Why rebuilding isn't an excuse for what's happening this year

I'm not talking about the record, I've never cared about that for this season. But I think that's what some people think rebuilding is, and that's all it is. There's a development process within rebuilding that the regime should be judged on as they go, they're not successfully rebuilding because we stink. What I wanted to see was organizational progress, and the #1 priority there is the development of the guy they used a lot of assets and draft capital to get...yet we're basically going to lose an entire year of legitimate development for him.

How it can be excused that after 2 offseasons with this regime, knowing the franchise QB they picked would be the difference between it being a success or a failure, that we have absolutely no protection or weapons for him? I don't know that he's going to be good even with that, I don't know if he has the accuracy to be a top level QB, but we have to find out as soon as possible.

And what faith, not in the McDermott/Peterman way, are we supposed to have that this regime can identify talent on the o-line when after 2 offseasons we have one passable starter? Are we supposed to be confident that they can find 4 before next season? Let alone skill players at almost every single offensive position. 

The progression during the rebuild is what needs to be looked at, and I think it's alarming how many holes we have after 2 offseasons. A successful rebuild in today's NFL should really happen in 3 years and we're not even close to that. The organizational planning is also very concerning, most notably with obviously how the QB situation was so badly handled this year. When you watch these games from Peterman and Anderson...this is the brainpower and evaluation abilities of Beane and McDermott at work. 

I don't care about being 2-6 or whatever we end up with. But to basically lose an entire precious year of development on the offensive side of the ball doesn't instill much faith in Beane and McDermott's ability to rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 4

You're preaching to the choir with me!

Some of us were calling for Allen to start Game 1 all summer long.

McBeane have already demonstrated that they have zero ability to gauge QB talent or manage that position.

And they are the ones who drafted Allen.

Good luck with that.

• Like (+1) 4

41 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'm not talking about the record, I've never cared about that for this season. But I think that's what some people think rebuilding is, and that's all it is. There's a development process within rebuilding that the regime should be judged on as they go, they're not successfully rebuilding because we stink. What I wanted to see was organizational progress, and the #1 priority there is the development of the guy they used a lot of assets and draft capital to get...yet we're basically going to lose an entire year of legitimate development for him.

How it can be excused that after 2 offseasons with this regime, knowing the franchise QB they picked would be the difference between it being a success or a failure, that we have absolutely no protection or weapons for him? I don't know that he's going to be good even with that, I don't know if he has the accuracy to be a top level QB, but we have to find out as soon as possible.

And what faith, not in the McDermott/Peterman way, are we supposed to have that this regime can identify talent on the o-line when after 2 offseasons we have one passable starter? Are we supposed to be confident that they can find 4 before next season? Let alone skill players at almost every single offensive position. 

The progression during the rebuild is what needs to be looked at, and I think it's alarming how many holes we have after 2 offseasons. A successful rebuild in today's NFL should really happen in 3 years and we're not even close to that. The organizational planning is also very concerning, most notably with obviously how the QB situation was so badly handled this year. When you watch these games from Peterman and Anderson...this is the brainpower and evaluation abilities of Beane and McDermott at work. 

I don't care about being 2-6 or whatever we end up with. But to basically lose an entire precious year of development on the offensive side of the ball doesn't instill much faith in Beane and McDermott's ability to rebuild. 

We are in year 1 of the rebuild. 

Making the playoffs last year wiped out that year being a rebuilding year no matter what moves were made. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You're preaching to the choir with me!

Some of us were calling for Allen to start Game 1 all summer long.

McBeane have already demonstrated that they have zero ability to gauge QB talent or manage that position.

And they are the ones who drafted Allen.

Good luck with that.

We know.     ?

I was good with not starting him for at least that first 4 game stretch, taking the cautious approach. I wont bother to go into anything positive that nobody wants to hear. We all know both sides of this thing, and ultimately time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

No QB- no success in todays NFL. They have grossly mismanaged the QB position. If they were smart, Beane will pick another qb in next years draft! 

I like how we give up on a rookie QB four games into his NFL career. My god guys. We would be picking QBs in the first round in every draft if we had it your way and dumped someone after one year because they weren't an all-pro. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

No QB- no success in todays NFL. They have grossly mismanaged the QB position. If they were smart, Beane will pick another qb in next years draft! 

Allen is a high ceiling guy in the future but he was not polished coming in, to make a determination now is the definition of shortsighted. The vast majority of players take more than 4 games to get good-some take years so maybe slow the firing squad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I kind of agree with the OP. I also understand the rebuild thing, however I would like to also see development with the QB and offense as a whole. Even when they lose, that's fine, I still want to see a little progress at least with the offense and maybe we still will.

