Rookie QB's

Mark92

Did we over evaluate these guys?  There have been quiet a few good rookie QB's in the past 3-4 years I am starting to think that maybe the whole NFL reached on the 2018 class.  I thought for sure this was a special class and who knows maybe it still will be but Baker seems to be the most consistent right now.  Do I hope and pray that Allen turns into the QB he has the talent to become?  Of course I do.  But the second guesses on him and all of them are there right now.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am in no way saying they won't be good or great.  All I am saying is that this was supposed to be a really good class and because of how great a few rookie QBs have looked in the last few years I think we expected them all to have a bigger impact.  Not happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

I get your point but when the so called best QB of the group in Darnold tosses 4 picks in week 9.  It's a concern.  

That was the knock on Darnold going, he may tend to throw alot of INT's.  Every year the best QB class of all time is the class a year out.  Then they all play their last year and ones who were can't miss, drops off and some unknown pops up out of nowhere.

That's the part I don't understand how so many here ripping the Bills for picking the wrong guy.  All of them had questions, Allen had all the tools, but accuracy was in question, Darnold may be the most ready but question on turnovers, Rosen, will he stay interested and concussions,  Mayfield played n the B-12 where there was no defense and tended to free wheel way too much for the NFL. It wasn't like any of them were can't miss.  Who ever they picked was a question.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He wasn't even all that good in the first game. Sure he showed some moxie. Sure he threw some decent passes. But the first one was one of the worst passes ever for a pick six. People gave him a lot of credit for coming back from that. But it happened. He looked good scrambling and avoiding the rush and throwing some ten yard darts. He was pretty good at best. 

People are so dedicated to bashing the other rookie QB's because they're convinced that means something good for Allen. 

There is a distinct possibility that all of these QB's suck. 

Do you REALLY trust this regime to judge offensive personnel? 

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

I am in no way saying they won't be good or great.  All I am saying is that this was supposed to be a really good class and because of how great a few rookie QBs have looked in the last few years I think we expected them all to have a bigger impact.  Not happening. 

All 5 of them had their warts. Most billeved that each would take time. None were as ready as say Luck was. I'd say they're all making strides. Hopefully the time on the bench helps Allen when he gets back in there. This class will still go down as one of the best. 

I don't think teams over reached for these 4 guys.  They all had question marks BUT as a group there is a lot of talent there. 

The problem was that because all 4 of them were very attractive QB prospects and the odds that they could be "the guy" were not bad they were all picked early in the 2018 draft.  And guess what, who gets to pick early?  That's right, the cruddy teams.  So you have 4 rookies playing on 4 terrible teams.  And not just bad football teams but teams that have very bad offenses! 

Let's not forget that Mahomes was a mid 1st round pick who went to a playoff level team loaded with great offensive talent.  He then had the luxury of sitting a year and learning.  On top of that he was never seen as the savior of the Chiefs; they had Alex Smith if he didn't work out. 

I mean these threads keep popping up but Allen is the only QB to win a game for us so far this year so... I dunno... maybe give him a chance to develop? It's rare for a rookie to come out of the gate and set the league on fire.