Here we go again - McDermott's choice of Peterman defines his coaching tenure

Very simply McDermott & this staff lost me in 2017 when they started dismantling the team in the pre-season.  I am no draft geek or understand schemes and the details.  I watch the game with my two eyes and wanted to see a better passing game and improved D in 2017.  Then the Bills started trading players in skill positions with recognizable names.  I was really upset with the Watkins trade in this was borne out based on just how anemic the passing game was and the fact the Offense was putrid and unimaginative.  

I didn't know Nathan Peterman from a hole in the wall and couldn't care less about the 5th round draft pick as the Bills back-up.

Then came the LAC debacle and McD's defense of the decision and the disaster it was.  

If not for injuries/concussions, I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen Peterman start the playoff game (shade of Rob Johnson). 

They then draft their franchise QB in Allen (again knew the name and the details, but little else) and excited as to the future, but still worried about the offense and whether the staff & FO learned anything from 2017.

They sign AJ McCarron and I wonder why another 5th round back-up with all of 3 NFL games and even I wonder how is this so different from Peterman.

I then wondered if this was simply so that there was another QB in camp that Peterman could beat out and be named the starter so that he could redeem himself as a competent starting QB and McD be vindicated for the mockery of the decison to start him vs. the Chargers.  

Yes I was right and they traded AJ and Peterman was the starter, same as Bradford in Arizona & TT in Cleveland.  Bridgewater was traded so that if Darnold struggled there was a "real" vereran behind him and not someone like Bridgewater competing to start.  

So yes it all comes back to Peterman and McDermott's (who drafted him as Beane wasn't there) dogged defense of him and wanting him to succeed that has this team in such disarray.    

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

Nice post, but...

It has nothing to do with the coaching.

It has everything to do with the incompetent owners Terry & Kim Pegula.  After McDermott is gone the Pegulas will just hire another McDermott type coach.  

:thumbdown:

Yep, just like McDermott was a Rex type coach. :rolleyes:

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Very simply McDermott & this staff lost me in 2017 when they started dismantling the team in the pre-season.  I am no draft geek or understand schemes and the details.  I watch the game with my two eyes and wanted to see a better passing game and improved D in 2017.  Then the Bills started trading players in skill positions with recognizable names.  I was really upset with the Watkins trade in this was borne out based on just how anemic the passing game was and the fact the Offense was putrid and unimaginative.  

I didn't know Nathan Peterman from a hole in the wall and couldn't care less about the 5th round draft pick as the Bills back-up.

Then came the LAC debacle and McD's defense of the decision and the disaster it was.  

If not for injuries/concussions, I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen Peterman start the playoff game (shade of Rob Johnson). 

They then draft their franchise QB in Allen (again knew the name and the details, but little else) and excited as to the future, but still worried about the offense and whether the staff & FO learned anything from 2017.

They sign AJ McCarron and I wonder why another 5th round back-up with all of 3 NFL games and even I wonder how is this so different from Peterman.

I then wondered if this was simply so that there was another QB in camp that Peterman could beat out and be named the starter so that he could redeem himself as a competent starting QB and McD be vindicated for the mockery of the decison to start him vs. the Chargers.  

Yes I was right and they traded AJ and Peterman was the starter, same as Bradford in Arizona & TT in Cleveland.  Bridgewater was traded so that if Darnold struggled there was a "real" vereran behind him and not someone like Bridgewater competing to start.  

So yes it all comes back to Peterman and McDermott's (who drafted him as Beane wasn't there) dogged defense of him and wanting him to succeed that has this team in such disarray.    

Here we go again with the same old temper tantrum and tired post!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The team has been in disarray for DECADES due to bad GM's and horrible drafting.  2 number 1 picks for Sammy Watkins, Aaron Maybin, EJ Manuel, CJ Spiller, JP Losman (and a lost pick in 2005 to get him) Marcell Dareus, John McCargo Mike Williams, Eric Flowers, etc, etc, etc.  You don't draft well your team is going to suck.  

The overall lack of talent on offense is killing this team.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

Peterman is the choice right now.  IMO they should have cut him weeks ago and brought in someone more capable behind Anderson when he was playing.  

Peterman is not a NFL caliber QB. He's not a back up caliber QB.  He's a nice guy who the team feels for but just can't hack it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yep another thread & explained that in the title.  This is why the Bills are in disarray.....  They hired a HC who is incompetent wrt the Offense, made bad hires on that side of the ball and compounded it with his 5th round wonderkid who he trots out again and again and brought in no one to mentor/help Allen.

As for Watkins, they made the pick, he may not have been the right one at #4, but put up good #'s based on his limited targets and was healthy going into 2017 on an offense that needed receivers and a more dynamic pass game and they gave him away for almost nothing in return.

And again I will freely admit I want another clunker from Peterman as the sooner they figure out the mess the HC put us in, the quicker the Bills can rebuild.

Again I just saw that Peterman poll and 50% are supporters of him (more then 2X's as many then want him gone).  I can only imagine that those 77 are those that support "THE PROCESS" & McClappy...... 

Edited by Billsfan1972

Maybe McDermott and Beane will set the franchise back with bad personnel decisions.  Maybe we don't win another game this year. Or MAYBE we are building a solid foundation for a team that will compete on a regular basis.  We have a rookie QB on the roster with all kinds of potential, a very well coached defense and all kinds of draft picks and cap space to address the offense in the off season. 

If you don't want to be patient and give these guys a chance, that's your choice. But for GODS SAKE IT HAS ONLY BEEN A SEASON AND A HALF AND WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR! If next season comes and we are this awful again, fine, maybe change should happen but c'mon lets give them a chance!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Maybe McDermott and Beane will set the franchise back with bad personnel decisions.  Maybe we don't win another game this year. Or MAYBE we are building a solid foundation for a team that will compete on a regular basis.  We have a rookie QB on the roster with all kinds of potential, a very well coached defense and all kinds of draft picks and cap space to address the offense in the off season. 

If you don't want to be patient and give these guys a chance, that's your choice. But for GODS SAKE IT HAS ONLY BEEN A SEASON AND A HALF AND WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR! If next season comes and we are this awful again, fine, maybe change should happen but c'mon lets give them a chance!

The Bills were 9-7 last year and this pretty much is where they were pretty much exactly the same in 2014-2016 (+/- 1 game) and the coaches didn't last.......  

You know you are going to read a fire post when it starts with "I don't know anything about football, but I watch the game with my own two eyes" 

a/k/a

"I don't know what I'm talking about but that isn't going to stop me from talking about it"  

Similar to, "I know science tells me the earth is round, but thats not what my own two eyes tell me!"

Gotta love the internet. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yep, just like McDermott was a Rex type coach. :rolleyes:

There is a similarity- Both are defensive minded coaches. In todays NFL, I tend to think you want on offensive guru as your HC but if you are going to hire a DC as a HC then it would be wise to have a franchise QB with a top OC. I know, easier said than done, right? 

I don't really think he's "picking" Peterman in this case. Everybody else is hurt. 

I'm not going to excuse him for picking him last year over Tyrod, or week 1 over Josh and AJ. 

But in this case, who else was he supposed to pick?

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

most teams build off of the playoffs...we tore it down and back to the bottom of the league