Ian Wharton: How Each Rookie NFL Quarterback Has Fared Halfway Through the 2018 Season

By Ian Wharton

The 2018 rookie quarterback class is halfway through their first season., and we look in-depth at how each of the top-10 picks has performed.

The last few quarterback draft classes has led to a new era of NFL passing efficiency. Offenses have exploded as rules, playmakers, and quarterbacks have spread defenses to the brink of their capabilities.

The 2018 class has already seen the top-four quarterbacks selected named as a starter, and the fifth, Lamar Jackson, figures to be a starter in the next year or two. Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Josh Rosen have each claimed their starting job for the foreseeable future.

It’s easier for quarterbacks now than ever to post adequate statistics and be average. Efficiency numbers are through the roof, but it still takes special talent to score touchdowns instead of field goals in the red zone. That’s where each of these rookies will have to hone their craft to prove worthy of their lofty draft status over the next four years.

After reviewing every throw of each of the top-four rookies, it’s time to look at how each has performed to date. As rookies, the book is far from written as to how their careers will pan out, but their strengths and areas to improve have been on display early on. How they evolve from now can define their career success.

Going in sequential draft order, we’ll highlight what’s to like, what needs improvement, and their outlook moving forward based on what is known today. Jackson won’t be featured since he hasn’t played meaningful snaps at quarterback yet.

What's Next for the NFL's Five First-Round Rookie Quarterbacks?

Five quarterbacks were selected in the first round of April's draft. The arrival of the group -- which includes Baker Mayfield (Browns), Sam Darnold (Jets), Josh Allen (Bills), Josh Rosen (Cardinals) and Lamar Jackson (Ravens) -- looked as if it was going to be one of the stories of 2018 ... but it hasn't quite worked out that way so far. Are the kids all right? Let's see how it's looking and what may come next.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This reads like a guy who loved Mayfield and Rosen predraft and didn't like Allen or Darnold. 

"Most worrisome is the utter lack of football awareness. Situational football separates winners from losers on a weekly basis, and Allen has never demonstrated he’s competent on conversion downs or able to progress quickly to mismatches. Everything moves slowly for Allen’s eyes and his arm can only make up for it so often. He’s only played the position for a few years, and it has certainly been reflected on the field."

I really disagree with that. Allen is a smart player and I think saying he lacks football awareness is way off. The idea that he hasn't played the position long is dumb as well. Darnold played quarterback one year in high school and 2 at USC. Anyway I think Allen's issues are all mechanical. Footwork, release point and all that stuff. And we don't have mismatches to progress to because our receivers aren't those types of guys. This analysis is pretty off imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Umn.......WTF

Rosen has not been good...this is not to say that he wont be good in the future I think they all have a chance to be....but to ignore the fact that Rosen has been bad just to keep the agenda alive is an insult to those of us that have watched him play

Let me know when you have looked at every single throw from each of the QBs.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let me know when you have looked at every single throw from each of the QBs.

Watching Rosen vs the Niners is pretty much lets you know who he is vs who he can be.

The 1st 3 quarters is pretty much what you saw the whole year. A young QB making young throws. 

He finished that game very nicely. Thats who he can be. 

• Like (+1) 1

What's Next for the NFL's Five First-Round Rookie Quarterbacks?

Five quarterbacks were selected in the first round of April's draft. The arrival of the group -- which includes Baker Mayfield (Browns), Sam Darnold (Jets), Josh Allen (Bills), Josh Rosen (Cardinals) and Lamar Jackson (Ravens) -- looked as if it was going to be one of the stories of 2018 ... but it hasn't quite worked out that way so far. Are the kids all right? Let's see how it's looking and what may come next.

I haven't watched as much NFL this year as I would like, but I have seen bits and pieces of all 5 of the 1st round rookies this year.  I have seen missed reads, inaccurate throws, interceptions and pick 6's (not as much from Jackson, because most of his snaps are running plays or gadget plays and not really "regular" QB snaps).  Just about what you would expect from rookie QB's on poor teams.  I have also seen some positive plays made by each of them.  Just about what you'd expect from NFL players with first round talent.  It's just too soon to tell who will ultimately succeed and who will ultimately bust.  Jackson and Allen have played the least, so there's even less to go on for them.  I think we'll have a better idea on all of these guys (except maybe for Jackson, if Flacco stays the starter in Baltimore) at the end of next season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I haven't watched as much NFL this year as I would like, but I have seen bits and pieces of all 5 of the 1st round rookies this year.  I have seen missed reads, inaccurate throws, interceptions and pick 6's (not as much from Jackson, because most of his snaps are running plays or gadget plays and not really "regular" QB snaps).  Just about what you would expect from rookie QB's on poor teams.  I have also seen some positive plays made by each of them.  Just about what you'd expect from NFL players with first round talent.  It's just too soon to tell who will ultimately succeed and who will ultimately bust.  Jackson and Allen have played the least, so there's even less to go on for them.  I think we'll have a better idea on all of these guys (except maybe for Jackson, if Flacco stays the starter in Baltimore) at the end of next season.

Nope.  You have to pick the best one right now, and the rest are garbage.  Everybody knows that.

Hint: pick Josh Rosen or the OP will throw a tantrum.

• Like (+1) 1

Darn shame that trolls refuse to read or just want to instigate.  

After reviewing every throw of each of the top-four rookies, it’s time to look at how each has performed to date. As rookies, the book is far from written as to how their careers will pan out, but their strengths and areas to improve have been on display early on. How they evolve from now can define their career success.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Darn shame that trolls refuse to read or just want to instigate.  

Trolls?  We all know what your thinly veiled agenda is, pal.  Get real....

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Too bad the offense that Allen is learning with sucks.  I blame the fans. 

That will get corrected in the offseason by Beane in UFA and the draft.   They have to surround him with better talent as PHI, KC, CHI, and LAR have all done. 

I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a living as a sports analyst/writer. More power to them. Other than entertainment and fortification of current opinion, these writings are not worth the paper they are written on. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a living as a sports analyst/writer. More power to them. Other than entertainment and fortification of current opinion, these writings are not worth the paper they are written on. 

Nice empty statement absent of any substance or real analysis. Well done. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz