The biggest myth on the Process/Rebuild

bostonadguy

24 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

For 1 year... Is Mcd overachieving this year?

What does 2017 mean at this point?

I dont even think McD should get the credit anymore for overachieving co soldering what we have seen of him since and the fact that he did it after throwing a game by making Peterman the starter for half the Chargers game. I think the players deserve the credit for overachieving and overcoming McDermott.........

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

McD had to turn the season around to get the team there. Cry about it. 

Gruden is also rebuilding the team. 

You don't like McD, you didn't like Rex, to my recollection you didn't like Marrone. 

That's because every coach since Phillips as SUCKED!  Greggles, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Rya, and now this super genius.

2 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

This is an interesting post considering they made the playoffs last year,

Do you think the current players are happy and would stay here if they had a choice seeing the front office and coaching staff made them worse and continued to cut down the team after they made the playoffs? 

30 minutes ago, bostonadguy said:

There’s just no excuse getting rid of good players who can accelerate your rebuild. We got our quarterback but we didn’t have to be this bad. 

Its difficult enough for someone who's good at offense to rebuild, an Andy Reid  when you strip all of its talent, a guy who knows what to look for in an offensive player and knows his vision for the offense.

Its exponentially more difficult when you're trying to do it with 2 rookie talent evaluators, with no track record, whose forte is the other side of the ball.

Starting with the D first makes it that much worse.

Carrying the "we want our guys" just adds more to the steep hill they've chosen to climb.

"We know better than everyone else" makes it pretty insurmountable.

A few extra late round draft choices aren't going to help this offense. These guys aren't going to be picking up many late round gems for the O. Nor will a ton of cap space, when they haven't shown the ability to identify talent on that side of the ball.

And you're right...it didn't need to be like this.

Out of the "rebuilds" on the O, this might have been one of the easier ones for the drought teams.

They chose the most difficult path.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CookieG said:

Its difficult enough for someone who's good at offense to rebuild, an Andy Reid  when you strip all of its talent, a guy who knows what to look for in an offensive player and knows his vision for the offense.

Its exponentially more difficult when you're trying to do it with 2 rookie talent evaluators, with no track record, whose forte is the other side of the ball.

Starting with the D first makes it that much worse.

Carrying the "we want our guys" just adds more to the steep hill they've chosen to climb.

"We know better than everyone else" makes it pretty insurmountable.

A few extra late round draft choices aren't going to help this offense. These guys aren't going to be picking up many late round gems for the O. Nor will a ton of cap space, when they haven't shown the ability to identify talent on that side of the ball.

And you're right...it didn't need to be like this.

Out of the "rebuilds" on the O, this might have been one of the easier ones for the drought teams.

They chose the most difficult path.

This. 

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Do you think the current players are happy and would stay here if they had a choice seeing the front office and coaching staff made them worse and continued to cut down the team after they made the playoffs? 

I don't think they are happy, not many enjoy losing, even if they are paid big money.   I still say this is the Process.  Last year the Process got derailed by winning.  When that happened, instead of getting their QB with their high pick, they had to trade away all their draft capital to draft one.   That meant a lot less players.  I was supposed to be one bad year, a slightly better year and then in the third year they would have the talent drafted and go big in the free agent market, which is also after they cleared all the cap room.   

It is just the plan didn't work out.   They won more games than they should have last year and had things make them a lot less competitive this year than they thought they would be.   It wasn't the plan to get blown out.  Just loose close games.

The big worry here is if they are capable of evaluating talent.

Gruden is doing the exact same thing.   Lucky for him, they will be in a different city when the push to win comes.  A new city probably gives him an extra year.

59 minutes ago, bostonadguy said:

The biggest problem you have with tearing down a roster and getting rid of good players is that by becoming so non-competitive, the players remaining get comfortable with losing and you breed  a losing culture and undermine what you are trying to do in the first place.

It seems all they care about is high character guys and not football players. You kind of need both.

if McDermott and Beane aren’t careful, they won’t last long enough for the rebuild.

For the millionth time, there is absolutely no evidence that Brandon Beane or Sean McDermott are emphasizing character over talent.  NONE.

All of the players who were traded away (outside of possibly Marcel Dareus), were shipped off to obtain draft picks, clear cap space or because they just didn't fit the defensive scheme we wanted to run.  Not because of character reasons. 

Dareus was getting paid $16 million per year, and hadn't played well for us... pretty much since the day he signed the contract.  One more off-field problem, and he was likely getting suspended for an entire NFL season.  That's a guy taking up the salary of 3-4 starting players, contributing virtually nothing to this team.  His character issues were the icing on the cake, but not the primary reason for us getting rid of him.

