McD - Allen isn't too far off in throwing again

Reed83HOF

19 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's an impractical way to find and develop a QB with the way the CBA restricts offseason time at the team facility and practice even reps during the season.  The better plan is to invest in the supporting cast to make the players around him as good as possible just as PHI, KC, LAR, and CHI have done with their young QBs. 

Well no one has ever drafted back to back top 10 QBs. So there is no example, at least that I can remember. 

Building around a QB only works if you draft the right QB. 

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

Well no one has ever drafted back to back top 10 QBs. So there is no example, at least that I can remember. 

Building around a QB only works if you draft the right QB. 

They obviously believe they have done just that. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He'll still have a chance to develop. He's signed 3 more years. 

Then he needs to get all the reps as #1, not some half baked competition.  This is the price for drafting a QB.  They need the time and the reps, and if it does not work out it sets you back.  Giving him half a year this year, with an injury thrown in the middle, and minimum reps during the training camp because of this year's idiotic three way competition, is not going to yield a yes or no answer no matter what happens the rest of this year.  

The Bills have many other holes to address with a top 5 pick, if that is where they end up.  Fix the OL, add some skill position players, and see what he can do with a full year as unquestioned number 1.

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Would you rather suck or have josh Allen come in, play well and along with a stingy defense we win 5 out of the last 6 or 7? 

I would rather have Allen come back after the bye, be a bit more polished with his footwork, better poise and movement in the pocket and have a better understanding of what coverages he is seeing. Winning 5 out of the last 6 or 7 doesn't do a lot for me; frankly the higher the pick, the better - we need elite talent. 

55 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Good, hope to see him get some more playing experience soon. Hopefully some improvement and WR improvement (wishful thinking).

Not that far fetched. WR will be better with Pryor over Holmes. Zay is coming on and KB has the capacity if somehow motivated (You'd think an impending contract for 2019 would do that.) Phillips is showing improvement. As long as the OL holds up, we'll see if Daboll can right the ship.

39 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

The Cleveland Browns never did that. 

So if there is a QB you like next year in the top 5 you pass on him without seeing Allen do anything through the air? 

I'm down to take another QB - if theres a like really solid prospect at another position it'd give me pause though.  I absolutely want to draft someone in the middle rounds though.  Petermans got to go, and i think with someone raw like allen we could use a 3rd QB anyway.  I know it's tricky with the reps though.

4 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Then he needs to get all the reps as #1, not some half baked competition.  This is the price for drafting a QB.  They need the time and the reps, and if it does not work out it sets you back.  Giving him half a year this year, with an injury thrown in the middle, and minimum reps during the training camp because of this year's idiotic three way competition, is not going to yield a yes or no answer no matter what happens the rest of this year.  

The Bills have many other holes to address with a top 5 pick, if that is where they end up.  Fix the OL, add some skill position players, and see what he can do with a full year as unquestioned number 1.

My bright plan would be draft the best QB available with our 1st. Draft offense after that. Sign offense in free agency. 

Josh Allen starts next season, rookie sits the year learning. That gives us 2 years to find out about Allen. If Allen is good then we trade the other QB. If Allen fails to show progress year 2 we move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's an impractical way to find and develop a QB with the way the CBA restricts offseason time at the team facility and even practice reps during the season.  The better plan is to invest in the supporting cast to make the players around him as good as possible just as PHI, KC, LAR, and CHI have done with their young QBs. 

Chicago is the best example because Trubisky is a virtual Allen clone.

The fact that they've been able to maximize his game while masking his limitations is encouraging, although I don't see it happening here unless there's a drastic change in coaching/scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Chicago is the best example because Trubisky is a virtual Allen clone.

The fact that they've been able to maximize his game while masking his limitations is encouraging, although I don't see it happening here unless there's a drastic change in coaching/scheme.

Exactly the case. No way Beane and McDermott draft another 1st round QB in '19. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I would rather have Allen come back after the bye, be a bit more polished with his footwork, better poise and movement in the pocket and have a better understanding of what coverages he is seeing. Winning 5 out of the last 6 or 7 doesn't do a lot for me; frankly the higher the pick, the better - we need elite talent. 

The better pick is better than showing that this rookie Qb and defense can win games with no offensive playmakers and a bad line?  wanting the better pick is surface level quick fix.  Winning games is something down deep.  I’ll take the wins all day every day.  While we do suck, we aren’t going to get a top 3 pick imo .  We’re better than that with this defense and our schedule is more favorable in the 2nd half of the year.

I’d MUCH rather win some games with Allen behind the helm and a strong d than losing games to get the 5-10 pick.

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

The better pick is better than showing that this rookie Qb and defense can win games with no offensive playmakers and a bad line?  wanting the better pick is surface level quick fix.  Winning games is something down deep.  I’ll take the wins all day every day.  While we do suck, we aren’t going to get a top 3 pick imo .  We’re better than that with this defense.  

I’d MUCH rather win some games with Allen behind the helm and a strong d than losing games to get the 5-10 pick.

I would suggest it is exactly the opposite.

Especially in a completely wasted season, which this one is and was as of Week 1.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The better pick is better than showing that this rookie Qb and defense can win games with no offensive playmakers and a bad line?  wanting the better pick is surface level quick fix.  Winning games is something down deep.  I’ll take the wins all day every day.  While we do suck, we aren’t going to get a top 3 pick imo .  We’re better than that with this defense and our schedule is more favorable in the 2nd half of the year.

Picking in the middle of the pack keeps you right where we have been. 2-3 more wins this year does nothing for this team, not one thing. The fact is we have no talent on offense and only 30% of our cap has been spent on it this season; 5th lowest in the league. This year is a lost year, a planned one at that, and right now we have the 4th pick in the draft - don't mess that up.

If we were just a little worse last year, we could have kept some picks instead of moving up and in the long run I would have taken that all day long. We could have stayed put and drafted Allen, still moved up for Edmunds and been in a position to grab Billy Price, Nick Chubb, Christian Kirk. I would take that all day long over a one and done in Jax as we would be much further along than today....

34 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

My bright plan would be draft the best QB available with our 1st. Draft offense after that. Sign offense in free agency. 

Josh Allen starts next season, rookie sits the year learning. That gives us 2 years to find out about Allen. If Allen is good then we trade the other QB. If Allen fails to show progress year 2 we move on. 

I see your point, but do not agree.  It seems totally distracting to me in practice and a waste of a valuable resource that could either yield a premium player at a need position, or two or more very good players and potential starters in a trade down scenario.  I would not be opposed to the Bills using a later round pick on a promising developmental type to be third string behind (hopefully) a competent veteran to back Allen up. (finally ending the great Peterman experiment) 

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Picking in the middle of the pack keeps you right where we have been. 2-3 more wins this year does nothing for this team, not one thing. The fact is we have no talent on offense and only 30% of our cap has been spent on it this season; 5th lowest in the league. This year is a lost year, a planned one at that, and right now we have the 4th pick in the draft - don't mess that up.

If we were just a little worse last year, we could have kept some picks instead of moving up and in the long run I would have taken that all day long. We could have stayed put and drafted Allen, still moved up for Edmunds and been in a position to grab Billy Price, Nick Chubb, Christian Kirk. I would take that all day long over a one and done in Jax as we would be much further along than today....

I don't want to see us win our way out of a great draft pick, but you never know what you are going to get.  The benefit may not be as great as you think.

Last time we had a high pick we took Dareus at No. 3 overall.

In the end, that didn't really do squat for this team.

And this administration is NOT going to take a QB.  So the value of the pick is not what it should be this year.