Reading last night's 49er / Raider thread , it seems most would love Shanahan>McD???

JerseyBills

I simply laughed.One is 7-18, the other 11-13 , including a playoff berth. I feel like America is just infatuated with offense and scoring and fantasy football lol. 

They  inherited similar situations. Just feel our core roster is much better than theirs , and these are 90% guys M Beane brought in  Better record , better roster decisions , yet it looks like the majority would select Shanahan over McDermott and I just don't understand! Yes, Shanny is an innovator on offense but can he win games and come up with good enough gameplans? It looks like McD is better in their short careers. 

So a poll would be cool , I'd take McD all day , what about you?!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would say it’s more impatience with daboll and McDermott’s ability, or lack thereof, to evaluate his OC and offensive talent. 

Im fine with him as a head coach. I’m not fine with daboll. Watching a play caller scheme an undrafted rookie into 260yds and 3td was disheartening as a Bills fan knowing what we’ve been forced to watch on offense. 

Shanahan making beathard look competent over the year and then what he did last night should put to bed this whole deal about being patient with daboll and his lack of a qb. There are brilliant offensive minds out there. The bills should not settle or rest until they find one to compliment MCD and his head coaching. 

• Like (+1) 1

Shanahan. It’s a lot harder to build a successful offense than a successful defense.  The team Shanahan took over was far worse than what McDermott inherited.  The Niners were a hair behind Cleveland.

This year, Shanahan lost his franchise QB early in the season to injury and has still put a productive offense on the field.  They have the same number of wins as the Bills and have been competitive in every game.

Not sure what’s wrong with the Niners’ defense, as they’ve invested a ton of high picks on their d-line, but it can be fixed a lot quicker than the Bills’ offense.

• Like (+1) 7

I'm not giving up on McDermott either just yet, but Kyle Shanahan's track record with offense and QB's speaks for itself. Robert Griffin coached to OROY and the job he did with Cousins after. He then ends up in Atlanta where they have their best offensive season, Matt Ryan wins MVP, both Freeman and Coleman have their best years, and they then pull the biggest choke job in SB history. Shanahan has been good at offense no matter where he has been. It just depends on what you want. If Shanahan was here the offense would likely be better, but the defense would likely be worse. It's hard to argue because you have no idea what the personnel would be like at this point. It could very well be like the Gailey years all over again. Bottom line is we need better personnel on offense right now. I choose to hold out banging my gavel until the OL and WR spots are addressed. If we are having this same convo next year at this time then it's a problem. 

I think McDermott is a good coach but I think it's obvious that he and Beane have mishandled the offense since they've been here. That's why it's tough to watch Shanahan put up 31 points with an UDFA QB. The Bills would need 4 games to get to 31 at the rate they score so a little envy is understandable.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I haven't lost hope, but I am definitely not optimistic any longer.

Itll be tough waiting on free agency and seeing how they will spend the money. I don’t think they have earned us assuming the best but that doesn’t mean it’ll go bad either. 

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I simply laughed.One is 7-18, the other 11-13 , including a playoff berth. I feel like America is just infatuated with offense and scoring and fantasy football lol. 

They  inherited similar situations. Just feel our core roster is much better than theirs , and these are 90% guys M Beane brought in  Better record , better roster decisions , yet it looks like the majority would select Shanahan over McDermott and I just don't understand! Yes, Shanny is an innovator on offense but can he win games and come up with good enough gameplans? It looks like McD is better in their short careers. 

So a poll would be cool , I'd take McD all day , what about you?!?

You should actually create a poll for this if you want to poll people.

in this league I think you can get a much higher quality DC than OC. To get an innovative offensive mind he needs to be head coach in many cases (especially if wanting to keep him around). You can snag an excellent defensive guy at the coordinator level as defense isn’t as valued. 

Seems natural to me that in this leagues current state you’d only hire a defensive head coach if he were head and shoulders above the rest AND came with an excellent built in offensive partner 

• Like (+1) 4

I think McDermott is a good coach but he's got some conservative tendencies that he needs to adjust if the Bills are going to be successful in today' NFL.  But will he?  But the frustrating thing here is the defense has played well enough that with just an average offense the Bills could have scored W's against the Texans and Patriots.  With that they'd be sitting in a good spot at 4-4.  The disparity between the level of play between the offense and defense is almost impossible to believe.  If both were bad then it might be easier to explain.  Right now all I can figure the cause is neglect.  McDermott is kind of like a parent giving one child all the attention at the expense of their sibling.  If you look around the league you see a lot of innovative offensive minds but the Bills with Daboll lack that trait.  The thing I don't know is what constraints McDermott has put on Daboll, if any.  At this point the season is more or less over so why not step out of the comfort zone and open thing up?

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Itll be tough waiting on free agency and seeing how they will spend the money. I don’t think they have earned us assuming the best but that doesn’t mean it’ll go bad either. 

You should actually create a poll for this if you want to poll people.

in this league I think you can get a much higher quality DC than OC. To get an innovative offensive mind he needs to be head coach in many cases (especially if wanting to keep him around). You can snag an excellent defensive guy at the coordinator level as defense isn’t as valued. 

Seems natural to me that in this leagues current state you’d only hire a defensive head coach if he were head and shoulders above the rest AND came with an excellent built in offensive partner 

Bill & Tom probably aren't going to leave New England anytime soon. 

I like McDermott but I don't see any growth with this team offensively. To go into next season without any offensive success is just not going to be good for the future of the team. To have absolutely no foundation doesn't lead me to believe it will appear from nothing. 

Unfortunately as much as I like him the team is becoming the punchline of a lot of jokes. If the offense doesn't show at least something before the season is out I predict it won't be good until maybe the next HC. 

11 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I like McDermott but I don't see any growth with this team offensively. To go into next season without any offensive success is just not going to be good for the future of the team. To have absolutely no foundation doesn't lead me to believe it will appear from nothing. 

Unfortunately as much as I like him the team is becoming the punchline of a lot of jokes. If the offense doesn't show at least something before the season is out I predict it won't be good until maybe the next HC. 

i think that the process was to strip it down, then build it back up again with a solid foundation. and i think it was going to be a three year build, at least, that;s the way it reads to me. problem is, year one was actually successful, and year two is absolutely painful. this was the year they retooled the defense, and we have to wait for next year to see how the reassemble the offensive side of the ball. if they had gone in reverse order, it might have been a lot more fun.