McD - Allen isn't too far off in throwing again

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Another stat would be interceptions Allen despite playing in 5/8(half in Baltimore and half in Houston) has only 1 more interception than Peterman at maybe 1 game and Anderson at 2.

He has more TD’s, don’t forget the 3 rushing touchdowns also.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

More 80 yard passing games!!!

But we might score a TD.  Something we haven't done with a couple of 250 yard plus passing games! 

Also, Allen did lead the team to two opening drive TD's (against TN & Minnesota) something we haven't seen since the big improvement in passing yards the last 2 games. 

19 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I would suggest it is exactly the opposite.

Especially in a completely wasted season, which this one is and was as of Week 1.

I can agree to disagree. I want my rookie QB to win as many games as he can.  If allen is out for the year, I’m more inclined to agree with you.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Chicago is the best example because Trubisky is a virtual Allen clone.

The fact that they've been able to maximize his game while masking his limitations is encouraging, although I don't see it happening here unless there's a drastic change in coaching/scheme.

Part of his success is they gave that kids some weapons in the offseason. Bills should take the same approach.

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Picking in the middle of the pack keeps you right where we have been. 2-3 more wins this year does nothing for this team, not one thing. The fact is we have no talent on offense and only 30% of our cap has been spent on it this season; 5th lowest in the league. This year is a lost year, a planned one at that, and right now we have the 4th pick in the draft - don't mess that up.

If we were just a little worse last year, we could have kept some picks instead of moving up and in the long run I would have taken that all day long. We could have stayed put and drafted Allen, still moved up for Edmunds and been in a position to grab Billy Price, Nick Chubb, Christian Kirk. I would take that all day long over a one and done in Jax as we would be much further along than today....

Read my above post.

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Picking in the middle of the pack keeps you right where we have been. 2-3 more wins this year does nothing for this team, not one thing. The fact is we have no talent on offense and only 30% of our cap has been spent on it this season; 5th lowest in the league. This year is a lost year, a planned one at that, and right now we have the 4th pick in the draft - don't mess that up.

If we were just a little worse last year, we could have kept some picks instead of moving up and in the long run I would have taken that all day long. We could have stayed put and drafted Allen, still moved up for Edmunds and been in a position to grab Billy Price, Nick Chubb, Christian Kirk. I would take that all day long over a one and done in Jax as we would be much further along than today....

As previously posted:

We can agree to disagree. I want my rookie QB to win as many games as he can.  If allen is out for the year, I’m more inclined to agree with you.  

In most years, I’m saying exactly what you posted. This year, it’s different.  Josh allen hasn’t been a big winner or stat guy.  Just a big piece of meat that has all the potential in the world but has only made a handful of plays and has been wildly inconsistent.  He needs to show he can win games on his arm

and leadership. He didn’t do it much in college.  

As as far as our draft pick goes, I think Beane is going to do something good, just as he did last year.  If he trades down to 27 and drafts another pro bowler, I wouldn’t be surprised.  He’s going to get us talent in next year’s draft.  This year’s draft has looked very good.  Last year’s draft looks very good.  Picking an extra 7-10 picks higher isn’t going to make or break our team.  Josh Allen winning games can.  Period

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

#Bills coach Sean McDermott says he doesn’t think “it’s too far off,” in regards to Josh Allen throwing again.

Im thinking the week after the bye might be the most logical place for him start.  Maybe the week after.  Schedule actually gets a bit easier

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I think I need the reps more than him. At this point I'm drafting a QB top 5 next year unless he shows something other than running. 

I would definitely take another qb next year. I dont know if we can afford to in the first round but rd 2-4 absolutely! We need to grab one in FA also.

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

#Bills coach Sean McDermott says he doesn’t think “it’s too far off,” in regards to Josh Allen throwing again.

Don't believe anything McDermott says

2 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

can we please define "too far off"?

It means next year is the next time you will see him.  He's done

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Chicago is the best example because Trubisky is a virtual Allen clone.

The fact that they've been able to maximize his game while masking his limitations is encouraging, although I don't see it happening here unless there's a drastic change in coaching/scheme.

Trubiski was good in college, not a clone

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

My bright plan would be draft the best QB available with our 1st. Draft offense after that. Sign offense in free agency. 

Josh Allen starts next season, rookie sits the year learning. That gives us 2 years to find out about Allen. If Allen is good then we trade the other QB. If Allen fails to show progress year 2 we move on. 

So what happens if that QB is not up to your standards?  Do you draft another QB again? and again?  Destroy your salary cap with first round QBs?  Yeah, that's smart.

2 hours ago, billspro said:

I think he will start throwing during the bye, just guessing. We should have him after the Jacksonville game IMO.

Not to be the wet towel/pessimist here, but he did say "no too far off from throwing" - but throwing doesn't equate to being ready to play again. Given that Beane publically didn't rule out the possibility of Allen being out for the season when asked, they could still very well have him "throw" the rest of the season, but just in practice and let him sit.

The only things preventing me from saying this will happen is that 1) the season is all but over and Allen could use this time to develop without the added pressure of having to win out the rest of the season; and 2) the utter mutiny that will occur from posters on this board if we weren't to play him again this season. I get wanting him to get back into game exposure, but pretty sure they also don't want to rush their future job security back into games too soon.

Either way, since the thread devolved into another "what to do about allen and the QB situation" - it's not like it matters.

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Im thinking the week after the bye might be the most logical place for him start.  Maybe the week after.  Schedule actually gets a bit easier

Meh. I don't think this team is gonna be ready for AT LEAST a few years. I think we should just wait until we have all pro's at every position before we send poor Josh out there. We need to protect our investment as long as possible.

I'm targeting 2024. 

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Trubiski was good in college, not a clone

You kind of picked the wrong person if you expect me to defend Josh Allen.

35 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't want to see us win our way out of a great draft pick, but you never know what you are going to get.  The benefit may not be as great as you think.

Last time we had a high pick we took Dareus at No. 3 overall.

In the end, that didn't really do squat for this team.

And this administration is NOT going to take a QB.  So the value of the pick is not what it should be this year.

What you hope is that your evaluators are able to identify talent correctly so you end up with AJ Green, Julio, Patrick Peterson, or the guy who I wanted us to take, JJ, and you draft talent and not to fill holes.

DT was a hole when Stroud was cut and we had those great ends of Kelsay & Dwan Edwards; we needed someone to pair up with Kyle. This move caused us to spend $100 million in the following offseason for Mario. This was short-term thinking in filling a gap in the roster for the upcoming season instead of looking at a long-term picture. 

Yes Marcel had a good draft report, but IIRC he was a rotational player and there were questions regarding his ability to hold up over the course of a season and he was suspended for making a poor choice in taking money from an agent. He was also drafted to fill a hole. JJ had an amazing combine and you could see how explosive he was (I obviously am leaving Von Miller and Cam out), we chose poorly that draft.

The benefit to possibly be in the running for Bosa or even Oliver makes it easy for me to not worry about winning a couple meaningless games this season. NYG need a QB, SF, ARZ, us and OAK could use BPA aside from QB (unless Carr is traded). I want us to have a shot at the best talent available with as many names on the board as possible this season.

Trade value is going to be really low this year unless Herbert declares as of now it's him, Bosa, & Oliver. I do like AJ Brown, Greg Little as well. Josh Allen would be decent if he is there and we are in the 6-10 range. JMO...