2019 Mock Draft already up...

Big Turk

6 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Drafting "needs" with a Top 5 pick would also not be ideal. You take BPA. And you do have to play two cornerbacks, so it's not even close to a waste. If you believe this guy will be a shutdown cornerback, you now potentially have pro bowl level players at all secondary positions and an elite middle linebacker. It's not my first choice, but the aversion to picking cornerbacks in a passing league here is over-the-top. 

I respect that view. I do think though if you are looking to build a team in the long run, you have an issue if you hit on both those picks. I think the only time you get return or win on a trade involving a top 5 pick is when you trade it, never on the player. So say they do hit on that, is the team going to invest 30 mil a year on two corners?

I get bpa, I'm a fan of it. But I do believe in pragmatism. This defense has played great in quite a few games where the team has no chance. If the BPA isn't replacing a need on defense, you have to go offense. And if BPA on offense isn't worth the pick, you trade down. Just my opinion, I usually like what you're saying and stacking talent. But I also think you need to be pragmatic.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Have Bills picking 5th and taking a Tre White clone.

I will vomit if this happens. They better take a goddamn WR or trade down to acquire more picks so they can take a WR and a TE.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-buccaneers-replace-jameis-winston-with-a-turnover-averse-quarterback/amp/

I can see us needing a WR but Croom looks like he could be decent, he seems to get open when given the chance and I'd like to see more of him before going high for a TE imo.

Its just hard to fathom only being in the 5th draft slot with how bad the Bills are.....my guess is they win 2-3 more games and end up drafting 7th or 8th..darn there goes getting that CB

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

So you think a team can draft 10 starters if they trade back?  Wow.

I agree its unrealistic but would suggest they make trades that bring in 2020 draft capital..for example (if they can find a willing suitor) I'd love to see them send their 6th this coming year for a 5th in 2020 and their 7th for a 6th in 2020 and so on to allow Beane to package those picks and say a 3rd to move for an extra 2nd in 2020

I’ve always been of the mindset that you take the best player available at the position you have the most need. You’ll find your pick where those two lines intersect. Drafting is FAR from an exact science and history shows there’s as many ‘busts’ as superstars. So, if you’re going to swing and miss it might as well be at a position of supreme need. With that said I’d go with either a WR or OL and probably lean toward OL as they have the best chance of a longer, productive career. The mock lists a couple of interior linemen. While not flashy, i’d give them a long hard look.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

No Bruce (remember he was a chubby underachiever early) , but a Bosa and an Oliver. I’m not passing judgment, there are far better here to do that, but there are some STUD D-Liine guys this year. Kyle will be gone. I’d think twice before passing on them to get a marginal RT and a 50/50 bust WR. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not AGAINST trading back (which I generally prefer), but not blindly with the risk of passing on HOF talent. The offense needs SERIOUS help, but being stupid about it doesn't really help in the long run. I’m not PUSHING for this, just being fully aware. 

Take great talent when you can. 

I think that our OL deficits are mostly going to be addressed through free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if another receiver was brought in the same way. Most of the current draft reporting indicate that there is a lot of top shelf talent on the DL. It's safe to assume that we will be drafting high and it is more likely that our defensive-minded HC will be inclined to use his first pick on a defensive player.

Our offense is so dismal and especially deficient on the OL and receiver unit that the HC will make it a priority to address those units from free agency where the acquired players can immediately be plugged and  play. The strategy for the offense is to put Josh Allen in a position to succeed and be less vulnerable to injuries. That can be more quickly done through the free agent market. 

I, like you, wouldn't be against a reasonable trade down where we still could get an upper-echelon player and additional picks. However, as you stated, if it come down to having a chance to select an elite player or trade down to get multiple good players the best approach would be to add an elite talent who would more likely be an impact player. 

I really believe that with a judicious use of our cap space and draft picks this team can significantly bolster its roster. A lot of painful moves were made to put this franchise in this position to have a lot of personnel flexibility. Now the issue is can it take advantage of such a propitious situation?

• Like (+1) 1

If we’re picking too 5 take the bpa and that most likely be a defensive player. Picking that high will still allow us to grab an impact offensive player in the 2nd possible 3rd round. I have no problem drafting for need in round 2 but don’t want another Watkins/Mack mistake again. When it’s all said I’m hoping we picked after the 10 pick, that will allow us to grab a receiver in the first without reaching for one 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Yes indeed! My point was basically to THINK and make judgement when draft time comes. I’m NOT saying they have the next Bruce, but just that they should THINK and consider all options. I’m not the hyperbolic voice here. Rest your agenda, and read with a calm mind. 

Oh, I am thinking. And am calm.

I'm just not the one trying to compare Nick Bosa to Bruce.

Objectively, I'd say I'm the one typing with the calm mind.

The best thing is to be in a draft spot to pick an elite player at a position of need.  In the Bills situation a dominant offensive lineman or a game-changing WR.  Absent that my approach would be to look at BPA relative to the magnitude of the addition of that player compared to who you have in that spot now.  That all assumes you've got some analytics and grading system in place that works. But if picking a CB that grades at 90 makes my pass defense 10% better or an OT that grades out at 85% that makes my pass blocking 25% better I take the OT.  And again this all assumes you've got some competence at player evaluation which you'd expect pro front offices to have.  Or not!

20 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Have Bills picking 5th and taking a Tre White clone.

I will vomit if this happens. They better take a goddamn WR or trade down to acquire more picks so they can take a WR and a TE.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-buccaneers-replace-jameis-winston-with-a-turnover-averse-quarterback/amp/

If we could get a CB as good as White, not sure I'd vomit.  I'd also not get worked up about a 2019 mock draft in November 2018.

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Gotta go Greg little, IMO.  I have confidence in McD to draft CB talent in later rounds.  Plus, Taron Johnson looks like he’s going to be a good one.

i know , right? no bosa or oliver and why isn't herbert in the list?  if they can go from 5 to 7 or 8 and still get little,...or that jonah guy, they gotta do it, however, the bills are gonna run the table with nate and josh so our draft postion will be entirely different anyway.....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CookieG said:

Oh, I am thinking. And am calm.

I'm just not the one trying to compare Nick Bosa to Bruce.

Objectively, I'd say I'm the one typing with the calm mind.

Nobody is saying Bosa is Bruce. Just that we must consider all options. That is the point. The smart thing to do MAY in fact be to go defense. I’m NOT saying it will be, but you can’t decide without knowing the facts. 

On 11/2/2018 at 8:36 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You wouldn’t waste a pick that high on OL, but you’d spend a top 5 pick on a RB?

There is no Saquan Barkley in this class.  Not even close.

Word. Enough with the "we have to run in Buffalo because its too cold to pass" crap. The NFL is a super highway with no speed limits and we are running an offense built for boy scout hiking trails. We need an OL than can pass block and pass catchers at every skill position. Sooooooooooooooo freaking tired of run, run, pass, punt.

Sorry for the crappy highway/hiking trail metaphor but its Monday and at least 68% of my brain circuitry is still under repair after watching that game Sunday.  

9 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Word. Enough with the "we have to run in Buffalo because its too cold to pass" crap. The NFL is a super highway with no speed limits and we are running an offense built for boy scout hiking trails. We need an OL than can pass block and pass catchers at every skill position. Sooooooooooooooo freaking tired of run, run, pass, punt.

Sorry for the crappy highway/hiking trail metaphor but its Monday and at least 68% of my brain circuitry is still under repair after watching that game Sunday.  

No running back high

To me its the top OT or trade down for picks.....someone is going to make us an offer.