Finally the end for peterman???

Hebert19

19 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

Out of all the games we could talk about Peterman... why today? What did he do so bad today! How about we talk about Benjamin or that loser o line instead 

Just because he was responsible (technically) for only one of the three INTs on Sunday doesn't mean he wasn't bad. Our only TD of the day came on a QB rush...our whole offense is deplorable from the scheme to the players executing it.

But to keep it Peterman specific, the guy did not get through his reads effectively at all (something that was supposed to be one of his stronger suits), didn't complete throws, and yes, had quite a few key dropped passes from his receivers, but it wasn't like he was driving us down the field otherwise by making accurate throws and reads. He was hesitant to pull the trigger due to past INT issues and missed the few open windows we had on a good amount of the drives; held the ball to long and took sacks. But at least he did do one thing, he discovered the incomplete pass. Doesn't help when the OL doesn't show up either and has a day like yesterday.

I need to go back and watch the tape to see when it was, but I remember seeing a replay of three simultaneous slant routes where all three receivers practically all ended up within 5 yards of each other, and KB was covered downfield. I really need to go find this play because for the life of me I couldn't figure out who was the hot route, much less what offensive mind thought that play would gain yards...and I'm still on the give Daboll another year boat.

Nate completed 31 wonderful passes yesterday.  His 3 interceptions were all caused by wide receivers (2 deflections, 3rd one receiver failed to come back for the ball and box out the defender).  I think this is just the start of Petermania.  Can't wait to see what he can do against the Jets!  What's the NFL record for lowest yards per attempt?

Edited by Thurman Kelly

I thought Peterman played fine yesterday. He really didn't make a lot of mistakes. What I saw were receivers that can't get separation at all; terrible bad luck with the fumble and interception, Shady not doing a dang thing and no throws down field to even try to get a pass interference call. It seems that every team we've played this year, a long bomb that was incomplete was call pass interference on us. We need to at least try to throw downfield.

20 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

But to keep it Peterman specific, the guy did not get through his reads effectively at all (something that was supposed to be one of his stronger suits), didn't complete throws, and yes, had quite a few key dropped passes from his receivers, but it wasn't like he was driving us down the field otherwise by making accurate throws and reads. He was hesitant to pull the trigger due to past INT issues and missed the few open windows we had on a good amount of the drives; held the ball to long and took sacks. But at least he did do one thing, he discovered the incomplete pass. Doesn't help when the OL doesn't show up either and has a day like yesterday.

Peterman is learning how to play the game at this level. Right now, he stinks.....but when you consider all the other backup QB's in this league, he's right there.

Every game he plays, he gets better at reading defenses, and he is less prone to throwing picks. I think Peterman satisfied the coaches with his play on Sunday.

Peterman was less of a problem to watch than the punt coverage team chasing Tarik Cohen around, unable to tackle him.

And what about the run Defense ? Jordan Howard gashed the DLine so bad, he had to go find somebody to run over.

Trubinski had plenty of time to throw the ball, and the slot receivers were always wide open.

And some of you have the nerve to single out Peterman as the reason for this defeat ??

Oh please................

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Peterman is learning how to play the game at this level. Right now, he stinks.....but when you consider all the other backup QB's in this league, he's right there.

Every game he plays, he gets better at reading defenses, and he is less prone to throwing picks. I think Peterman satisfied the coaches with his play on Sunday.

Peterman was less of a problem to watch than the punt coverage team chasing Tarik Cohen around, unable to tackle him.

And what about the run Defense ? Jordan Howard gashed the DLine so bad, he had to go find somebody to run over.

Trubinski had plenty of time to throw the ball, and the slot receivers were always wide open.

And some of you have the nerve to single out Peterman as the reason for this defeat ??

Oh please................

I'm not singling out Peterman for yesterday's loss. Let's start there. I also get that he's still learning to play the game at this level - not many people still do. But the problem is that he was set up to start Week 1, which whether or not it was a good decision, has changed the conversation around him. I'm not surprised by his play being a 5th round pick, but I don't think his ceiling is one so high that it can really get much better than what we're seeing.