There is still time left to show the progression of the QB, but I agree it will also be difficult considering the WR that are not good also. But if we can just see a few spurts here and there with Allen when he gets back, I think a lot of people will feel a little better about things going forward. I know I will.

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

But you do care about the 2-6 thing, and if you had been paying attention you would realize certain sacrifices were made to get to the point they could be free from the issues of the prior regime. If the offense is not satisfactorily addressed next year, they will be considered failures and most likely will be fired then. 

Nobody knows if And when Allen will return this season and what if any progress he will make. Stating you know how this will all play out is a lie, nobody knows for sure...

26 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

A couple things here:

#1.  The o-line is actually not playing bad

#2.  All QB's on the roster are horrible, including Allen.  He is not an accurate passer and I fear the Bills missed on him.

#3.  See #2

This offensive line is in fact playing bad.....they cannot block for the run to save their lives....they cannot get out in front of screens......they are inconsistant in their pass protection

They are playing bad

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

We are in year 1 of the rebuild. 

Making the playoffs last year wiped out that year being a rebuilding year no matter what moves were made. 

We're in year 2. How in the world does last season wipe out a year?

The job of a new regime when they come aboard is to evaluate and determine the direction of the organization. They did that and decided to rebuild. The team was mediocre, got to 9-7 and with a little luck, made the playoffs. And I gave the regime credit for continuing the rebuild because I agreed that the team was mediocre at best without a high ceiling. There's no point in being mediocre. It was the right thing to do to continue the rebuild.

But they haven't amassed the amount of talent they should have after 2 offseasons. We still have the entire offense to go and we need to get younger at a couple of positions on defense. This is at least 2 offseasons of work, maybe more based on the pace that we're on now. In today's NFL, it's a slow pace, and front offices that are slow in this league don't last very long. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

We're in year 2. How in the world does last season wipe out a year?

The job of a new regime when they come aboard is to evaluate and determine the direction of the organization. They did that and decided to rebuild. The team was mediocre, got to 9-7 and with a little luck, made the playoffs. And I gave the regime credit for continuing the rebuild because I agreed that the team was mediocre at best without a high ceiling. There's no point in being mediocre. It was the right thing to do to continue the rebuild.

But they haven't amassed the amount of talent they should have after 2 offseasons. We still have the entire offense to go and we need to get younger at a couple of positions on defense. This is at least 2 offseasons of work, maybe more based on the pace that we're on now. In today's NFL, it's a slow pace, and front offices that are slow in this league don't last very long. 

I agree that we are in year 2 of the rebiuld.......the problem i am having with your idea is that you think rebiulds should take 2 years max.

That is not the way Beane and McD did it......I totally respect the opinions of ppl that didnt like the approach that Beane and McD took.....but....THIS IS THE WAY THEY CHOSE TO DO IT

The dead cap situation (which yes they created) made it impossible to be competative this year.   My personal opinion now is that they expected to be bad on offense....but not THIS bad.

You dont get a top 5 pick in the draft by being good.   It shocks me a little bit that we were not sellers at the trade deadline to accumulate even more picks.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

But you do care about the 2-6 thing, and if you had been paying attention you would realize certain sacrifices were made to get to the point they could be free from the issues of the prior regime. If the offense is not satisfactorily addressed next year, they will be considered failures and most likely will be fired then. 

Nobody knows if And when Allen will return this season and what if any progress he will make. Stating you know how this will all play out is a lie, nobody knows for sure...

I don't care at all about 2-6. I'd be happier if we were 0-8 but had some level of decent protection for our rookie QB and at least a couple of weapons and see the development of a real offense. That's where this league is if you want a perennial contender. No team in this league sustains a great defense for a long period of time anymore. It's going to fluctuate. Having a top level QB is the way to become a contender year after year. 

Nothing being said here is subjective, unless you're arguing that more talent around a rookie QB would somehow be a deterrent. And if you're arguing that, I don't really know what to say. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I don't care at all about 2-6. I'd be happier if we were 0-8 but had some level of decent protection for our rookie QB and at least a couple of weapons and see the development of a real offense. That's where this league is if you want a perennial contender. No team in this league sustains a great defense for a long period of time anymore. It's going to fluctuate. Having a top level QB is the way to become a contender year after year. 

Nothing being said here is subjective, unless you're arguing that more talent around a rookie QB would somehow be a deterrent. And if you're arguing that, I don't really know what to say. 

Are you saying that more talent around Allen would NOT have made a difference?   Really?