When was the last time an NFL team gave up on a HC too soon?

BADOLBILZ

In the coming months we are going to hear a lot about how McD and Beane need more time to execute their plan etc.. and how outrageous it would be to let them go before they have 3-5 years to execute or fail miserably at their objective.

We used to hear the "Bills need to give (insert coach name) more time"  over and over as an excuse for not firing them for poor performance.............and the example used was Belichick being let go by the Browns when they moved to Baltimore.

But really........how many NFL HC's have been fired and then gone on to make that team regret it in the last 25 years?

Can't think of many.

Washington firing Marty Schottenheimer after 2001?

Otherwise I can't even think of any.

Even situations like the Eagles firing Andy Reid that seemed *possibly* ill advised based on past record have not proven to have been mistakes.

Seems to me that nowadays teams can get a VERY GOOD idea of the potential of a HC/GM in a pretty short amount of time on the job.

• Like (+1) 3

The rule Belichick applies to players  to let them go a year early and not a year late should apply to HCs and GMs.  They have so much power that letting them continue a flawed plan only makes more work for the next leadership group.  

• Like (+1) 4

It’s a valid question, and as with any Head Coach it’s about 99% chance McD gets fired by the Bills at some point. When that will be is anyone’s guess, but how much patience should the Pegula’s have ? My guess is they go all out this offseason and try to adresss the myriad problems on offense. That should include a new OC and QB coach. It’s not out of the question that he could be fired before the end of 2019 season if things don’t trend upward greatly in that area. Right now, the probability of plugging all the holes on the offensive side seems remote. It will take a big leap in performance by Allen to make it happen. I think the Beane and McD combo is shown the door immediately following next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The whining is at epic proportions.  Everyone on this board, every single person, knows there are no firings coming.  Yet we are deluged with these same type threads on a constant basis.

To be fair, the current Bills offense is performing at an all time franchise worst level. Fans are naturally irate, and firings should be a serious consideration by team ownership. 

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't disagree with your premise, but Bill Belichick is a glaring anomaly. 

Yep. I’m not certain that Modell messed that one up. He got a Super Bowl win, and the Belichick we know today only happened because of two things: Mo Lewis and Tom Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Rex is NOT the correct answer. Of THAT I am sure. 

I am sure that I am one of the few on this board who disagrees with you.

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was idiotic to get rid of the most successful coach since Wade in less than two years (and after being undermined by leaks throwing him under the bus since before the second regular season and on the day of big games).

Just my two cents.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s a valid question, and as with any Head Coach it’s about 99% chance McD gets fired by the Bills at some point. When that will be is anyone’s guess, but how much patience should the Pegula’s have ? My guess is they go all out this offseason and try to adresss the myriad problems on offense. That should include a new OC and QB coach. It’s not out of the question that he could be fired before the end of 2019 season if things don’t trend upward greatly in that area. Right now, the probability of plugging all the holes on the offensive side seems remote. It will take a big leap in performance by Allen to make it happen. I think the Beane and McD combo is shown the door immediately following next season. 

I think they have next year.....everything seems to be cumulating to next year.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I am sure that I am one of the few on this board who disagrees with you.

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was idiotic to get rid of the most successful coach since Wade in less than two years (and after being undermined by leaks throwing him under the bus since before the second regular season and on the day of big games).

Just my two cents.

He’s only one step above Gruden to me. To each their own! 

(Football aside, I’m not big on loud mouth look at me people.) 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

To be fair, the current Bills offense is performing at an all time franchise worst level. Fans are naturally irate, and firings should be a serious consideration by team ownership. 

Yep. I’m not certain that Modell messed that one up. He got a Super Bowl win, and the Belichick we know today only happened because of two things: Mo Lewis and Tom Brady. 

Belichick had a good thing going with Cleveland and would have likely enjoyed sustained success in Baltimore. 

• Like (+1) 1