If you had a buddy who abandoned the Bills

and switched allegiance to another team could you still tailgate with that person?  Someone who I have tailgated with in the past has talked about 2019 being the year that the Bills must show improvement or he's ditching them for whatever front runner has the best unifirms.

My answer was no.  I could still share a beer with him occasionally, but tailgating would be out of the question.  There is something about the bond shared by tailgating that would prevent me from allowing him to join the group. I just have a feeling that he would spend the entire time rubbing our noses in to being sorry Bills fans.  The guy is very petty to begin with and I just know he wouldn't be a gracious winner or loser.

Am I being unreasonable?

• Haha (+1) 1

I would not walk away from a good friend over something as inconsequential as what football team he follows anymore than I would refuse to be friends with a Giants fan. I mean, it's not like being a Dolphins fan, I do have some standards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

It is a game. Allowing it to affect your relationships or anything in your life in an adverse way is, to say the least, unhealthy. 

based on your user name I'd guess that you are too young to understand the anguish I have gone through with this team.

I could still share a beer with the guy, but tailgating would be a definite "no!" That ground is sacred.

Haha oh the irony. Yes, yes are. The Bills are terrible. I used to care and give people a hard time for switching up, but now I just do some serious  self reflection. I used to just think I was just loyal to a fault, but now I'm not so sure...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

As a fan that lived through the early 80's I would say to that friend  " Suck it up Buttercup"

This team has been a whole lot worse than this.

I have been there & zero for the 70's was probably worse to me.

This guy is significantly younger than I am. Maybe that's part of the reason why.

1 minute ago, 87168 said:

Haha oh the irony. Yes, yes are. The Bills are terrible. I used to care and give people a hard time for switching up, but now I just do some serious  self reflection. I used to just think I was just loyal to a fault, but now I'm not so sure...

Of course the Bills are turble, they are the Bills.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

based on your user name I'd guess that you are too young to understand the anguish I have gone through with this team.

I could still share a beer with the guy, but tailgating would be a definite "no!" That ground is sacred.

I attended my first game in 1968. I have an adult son who is also an avid fan of the Bills and we talk after every game. In addition I have a grandson who is just beginning his love affair with the Bills. I have been through every low this team has had. I stand by what I said. It is a game. It can create strong emotions as with any passion. However, if you are allowing it to adversely affect your life or relationships, then you need to find a better way of managing a balance between your passion for the team and the rest of your life. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I attended my first game in 1968. I have an adult son who is also an avid fan of the Bills and we talk after every game. In addition I have a grandson who is just beginning his love affair with the Bills. I have been through every low this team has had. I stand by what I said. It is a game. It can create strong emotions as with any passion. However, if you are allowing it to adversely affect your life or relationships, then you need to find a better way of managing a balance between your passion for the team and the rest of your life. 

Apparently you and I are the same person! Which was your first game? Do you remember the opponent.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I have been there & zero for the 70's was probably worse to me.

This guy is significantly younger than I am. Maybe that's part of the reason why.

I was just a teenager then and didn't really follow football to busy chasing girls and messing with old cars ;) 

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Every now and then an adult posts some real common sense; thank you billsfan1959 from another old timer!

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Apparently you and I are the same person! Which was your first game? Do you remember the opponent.

September 1966, home opener Chiefs crushed Bills 42 - 20, very bad day for a fifth grader

January 1, 1967 first Championship to see who goes to the SB: Chiefs crush Bills 31 - 7!

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It is a game. Allowing it to affect your relationships or anything in your life in an adverse way is, to say the least, unhealthy. 

not really

someone who would ditch their team to chase after another isn't someone i want to watch Bills game with

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 87168 said:

Stockholm syndrome or something like that. ;) 

Maybe Rick Azar subliminally brainwashed us. ;) 

Or Clip smith ;)

Edited by JMF2006

12 minutes ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

My son and grandson are both Dolphins fans.  It doesn't affect our relationship at all.  I root for the Dolphins to win when they don't play the Bills and they support the Bills as well in other games.  We both have mutual hatred for the Pats and he lives in Boston.

I'd divorce my son.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, vorpma said:

September 1966, home opener Chiefs crushed Bills 42 - 20, very bad day for a fifth grader

January 1, 1967 first Championship to see who goes to the SB: Chiefs crush Bills 31 - 7!

Mine was 1969...Chiefs with Len Dawson and Mike Garrett. It was drizzling and I couldn’t have cared less. I can still remember all the kids chasing down loose balls after field goals in the open end zone.

• Like (+1) 1