I also don't understand how you can say he's learning the game at this level and that he's also right there when you consider other QB backups in the league - this just isn't possible. What are you basing this on? His QBR is one of the worst of all time, if not the worst, and he's set all kinds of horrible records. His passer rating from yesterday was 45.4, I don't care that he was only "responsible" for one of the three picks yesterday, he's not a back-up caliber QB. He completed 63% of his passes for a whopping 3.86 yards per attempt...he lacks the arm strength for outside throws and timed routes, on which he's already hesitant to complete and target. He's not in an offense that would otherwise help him out, no, but a competent QB is able to do more than achieve one rushing touchdown yesterday. It's hard to argue your point(s) here as there are essentially two conflicting positions, but the reality is he is not currently a good back-up QB, and yes he is still learning the game but with a much lower ceiling than you may believe he has. Neither of which is inspiring for his resulting development and performance on this roster.

The NFL typically qualifies an average back-up QB as someone who can come in and go .500 in W-L keeping the team afloat. It's not a written rule, but I doubt Peterman's ability to do this. My own expectations are for a back-up are a bit lower, but while I'm fine with Peterman taking us to the first overall pick this year, I will not say he is a longterm solution for us at any level of QB depth.

Edited by ctk232

The Lord is good to everyone who trusts in him,
So it is best for us to wait in patience—to wait for him to save us—
And it is best to learn this patience in our youth.
(Lamentations 3:25-27)

(he ain't goin' nowhere)

4 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

I also don't understand how you can say he's learning the game at this level and that he's also right there when you consider other QB backups in the league - this just isn't possible. What are you basing this on?

Arizona - Mike Glennon

Atlanta - Matt Schaub

Baltimore - Lamar Jackson

Carolina - Taylor Heinicke

Chicago - Chase Daniel

Cinnicnati - Jeff Driskel

Cleveland - Tyrod Taylor

Dallas - Cooper Rush

Denver - Kevin Hogan

Detroit - Matt Cassel

Green Bay - DeShone Kizer

Houston - Brandon Weeden

Indianapolis - Jacoby Brissett

Jacksonville - Cody Kessler

Kansas City - Chad Henne

Chargers - Geno Smith

Rams - Sean Mannion

Miami - David Fales

Minnesota - Trevor Siemian

New England - Brian Hoyer

New Orleans - Teddy Bridgewater

NY Giants - Alex Tanney

NY Jets - Josh McCown

Oakland - AJ McCarron

Philadelphia - Nick Foles

Pittsburgh - Joshua Dobbs

SF 49ers - Nick Mullens

Seattle - Brett Hundley

Tampa Bay - Ryan Fitzpatrick

Tennessee - Blaine Gabbert

Washington - Colt McCoy

Do any of these names come screaming out at you ?

10 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Arizona - Mike Glennon

Atlanta - Matt Schaub

Chicago - Chase Daniel

Cleveland - Tyrod Taylor

Dallas - Cooper Rush

Denver - Kevin Hogan

Detroit - Matt Cassel

Houston - Brandon Weeden

Kansas City - Chad Henne

Chargers - Geno Smith

Rams - Sean Mannion

Miami - David Fales

NY Giants - Alex Tanney

NY Jets - Josh McCown

Oakland - AJ McCarron

SF 49ers - Nick Mullens

Seattle - Brett Hundley

Washington - Colt McCoy

I would take every single one over NP.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Arizona - Mike Glennon

Atlanta - Matt Schaub

Chicago - Chase Daniel

Cleveland - Tyrod Taylor

Dallas - Cooper Rush

Denver - Kevin Hogan

Detroit - Matt Cassel

Houston - Brandon Weeden

Kansas City - Chad Henne

Chargers - Geno Smith

Rams - Sean Mannion

Miami - David Fales

NY Giants - Alex Tanney

NY Jets - Josh McCown

Oakland - AJ McCarron

SF 49ers - Nick Mullens

Seattle - Brett Hundley

Washington - Colt McCoy

As being better then Peterman, yeah, many

Some might even be better then the rest of the QBs on this roster.

