Would You Give Up Our 1st in 2019 & 2020 for Derek Carr?

7 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Is this like with Osweiler, they send us 2 1sts to unload the contact?

I’m good with that. Take the picks for someone else’s money (sorry Pegs), unless Gruden is to coach our team in any way.Then I’m out! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This guy must be an Oakland fan or perhaps Gruden himself.

Schefter probably blocked his number trying to leak ridiculous trade proposals.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

What a way to take a dump on the players he already has.  "The guys you really want to play for the team"

He's gone Gregg Williams. I'll tell you this, the Greg's always look down on Gregg's with two G's in the name kingdom.

That's just how it works and Gregg with two G's has always been clearly compensating for having that second G. His parents were compensating before birth.

2 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

He will be 28 by the 2019 opener. Entering his prime years. He has a great arm and can run a bit too.

Thoughts?

As much as I like Carr, I wouldn't.

If we hadn't already dumped 2 draft's worth of maneuvering & picks into Allen I'd say yes. But seeing as how we are going to be a top 5 pick barring a miracle, I'd rather just draft another QB straight up & keep the rest of the picks.

But if there's one thing we know about coaches it's that they will double down over & over rather than attempt to hedge their bets (when it comes to first round QB's they've drafted).

Hell, I'd be happy if they drafted a QB every draft at this point. Anything to increase the odds that we luck into our franchise guy one day.

4 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

As much as I like Carr, I wouldn't.

If we hadn't already dumped 2 draft's worth of maneuvering & picks into Allen I'd say yes. But seeing as how we are going to be a top 5 pick barring a miracle, I'd rather just draft another QB straight up & keep the rest of the picks.

But if there's one thing we know about coaches it's that they will double down over & over rather than attempt to hedge their bets (when it comes to first round QB's they've drafted).

Hell, I'd be happy if they drafted a QB every draft at this point. Anything to increase the odds that we luck into our franchise guy one day.

I'm not opposed to it in theory. But you know, no chance they draft a QB in the first round next year? I don't mean that condescendingly or anything, it just won't happen. 

Btw great name and avatar. I don't know if I've ever complimented you on it, but I always laugh when I see Big Dingus.

13 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not opposed to it in theory. But you know, no chance they draft a QB in the first round next year? I don't mean that condescendingly or anything, it just won't happen. 

Btw great name and avatar. I don't know if I've ever complimented you on it, but I always laugh when I see Big Dingus.

? I appreciate it. Been using this avatar for ages now (love Butters/Professor Chaos)! 

And yeah, I know there's no way we'd draft a QB in round 1 next season. That's why I think McDermott will just double down on Allen instead of hedging his bets. 

I'm not saying it's wrong to try to surround your young QB with good skill position players, but usually it comes at the expense of the line, and nothing really changes. It also rarely works out that some high profile WR or RB just comes in & elevates our QB to some great level. And whether it's Marshawn Lynch, Lee Evans, Willis McGahee, CJ Spiller, Sammy Watkins, etc. it doesn't mean a damn thing if the QB isn't good and/or the line can't protect for s***.

Just once, I'd like to see us spend several high picks on O-linemen, pay some good money on some FA linemen, and just build from there. At least our crappy QB's will have some time to throw, & our usually pretty talented RB's will have some production.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BigDingus said:

? I appreciate it. Been using this avatar for ages now (love Butters/Professor Chaos)! 

And yeah, I know there's no way we'd draft a QB in round 1 next season. That's why I think McDermott will just double down on Allen instead of hedging his bets. 

I'm not saying it's wrong to try to surround your young QB with good skill position players, but usually it comes at the expense of the line, and nothing really changes. It also rarely works out that some high profile WR or RB just comes in & elevates our QB to some great level. And whether it's Marshawn Lynch, Lee Evans, Willis McGahee, CJ Spiller, Sammy Watkins, etc. it doesn't mean a damn thing if the QB isn't good and/or the line can't protect for s***.

Just once, I'd like to see us spend several high picks on O-linemen, pay some good money on some FA linemen, and just build from there. At least our crappy QB's will have some time to throw, & our usually pretty talented RB's will have some production.

I understand your point. Completely in agreement to an extent. They've spent on the Oline I believe Marv did it when they wheeled his old ass out as GM on Dockery and some other bum. Good Olinemen hit the market with out extenuating circumstances. You've gotta hit on them in the draft, which makes the Glenn trade maddening to me. So I think your point about drafting them high is the way to go.

I also remember Mike William's. They've tried it all, it really is a crapshoot once you have the right mentality in place. That's where I'm concerned.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I understand your point. Completely in agreement to an extent. They've spent on the Oline I believe Marv did it when they wheeled his old ass out as GM on Dockery and some other bum. Good Olinemen hit the market with out extenuating circumstances. You've gotta hit on them in the draft, which makes the Glenn trade maddening to me. So I think your point about drafting them high is the way to go.

I also remember Mike William's. They've tried it all, it really is a crapshoot once you have the right mentality in place. That's where I'm concerned.

Mike Williams was so long ago, as was Dockery. They go for 1 guy every now & then, but ultimately rely on hand-me-downs, journeymen & late round guys they hope turn out. 

We had a pretty decent run-blocking O-line for a while, but it's never very balanced. O-line is one of those positions where I always feel like you can afford to invest in & improve. The year we went & got Levitre & Woods really seemed like we were heading that way. We weren't planning ahead though in recent years.... as we relied on an old (but playing well) Incognito who we were paying on the cheap, then ran into bad luck with Woods.

Then we trade our LT out of all positions, and you see what we really have invested lately with what remained. We were content tredding water, and never wanted to fortify the group. We could've easily invested in another guard the past several years, signed an above average RT to balance the other side of the line. Every year I keep thinking they'll finally decide to draft a beast O-linemen that'll anchor our unit for years to come... the next Joe Thomas or Zach Martin or Alex Mack. It just seems that'll never be the case though.

• Like (+1) 1

They could very well cut Carr after this season as his dead cap goes from $32.4 million this season to just $7.5 million next year.  They'd save 15 million in cap space next year.  Then Jon Gruden could pick his guy in the upcoming draft which wouldn't surprise me at this point.

He'd gain a lot of interest as a free agent and I can see the Giants being an attractive options with Barkley and Beckham Jr. on the roster.  I could see the Broncos pushing for him to.  Possibly the Jaguars.

• Like (+1) 1