Why rebuilding isn't an excuse for what's happening this year

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

"good" offense created by castrating the defense isn't good offense.

You can still play good defense without having to resort to cheap shots and hard hitting players coming across the middle. You are one of the ones that probably loved when McCoach said he wants a tough defense, play field position and pound the rock. Thats the blue collar Bills way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

You can still play good defense without having to resort to cheap shots and hard hitting players coming across the middle. You are one of the ones that probably loved when McCoach said he wants a tough defense, play field position and pound the rock. Thats the blue collar Bills way. 

First sentence: you absolutely cannot, and this year is proof of that.

Second sentence: You wanna play assumption games? I've formed a LOT of assumptions about you, none of which are flattering, I assure you.

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

First sentence: you absolutely cannot, and this year is proof of that.

Second sentence: You wanna play assumption games? I've formed a LOT of assumptions about you, none of which are flattering, I assure you.

The only way to play good defense is to hit defenseless receivers in the middle of the field so QB's won't throw there. I have seen it enough in hockey were guys careers are destroyed and their daily life is never the same. 

I would love to hear your assumptions of me cause I am sure you are far off the truth. 

As far as rebuilding goes, IMO this regime has done it backwards. The way the league is now you need a top offense over a top defense. If you look at the top teams in the league they all have a top rated offense and an average defense at best. Look at the teams with the top defenses they all around .500 or worse. The blue collar, play the field position team doesn't work any more.  

31 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

As far as rebuilding goes, IMO this regime has done it backwards. The way the league is now you need a top offense over a top defense. If you look at the top teams in the league they all have a top rated offense and an average defense at best. Look at the teams with the top defenses they all around .500 or worse. The blue collar, play the field position team doesn't work any more.  

Thank you for sharing your completely original and insightful opinions with us all.

18 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

Does everyone forget that we lost both Incognito and Wood unexpectedly?  I don't think having to replace those two were a part of their plan last offseason. 

Do they make their plan and stick with it no matter what?  Those guys were gone pre FA. Sometimes one had to change plans when situations change.  If not, you and your plan will go down with the ship. Like we are watching this year.

Odds are probably 90%+ something unexpected happens this off season too.

Sorry, but it's a lame excuse IMHO.

9 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Do they make their plan and stick with it no matter what?  Those guys were gone pre FA. Sometimes one had to change plans when situations change.  If not, you and your plan will go down with the ship. Like we are watching this year.

Odds are probably 90%+ something unexpected happens this off season too.

Sorry, but it's a lame excuse IMHO.

And Incognito wasn't "lost unexpectedly".

They were dicking him around for a while and seemingly preparing to move on from him long before they actually did, despite having no plan in place for replacing him.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

They were dicking him around for a while and seemingly preparing to move on from him long before they actually did, despite having no plan in place for replacing him.

The decision making this off season is disturbing.  It's also the first full off season with Beane at the controls. I hope it was a fluke and not bidness as usual for him.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

And how exactly do you know this.......he was offered a contract that he accepted?

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, billsfan_34 said:

No QB- no success in todays NFL. They have grossly mismanaged the QB position. If they were smart, Beane will pick another qb in next years draft! 

right on. Although I am not convinced that Allen is a failure yet. I could see within 2 games all the bills bad QB pickups the past 20 yrs.It usually took the Bills brilliant organization 3 yrs to work that out. With Allen I see enough good that I cant just write him off with complete confidence. So definitely draft a QB and let the competition be brutal and lively.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tcali said:

right on. Although I am not convinced that Allen is a failure yet. I could see within 2 games all the bills bad QB pickups the past 20 yrs.It usually took the Bills brilliant organization 3 yrs to work that out. With Allen I see enough good that I cant just write him off with complete confidence. So definitely draft a QB and let the competition be brutal and lively.

Blake Bottles was in the ARC Championship game last year and his team beat Big Ben's team to get there.

Not saying you don't need a qb, but you can still be successful (i call making afc championship a successful season) with an average one on a good team if you play your cards right.

That said, hopefully Wonder Boy rewrites the  record book and wins multiple Lombardis FOR US.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Blake Bottles was in the ARC Championship game last year and his team beat Big Ben's team to get there.

Not saying you don't need a qb, but you can still be successful (i call making afc championship a successful season) with an average one on a good team if you play your cards right.

That said, hopefully Wonder Boy rewrites the  record book and wins multiple Lombardis FOR US.

Usually teams that are built like that are one ofs and don't win year in and year out. Its hard to keep a high ranked defense together for multiple years. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

Usually teams that are built like that are one ofs and don't win year in and year out. Its hard to keep a high ranked defense together for multiple years. 

I don't know about you, but I would be tickled pink if the Bills were to put together a nice 3 year playoff run winning multiple playoff games.

Just now, reddogblitz said:

I don't know about you, but I would be tickled pink if the Bills were to put together a nice 3 year playoff run winning multiple playoff games.

I would rather be a team like the Steelers or Patriots go into every season knowing they have a chance to win the Super Bowl. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

I would rather be a team like the Steelers or Patriots go into every season knowing they have a chance to win the Super Bowl. 

who woudn't?  Both of those teams have good Ds year in and year out btw.

What I'm not willing to do is tank and suck in the eternal quest for the golden armed franchise QB which we have and are doing.  Losing sucks

I watch Bills games on Sunday and it's just so much more fun when we win. Last year was fun because watching other games late in the year meant something.

What do we know about being a team like that? How about we just be competitive and make the playoffs first. Build from there.

Although I'm a believer that every draft should include a lineman in the top 3 rounds, losing Woods (health) and Incognito (loony) this off-season has thrown a bit of a wrench into the rebuild.  Given that Glenn always had injuries here led me not to miss him, but it's interesting that he's able to stay healthy now.

With cap space there will be no excuse next off-season.

PK

Others have hopefully typed this already (apologies, if so):

To consider recent examples of what I hope the Bills are thinking, see also: Eagles and Bears picking their QBs and not surrounding them with talent until year 2 (comprehensive FA and draft revamps of offensive skill positions). Rams did it as well, but more by mistake, or fortune, organizationally. 

There's considerable, current, evidence for drafting the QB and THEN worrying about the supporting cast.

On 11/2/2018 at 5:22 PM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Lolz at this board.  

Its really all code for "we are losing so the rebuild isn't working" 

You can really hide it in whatever justification you like, the fact is you don't like the pains of a rebuild.  

Step one was always get the QB.  Now they got him.  Now they build around him.  Its hard to judge the progress of Allen because he hasn't really played and has been denied the chance to develop.  

Yes.

Year Two is when we evaluate the QB they drafted. Because they'll bring in weapons beforehand or get fired.

It became clear (last year) in PHI and LAR, and appears to be playing out well (this year) in CHI and HOU (except against the Bills D) and KC (different context).

• Like (+1) 1