People need to start watching other games not just Bill's ones to understand just how bad it is here right now. SF has had 2 nobodies start for them the last few weeks and neither of them had played as bad as Nate Peterman did. The Eagles backup was last years SB MVP, Miami's backup (the guy you show is actually their #3 since the backup is starting now) has won more games this season then Peterman has in his career. With Tampa its debatable who you want to call their backup, but one was a 1st overall pick, the other has thrown more TDs in a game this year then Peterman has total in his career, and may have thrown for more yards in a game then Nates total in his career too.

But yeah, Nates just as good as everyone elses backup.....

42 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Arizona - Mike Glennon

Atlanta - Matt Schaub

Chicago - Chase Daniel

Cleveland - Tyrod Taylor

Dallas - Cooper Rush

Denver - Kevin Hogan

Detroit - Matt Cassel

Houston - Brandon Weeden

Kansas City - Chad Henne

Chargers - Geno Smith

Rams - Sean Mannion

Miami - David Fales

NY Giants - Alex Tanney

NY Jets - Josh McCown

Oakland - AJ McCarron

SF 49ers - Nick Mullens

Seattle - Brett Hundley

Washington - Colt McCoy

Really confused by this response. But sure, to answer your question, all of those names are recognizable to me with the exception of the emboldened. I'm also curious where you got this list and if they are all QB2's on the depth chart, but regardless, my point was that to be a good backup in the league, you cannot also still be learning the game at this level. It's just not something that's physically possible - is Peterman as good a backup in the league as any, or is he still underdeveloped and "learning the game?" The latter sounds more of an excuse for his actual play thus far being as bad as it is. Given performance thus far, Peterman is the worst QB on the entire list, statistically speaking.

If you are arguing that he is both still developing and just that terrible, and that the entire list you gave is all QBs of equal caliber, talent, understanding of the game, and performance, then I'm just not seeing what you see. I'd take most every other name on that list over Peterman with the exception of the guys I don't know. But even that unknown is better than the known ceiling of development that Peterman has. 

28 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Really confused by this response. But sure, to answer your question, all of those names are recognizable to me with the exception of the emboldened. I'm also curious where you got this list and if they are all QB2's on the depth chart, but regardless, my point was that to be a good backup in the league, you cannot also still be learning the game at this level. It's just not something that's physically possible - is Peterman as good a backup in the league as any, or is he still underdeveloped and "learning the game?" The latter sounds more of an excuse for his actual play thus far being as bad as it is. Given performance thus far, Peterman is the worst QB on the entire list, statistically speaking.

If you are arguing that he is both still developing and just that terrible, and that the entire list you gave is all QBs of equal caliber, talent, understanding of the game, and performance, then I'm just not seeing what you see. I'd take most every other name on that list over Peterman with the exception of the guys I don't know. But even that unknown is better than the known ceiling of development that Peterman has. 

I made the list myself.

I went to NFL.com and went to the home page for every NFL team and looked at their depth chart, as of this morning.

My point is that when I look at the list of backup QB's currently in the NFL, my guess is that half of them wouldn't do any better

at winning in Buffalo than Nathan Peterman. Not all of them, just half of them. Or maybe just 5 of them.

Tyrod Taylor used to be the franchise QB, he's on the list and he would do better.

AJM is also on the list and he didn't work out, so they got trade value for him.

Fitz is on the list and better than NP.  So is Teddy B, and McCown, and Foles, and I'm not sure about any of the rest.

They ALL could turn into interception machines with this Offense and Daboll calling the passing plays.

32 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

I made the list myself.

I went to NFL.com and went to the home page for every NFL team and looked at their depth chart, as of this morning.

