Bills might very well be the worst offensive team in NFL history compared to the era they play in

Big Turk

On 11/2/2018 at 12:54 PM, matter2003 said:
2 mind numbing stats:

1) There are only 4 QBs who have thrown at least 3 more INTs than TD passes this season. 3 of them are on the Bills and the other is Jameis Winston who got benched.

2) The Bills are on pace to have 6 TD passes and 26 INTs for the season. The other 31 teams are on pace to average 29 TD passes and 14 INTs

You should checkout this article which shows historically how bad we are - http://www.footballperspective.com/week-6-passing-stats-the-bills-are-above-average-at-passing-for-1941/

"In 1941, the league average completion percentage was 44.3%; the 2018 Bills are completing passes at a 50.6% clip"

"In 1941, the average NFL team gained 122 passing yards per game; the 2018 Bills are gaining 123 passing yards per game."

"If you want to use yards per attempt, you have to go back to 1935 to find a season where Buffalo’s current 5.39 Y/A average would be above average.   The last time the league average ANY/A was below 2.0 was in 1938, and the NFL has never had a NY/A average as poor as the 2018 Bills."

There's more, but those just excerpts really paint enough of a picture on their own...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Or Peterman is bad enough to ensure the top 5 pick

You cant complain they are not competitive and then say you understand they are gonna have a losing season.

The more time that goes on....the more I am thinking that is the mistake that was made last offseason....the first year of the rebiuld.....everything pointed towards them taking a QB in this past draft......and they ended up winning too many games and had to give up 2nd round picks....picks that could have been helping us NOW.....to select the QB that they had to use Glenn a trade bait and use picks to get to the 7th spot.

The bills are not making that mistake again.....

When I say competitive I mean game wise.  Losing but still be in games till atleast the 4th quarter.  Other rebuilding teams manage to score points and stay in games without being over before the end of the 1st quarter. That is what I have been talking about and what most fans expected this season. Its exactly why I think they are building this team backwards. The way the league is now you need a top offense more then a top defense. The teams with the top defenses have a .500 record or worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

When I say competitive I mean game wise.  Losing but still be in games till atleast the 4th quarter.  Other rebuilding teams manage to score points and stay in games without being over before the end of the 1st quarter. That is what I have been talking about and what most fans expected this season. Its exactly why I think they are building this team backwards. The way the league is now you need a top offense more then a top defense. The teams with the top defenses have a .500 record or worse. 

Once again....that is not the way they chose to do it....for better or worse we will not know if they were right until we see what they do this next offseason.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Once again....that is not the way they chose to do it....for better or worse we will not know if they were right until we see what they do this next offseason.

Give them the offseason to fix the offense but I am not keeping my hopes up. The QB situation is laughable this season and it is why I question if they know how to build an offense in today's game. The fact McDermott believes you can win in this league by playing field position and running the ball is a big question mark. 

23 hours ago, 87168 said:

but we're talking about this season. the Browns made moves to get better. if they had a decent kicker, they'd have four wins. the Bills made moves and got much worse, this season.

can we stop referring to the Browns as if the Bills are light years ahead. put them both on the field right now, the browns get the W.

You misunderstood me, I don't think that the Browns are worse, in fact, they were better statistically in a very significant number of relevant team stats last season.  

The big difference between us and them was TOs.  They had a horrendous TO ratio of -28.  To put this into proper perspective, the NFL record for TO ratio is -30, in 1965 by the Steelers.  

Had the Bills had their TOs last season we'd have been 0-16 easily.  Had they had ours I have no doubt that they'd have won a bunch of games too.  Had we had their 41 TOs and they our 16.  Taylor was a huge reason for the lack of our TOs, while he didn't move the offense he didn't throw INTs.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Give them the offseason to fix the offense but I am not keeping my hopes up. The QB situation is laughable this season and it is why I question if they know how to build an offense in today's game. The fact McDermott believes you can win in this league by playing field position and running the ball is a big question mark. 

Beane has already admitted that he screwed the pooch on the QB situation by not bringing in Anderson sooner.....

Not that it would have made a bit of difference......this team is not biult to win this year...they are riding out the season, hoping to get Allen some meaningful playing time......and KB probably gets jettisoned in the offseason along with other starters on offense

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

It might be a question mark for some.  

For me, it's more like an exclamation point. 

As in an emphatic, crystal clear, exclamatory sentence which says "I don't know what the F. I am doing!"

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I will say it again......

THis team is not (imo) trying to go 8 and 8 again for the millionth time.....the frustration you are feeling is being a mediocre team that wins just enough games to miss out on blue chip draft picks while still not making the playoffs......once again imo THAT is the frustration you are feeling.....

This team has not been 3 and 13 bad.....THAT is actually part of the problem

The bills are doing something different.....they need to be given the chance to find out if it actually works for them.  You are taking all the different front offices and rounding them into one big beating....they are not......this particular group has had TWO YEARS (one of them making the playoffs)

Teams go 3-13, 2-14 every year - no big deal. Teams don't have the worst offense in NFL history every year. So I think it's totally fair to be upset about that. And one of my concerns is that even a huge jump on offense next year will only take us to about 31st in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1