The biggest myth on the Process/Rebuild

bostonadguy

21 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Bingo.  McDermott has lost the locker room and respect of the fans.  Even with tens of millions in cap space, who would want to come here?

He hasn't lost anything - players play for money. While I agree Buffalo isn't the sexiest destination for players, we've learned what happens when we go big in FA, as well as other teams. But if you present the money, players will come to play. 

To OP's point about breeding a losing culture, a single rebuild doesn't build a losing culture. One season, does not build a losing culture. Losing four super bowls in a row and having the past 20+ years happen can breed a losing culture. Thing about breeding is that it takes time. And while the national media has never helped us in this regard, what creates true losing cultures is multiple "rebuilds" of 2-3 year stints. In regard to "losing cultures," all it takes is for a team to start winning and the entire national media conversation changes. Jags were a laughing stock of a yearly game, and now they're in the competitive conversations. 

I'd go as far to make the argument that "losing cultures" are really self-imposed and don't exist, not really. Sure other cities and teams can pass the Bills or another lackluster competitor as a soft opponent, or easy-win. But most of those determinations are momentary given the immediate season. To me, "losing cultures" are often misidentified as immediate responses to terrible situations, much like the historic precedence being set on offense right now. But does this create a long-term culture of losing? No. The plan is to get better and win, just go do it and you won't ever have to talk about this again.

Edited by ctk232

On 11/4/2018 at 3:57 PM, BillsEnthusiast said:

McD had to turn the season around to get the team there. Cry about it. 

Gruden is also rebuilding the team. 

You don't like McD, you didn't like Rex, to my recollection you didn't like Marrone. 

I don’t like anybody. Liked Saban and Knox. Probably before your time

On 11/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

The 1985 & 1986 Bills lost a lot, but guys like Talley, Reed, B. Smith hated to lose and were key players on AFC championship teams.  One bad year does nothing other than give a team a chance to weed out the bad players.  You'll see a totally new group of receivers next year with the possible exception of Zay Jones.  

You amateur psychiatrists should stick to your day job. 

And you amateur GMs should stick to fantasy football. 

On 11/4/2018 at 3:40 PM, bostonadguy said:

The biggest problem you have with tearing down a roster and getting rid of good players is that by becoming so non-competitive, the players remaining get comfortable with losing and you breed  a losing culture and undermine what you are trying to do in the first place.

It seems all they care about is high character guys and not football players. You kind of need both.

if McDermott and Beane aren’t careful, they won’t last long enough for the rebuild.

High character guys never become comfortable with losing, because they are of high character.   

Honor, loyalty, passion, and accountability to yourself and one another breed success.   You take beatings together, and grow together.   It breeds success, the exact opposite of what you believe. 

It's the negative veteran presence and "players" you speak of which were quickly shuffled off the team.   Their talent will be replaced through the draft this year, and free agency.