When was the last time an NFL team gave up on a HC too soon?

BADOLBILZ

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'll give you Belichick and Carroll, but Reid was hardly a guy who was fired too soon. I mean they gave the guy what, 16 years? 

Reid is solid, but I think the premise of this thread is a good one. VERY seldom does a coach get fired "too quickly." 

There is no real premise.  It is just another guy crying because the team isn't doing that well.

What if you flip the question, and ask how many teams become successful switching coaches every year or two?  Answers for that is zero.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

There is no real premise.  It is just another guy crying because the team isn't doing that well.

What if you flip the question, and ask how many teams become successful switching coaches every year or two?  Answers for that is zero.

The problem is not that those teams are switching coaches. It's that they're hiring the wrong coaches in the first place.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The problem is not that those teams are switching coaches. It's that they're hiring the wrong coaches in the first place.

Not necessarily.  Give guys time to put things together.

With your kind of mindset guys like Levy and Belichick and Carroll and Jimmy J may never have become the greats they became.

I'd argue Jim Caldwell shouldn't have been fired by the Lions.  Not the most exciting coach, but three winning seasons and two playoff births in four seasons was impressive given their history.  The Giants haven't done much since they pushed Tom Coughlin out.

3 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Yes but hes posing the question because he wants McD to get fired.  It's the samething as another fire McD thread.

Fair enough, that wasn't my reason for backing the question, I think the fire (insert name) threads have become incessant and tiresome.

IMO McBeane will and should get through this time next year at a minimum. 

Belichick deserved to be fired in Cleveland. 4 out of 5 years were losing seasons. He was about to be fired in 2001(Started 0-2) when Brady fell into his lap.

Marty S was fired in San Diego because him and the GM hated one another. In hindsight, they should've fired the GM.

What about LA Raiders firing Mike Shanahan?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd argue Jim Caldwell shouldn't have been fired by the Lions.  Not the most exciting coach, but three winning seasons and two playoff births in four seasons was impressive given their history.  The Giants haven't done much since they pushed Tom Coughlin out.

Boys or girls?  Coughlin was in NY for 15,000 years and it was time for a change. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Gruden was traded to the Bucs.

I thought I remember Gruden and Al Davis did not get along back then; kind of odd, trading a coach.  Either way, they would have been better off keeping Gruden.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I thought I remember Gruden and Al Davis did not get along back then; kind of odd, trading a coach.  Either way, they would have been better off keeping Gruden.

Davis didn't want to pay big bucks to him so he traded him for picks.  Two #1s plus more.  TB then slaughtered the Raiders in the Super Bowl after Bill Callahan didn't change the play calls.  Easiest SB win ever. 

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Belichick

Pete Carroll

Andy Reid

We all know about Belichik, but what we'll never know is whether the Browns trophy case would be full of Lombardi's if they had retained him. 

Nice call on Carroll. 

Not sure if Reid fits the criteria.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

We all know about Belichik, but what we'll never know is whether the Browns trophy case would be full of Lombardi's if they had retained him. 

Nice call on Carroll. 

Not sure if Reid fits the criteria.

No. Because they moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens. 

46 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

You know, that brings up a really interesting thought. What kind of coach would Bill Belichick even be if not for Brady? He had the one season with Matt Cassel where they went 10-6, but that's not enough of a sample size to say definitively one way or the other.

It's not an original thought, but I'm sure he'd love to win a ring without Brady. Obviously the whole Jimmy G thing has been discussed to death.

We know that before Brady he was around .500 as a HC. He led them to a 5-11 record in 2000 and they lost the opener in ‘01. The Boston media had said Belichick could be be fired as soon as the day after the game vs NYJ if they went 0-2 to start.  He wasn’t though, and the rest as they say is history. NE’s improbable and ridiculously long ( by NFL standards) period of dominance has had Brady as the one constant. Belichick obviously hadn’t had a QB of that caliber while HC up to that point. B.B. clearly wants to win a championship without Brady to cement his own legacy. He lost the power struggle to retain Garrapolo, but you have to wonder if Garrapolo would be the Pats * QB now if it were solely up to him. Kraft of course will never betray his stroke of good luck and will let Brady dictate his own terms. 

• Like (+1) 1

LOL.  Good Lord with these threads.

How about asking what coaches who took their teams to the playoffs and then had a bad year and STAYED as coach went on to win for years?

Beane and McDermott will be in Buffalo for the 2019 season.

Some on this board would of called for Levy's head after losing to the Colts (47-6) in 1987.

Then went on next week to lose again with a total Bills record of 3-8 at the time.

Keep in mind Levy was HC of the Chiefs for 5 years with a 31-42 record.

NO ONE knows what Beane and McDermott's future will be................but they will be here in 2019.

Period.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Factually true, but tangential and irrelevant to the discussion.

Totally relevant based on your question of Cleveland having Lombardi Trophies because of Belichick when they got an expansion franchise having no team until 99. 

The question about the Ravens and Belichick is the one to ask as it was earler in the thread.