Our front office stood by Zay Jones during his incident this offseason.  They have stood by Shady during his ex-girlfriend's accusations, and likely bypassed opportunities to trade him last week.  Until he retired, they had no problem keeping Ritchie Incognito on the roster - and he's one of the craziest players the NFL has seen in the last decade.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I don't think they are happy, not many enjoy losing, even if they are paid big money.   I still say this is the Process.  Last year the Process got derailed by winning.  When that happened, instead of getting their QB with their high pick, they had to trade away all their draft capital to draft one.   That meant a lot less players.  I was supposed to be one bad year, a slightly better year and then in the third year they would have the talent drafted and go big in the free agent market, which is also after they cleared all the cap room.   

It is just the plan didn't work out.   They won more games than they should have last year and had things make them a lot less competitive this year than they thought they would be.   It wasn't the plan to get blown out.  Just loose close games.

The big worry here is if they are capable of evaluating talent.

Gruden is doing the exact same thing.   Lucky for him, they will be in a different city when the push to win comes.  A new city probably gives him an extra year.

A 10 year guaranteed $100 mil contract gives him an extra year........

It's hilarious that so many believe that being successful and making the playoffs is a setback for a franchise. If these guys were competent and actually good at their jobs, they would have been able to  build off of what they had, instead they continued to want to get rid of talent they didnt hand pick, collect cap space and draft picks, and make the team worse.

1 hour ago, bostonadguy said:

There’s just no excuse getting rid of good players who can accelerate your rebuild. We got our quarterback but we didn’t have to be this bad. 

And who exactly did they get rid of?  Please enlighten us on the good players we “got rid of”. 

Problem with the proccess is it has to work on both sides of the ball.

With McD your going to have a good defense. He schemes well and can find talent anywhere in the draft. Problem is its an offensive league an all the good ocs are going to get hc jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Jesus dude it meant that we no longer have the longest playoff drought in the league. He's obviously not overachieving this year. Next offseason is the money shot. 

instead, now we have the worst performing offense in modern history.

didn't we say "next off season", at the end of last season...? everyone pointed at the previous QB for crippling this offense. now that he's gone, who's to blame, since the offense this year is far worse than last year's?

6 minutes ago, 87168 said:

instead, now we have the worst performing offense in modern history.

didn't we say "next off season", at the end of last season...? everyone pointed at the previous QB for crippling this offense. now that he's gone, who's to blame, since the offense this year is far worse than last year's?

I genuinely do not care because it makes sure that we wont Bills this up and go 7-9. Once playoffs are gone, high draft picks are what matters. 

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I genuinely do not care because it makes sure that we wont Bills this up and go 7-9. Once playoffs are gone, high draft picks are what matters. 

oh we're playing for picks still. i forgot. from playoffs, to tanking for picks. gotta love this new approach.

Look, if it wasn't clear to you that this year would be a step back, I don't know what to tell you. I didn't think it would be this bad, but this year was always about getting rid of dead cap and seeing what we had for 2019.

I was actually impressed with some of Daboll's playcalling, but he's handcuffed by some truly awful QB play in Peterson and Anderson.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bostonadguy said:

The biggest problem you have with tearing down a roster and getting rid of good players is that by becoming so non-competitive, the players remaining get comfortable with losing and you breed  a losing culture and undermine what you are trying to do in the first place.

It seems all they care about is high character guys and not football players. You kind of need both.

if McDermott and Beane aren’t careful, they won’t last long enough for the rebuild.

Yes you do but you have to lay a foundation of young players down first.  Look at Philly and the Rams.  You have to have a lot of young players drafted first for what you want to build and GMs are clearing the players that don't fit to gain the draft capital to do so.  It's a strategy that I'm aboard with.  Winning this season was not a priority.  Development is and should be with a team that was injected with a lot of young players at key positions.  That's all that matters this season.  Unfortunately, some of them have been hurt but hopefully they get back out their soon.  That's the future.  Look past today and see that the process takes time.  The high pick this season will be very interesting come offseason.

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

if youre defending Rex you lose all credibility 

As it turns out, Rex is a better head coach.  I know that is not a popular opinion on this board, but I really don't care.  

Unfortunately, we are stuck with McClappy . . . at least for the time being.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Peter said:

As it turns out, Rex is a better coach.  I know that is not a popular opinion on this board, but I really don't care.  

Unfortunately, we are stuck with McClappy . . . at least for the time being.

it's not, but I wholeheartedly agree.

I really don;t understand why people are so high on McD and his vague speech.

• Like (+1) 1