This entire, miserable season revolves around 1 player

PUNT750

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Yikes.  

Watching Anderson just confirms how incredibly hard it is to play QB and that Allen can handle the job.  

We agree on it's hard to play QB. I don't agree that Allen has looked better, at all. Can someone please show me what I'm missing? The offense at least moves the ball with Anderson

12 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

We agree on it's hard to play QB. I don't agree that Allen has looked better, at all. Can someone please show me what I'm missing? The offense at least moves the ball with Anderson

May move the ball, but what's the point if you still can't score points? To me that's what matters most. I guess that would make him look a little bit better, but bottom line is they can't score points so all of them suck right now (which I'm sure most agree).

I also agree that Allen has not looked better than Anderson, but however am willing to give him more time to see how it plays out. Would still rather watch Allen when he is healthy than Anderson or of course Petermen.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

May move the ball, but what's the point if you still can't score points? To me that's what matters most. I guess that would make him look a little bit better, but bottom line is they can't score points so all of them suck right now (which I'm sure most agree).

I also agree that Allen has not looked better but however am willing to give him more time to see how it plays out. Would still rather watch Allen when he is healthy than Anderson or of course Petermen.

I definitely want to see Allen. I want to be wrong. I really can't disagree or say anything different with that post.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm not going deeper. And I don't say there's proof ... either way. How could there be? But are some of these guys likely bad case studies on how to ruin a QB? Yeah.

christ I've wasted my entire morning on TBD. It's an honest to god addiction. I'm slammed with work and logging out.

There's no proof either way, we both raised our points and opinions, and I was just pointing out I was absolutely doing no straw man argument in a 30 minute long writeup. I'll just put it this way: we're looking for one of the top 10 guys in the world at their profession. Of COURSE it's wishful thinking Allen doesn't get ruined, as it is he becomes a great quarterback. Would you rather draft David Carr who is ruined after being sacked to oblivion in a terrible offense to the point of no return? Or draft a bizarro version of David Carr who is sacked to oblivion in a terrible offense and turns it around when the GM finally comes around, gives him help and has an MVP season. There are human beings capable of that, and when we draft JA to this dreadful offense, I want him to never be irredeemable and handle adversity. 

We're talking about the most difficult mental toughness required in all of professional sports.. we have to draft all the qualities that best equip a quarterback. Maybe Carr would have been amazing being drafted on the Cowboys, but he still lacks an intangible this team sort of needs given the situation Beane's got him in.

Tennis players have similar trajectories.. tough mental sport. Andre Agassi almost never lived up to his early career potential, began to get overshadowed by Pete Sampras, but persevered and made a legacy of himself even when his biggest obstacle was another American! at the exact same age! who was the best tennis player ever at that point in time! Agassi eventually could say he was better than Sampras for part of his career.

You mention Rich Gannon.. That's exactly who I want drafted. He got his MVP year when he got what he needed, maybe lost confidence at points in his career, but he didn't get ruined, he got squandered until he proved his worth when he was given the right pieces. I want JA to be a Rich Gannon MVP version by age 30 instead with a GM that's actively working to give him what Rich Gannon needed his entire career,

13 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

AJ McCarron.

Remember him?  Everyone was so happy when he signed with the Bills.  AJ would start with Josh and Nate as back-ups.  Plus, his wife was a well known model. Cool?

I was as naive as the Bills coaching staff.  He started 3 games in his 4 year career with the Bengals.  I assumed he was a quality QB backing up Andy Dalton.  Why wouldn't he be?

He flopped all through training camp.  He showed nothing in pre-season games.  The Bills Management plan for our QB's died right there.

Sad that an NFL franchise has to crumble for one bad choice in the off-season.  Very Sad!

AJ McCarron was never a proven or experienced veteran. He was the wrong target. If your intention was to have Josh learn behind a decent backup you should've spent a little more draft capital on a Bridgewater,  Foles, McCown or even Fitz. This season's mentor program for Josh has been a cluster @#$%.....

12 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I mean... wow so you're blaming McCarron for this season.

That is amazing. Part of this fanbase goes to amazing measures to give the people at fault a pass.

That's a new one, I'm going to start blaming players not on the Bills for the Bills problems.

Maybe Brown is more at fault than McCarron.

As tired as the point is, I think that would make a better point.

He's blaming a back up QB for playing like a back up QB when they signed him.

So the funny thing about that is our WR corps would be infinitely better off with him accepting that 3 yr deal. Not his fault, but he did have the choice - people can be angry with him for making the right choice.

Just hate that those stories then get published - not like we need the national media attention of how no one wants to play here and how we have to overpay every FA we bring in just to have positive net gains on player flow.

Edited by ctk232

14 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

That's part of the blame, but there is so much more that AJ sucking.

Add:

Trying to screw over Richie and watching him fall off the cliff.

Woods neck - No one saw it coming. 

Keeping Peterman than starting him.

Not picking up any quality WR's. 

Hiring Daboll

Add it all up and we have a sh^t show.

BillsRdue, I am having a hard time trying to find just another single factor to add to your list!! good job!! seriously can I just copy paste it and share outside of here? thanks for your quality pst in a pood quality topic from OP....

Edited by BuffaLoko
spell
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

AJ McCarron.

Remember him?  Everyone was so happy when he signed with the Bills.  AJ would start with Josh and Nate as back-ups.  Plus, his wife was a well known model. Cool?

I was as naive as the Bills coaching staff.  He started 3 games in his 4 year career with the Bengals.  I assumed he was a quality QB backing up Andy Dalton.  Why wouldn't he be?

He flopped all through training camp.  He showed nothing in pre-season games.  The Bills Management plan for our QB's died right there.

Sad that an NFL franchise has to crumble for one bad choice in the off-season.  Very Sad!

If you want to conveniently blame 1 person, blame McDermott.

His collective decisions over the last few years, including the QB situation, have had a far greater impact on the team this year than freaking AJ McCarron!

15 hours ago, Idandria said:

He was a flop in camp. He’d probably be slightly better than what we’ve seen from Derek Anderson. To think he would have saved the season is pretty naive. We should have kept Tyrod if anything. 

Flop is a strong word in my opinion. AJ wasn't bad in training camp he was just outshined by Peterman and Allen made more wow plays with that cannon he has (Allen also made more questionable plays.) Even if you wanted to argue that a 5th for AJ was simply too good to pass up there was tremendous idiocy in not signing another veteran right after the AJ trade. 

I have a small problem with your opinion of AJ & i know after i explain what you & others may say but here it goes !

First AJ was playing behind a unproven O line in a new offensive scheme & because the constancy & continuity wasn't there while AJ was under center he was under constant pressure then throw in the fact that he was working with a WR corp that TO could come back at 44 & humiliate the entire bunch of them didn't help him either !

My last point is AJ's last game the Bills 4th preseason game ! He with his leadership took a bunch of players deemed not good enough to make the roster that were cut took those guys & basically willed them to come from behind & win that game, okay they did it against another team that was playing with throw away players but the bottom line is he willed those players to win & that is leadership !

The guy never gives up no matter the odds he's up against in his mind it's not over until it's over & with that mentality & his leadership I would have liked to see him with this offense after the Petermen thing went down & with the O line coming together even though it's not a lot better it is better & i think he could have been a plus in a season that has had a lot of let downs but now we will never know !! 

• Like (+1) 1