely obliterate that smug self serving arrogant pos.

You clearly have no clue.

Do you know how important faith is to the vast majority of these players?  

This whole thread is ignorant, bigoted, and insulting.  

I find your comments insulting.  Please feel free to not participate here.  Thanks.  

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1