My point is that when I look at the list of backup QB's currently in the NFL, my guess is that half of them wouldn't do any better

at winning in Buffalo than Nathan Peterman. Not all of them, just half of them. Or maybe just 5 of them.

Tyrod Taylor used to be the franchise QB, he's on the list and he would do better.

AJM is also on the list and he didn't work out, so they got trade value for him.

Fitz is on the list and better than NP.  So is Teddy B, and McCown, and Foles, and I'm not sure about any of the rest.

They ALL could turn into interception machines with this Offense and Daboll calling the passing plays.

Then we're arguing the same thing, in a way - while I don't believe that NP is a better NFL QB than anyone on that list, I agree that no other QB we can bring in right now would do any better, outside of likely Bridgewater, TT, McCown, Foles, etc. They also can't be brought in right now fwiw, but NP is currently our best option until Allen returns healthy as he at least knows the playbook, but I trust most of the QBs on this list to at least lead a drive and throw a TD. Granted, I will concede Peterman did this for us in Houston. 

But I do believe that if most any other QB on that list were on our team at the beginning of the season, that they would be markedly better than Peterman at fulfilling a back-up role. Not necessarily going .500, but helping us to compete more so than we are at present and certainly able to throw and complete at least 1 passing TD, or help us put up more than single digit scores.

Where I would most like to agree but just don't have enough to point to and say he's the issue for certain, is with Daboll and the playcalling. While I get that the offensive troubles are overarching and from every position, I don't know how much of this is actually Daboll's playcalling/playbook, and how much of it is the lack of QB talent and consequential roster talent depth that forces him to limit the calls/book. The one thing I've read countless times on this board is everything that is wrong with the offense...it's everything. But how much of what we are seeing is contributory to each specific reason (i.e. how much of it is the receivers? how much of it the QB? or how much of it is actually the playbook?). They can all contribute to the problems at hand, but in order to address these issues you have to systemically understand what is causing the greatest amount of problems (which I know people will just say McD/Beane)...

Edited by ctk232

9 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Yeah, i feel the same way even though I'd prefer he never sees the field again in a bills uniform.  He's really a perfect case study as to why performance in training camp is a poor indicator for success in the regular season.  Clappy McIdiot doesn't seem to grasp the concept.  I just got back from a long weekend in Alabama with family, and the consensus is that McCarron was let go because he's a leader and the clapping halfwit cant have any strong leadership from players.  McC played that way in Alabama, and would yell back at Saban when he got on his case.  The Process can't bear any thought outside approved goodthink by Coach Bonehead

I thought it was because he sucked and also got injured.

I think you are reading just a little too much into the situation.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Derek Anderson came here to carry a clip board and explain defensive looks to a rookie starting QB.

He never expected to come here to save the franchise.............come on............give him a break.

He was already retired and busy doing family things.

On the other hand, Peterman is fighting for a job, and all this reference to him having a "noodle arm" is ridiculous.

Compare Tom Brady's arm  to Nathan Peterman's.....................come on, smart guys................do it.............

Marcas GrantVerified account @MarcasG
Follow Follow @MarcasG
More

Per #NextGenStats, Nathan Peterman's average completed air yards was -0.4. Yes, that's a negative number.

6:02 PM - 9 Sep 2018
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, /dev/null said:

If Ryan Tannehil is still injured, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dolphins pick him up for a week or two as a backup and some intel on our already limited playbook

...throw in Daboll's spiral notebook sheet with the "out pattern" clearly diagrammed....should seal the deal................

Nate Completed 31 passes yesterday.  Of the 31 completions 25 of them were inside the 5 yardline. 4 more of them inside the 8 yardline.  The final two completions were inside the 15 yard line.  The dude was completing 2 yard passes all game long.  Peterman was afraid to throw the damn ball 35 yards on an end of the half hail mary.  Yes, the kid has a noodle arm.  Half the reason for the picks were because the ball took forever to get there and the receiver was mauled from multiple defenders by the time it did.

pass-chart_PET071806_2018-reg-9_1541371538218.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 2