One Less Bills Fan....

Chef Jim

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

this reminds of another funny story bout my Dad..he was as cheap as cheap could be. Until i was about 8..we were told Santa brought the tree with him. We would go to bed, then my Mom and Dad would decorate the tree..all in an effort to buy a cheap tree on Christmas Eve. Still makes me laugh what he did to save $10

Can't imagine where they got the energy to do all that stuff at the last minute. 

When I was growing up, there were no artificial trees.  My Mom would never allow the tree to go up till 12/23.  Reason being that it had to last for the 12 days of Christmas.  By January 7th, it was one dry tree.  Never had any issues with that, but in hindsight, it was not very safe to keep it that long. 

One year, we bought the tree, had it in a bucket of water in the unheated garage, when it came time to bring it inside it was frozen in the bucket.  Had to wait a day for it to thaw out.  Very much like the Christmas Story movie.

• Haha (+1) 2

One more quick one @Chef Jim , you might get a kick out of this one. My mom died in 99, dad was 80 but still had an itch for female company and would hit  on anything with a skirt if they were nice to him. So the lady ( about 60 he estimated) at the dry cleaners was always very nice, he asked her out and they went on a few dates..and he kissed her goodnight first date and a little deeper kiss on the second date.

The third date they go to mall to eat, he walks into a department store sees a dress, and tells her he wants to see her in it and buy for her as he really likes it. Problem is, she can't go into the changing rooms cause she is a he..and this is when she decided to tell my dad!!!

Give the old buggar credit, he was 82 and laughed like hell that night when he told me on the phone!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

My Dad had to buy me an electric train for Christmas, I think '49, I would have been 2+ years old.  So every year "Santa" would bring me the train, and when the tree came down, Santa picked it up for "next year"  So the first train was a steam engine freight type.  About 52-53 Lionel introduced a Diesel.  My Dad have to get that for me.  Same deal, Santa bought it, and it went away after the tree came down.  As he was putting the new diesel train up, my Mom asked him, where the steam engine was?   Dad had traded it in for the diesel, without my Mom knowing.  Mom said NO WAY!  Santa does not trade away a child's trains!  So my Dad had to go back any buy the steam engine train back.  Now I had two train sets, and that was fine with me.  A couple of years later, I remarked that I thought a certain coal hopper used to be black, and now it was maroon red?  Mom flashed dad a look, and several years later, I heard the "rest of the story."

RIP to your Dad!  All Dad's are special, and most people think theirs is the most special of all.

Just out of curiosity, South Buffalo's Spoonley the trainman?

My condolences Chef Jim.  I lost my father in 2003.

When I was a really little kid, my dad took me to the children's public swimming pool where the T of Tonawanda aquatic and fitness center now is on Sheridan Drive.  He wanted me to get over the fear of going down the slide, and bribed me to do it with the promise of a cap gun I wanted!  (LOL).

So I walked up the ladder no problem, sat at the top, and he was telling me "You can do it" and all that...I was super scared, chickened out, and came back down the ladder. LOL!

He laughed and said "maybe next time," and bought me the gun on the ride home anyway.

2 hours ago, bills_fan said:

My condolences Jim.  May he RIP.  Its terrific you had as much time as you did and that he was able to enjoy skiing until he was 89.  Gives me hope that I enjoy it that long.

Per your request...

Year was 1996 and I had just turned 21.  I went with my Dad when I was on home for break to a place I had never been...the old Boston Hotel in Boston, NY.  On this particular night it was 99 cents a dozen for clams, oysters and other nibbles but we were there for the clams and oysters.  We started with two dozen each of raw clams, raw oysters and steamed clams and ice cold pitcher of Labatts Blue.  It was the first time I was drinking in a pub with my Dad.  We were scarfing down plenty of clams and oysters and enjoying ice cold beer.  This was great!  We ended up polishing off 16 dozen total and washing it down with a couple pitchers.  Was a terrific memory for me because it felt like we crossed a line...a very good line together.

16 dozen!!  That's the difference between you and your dad and me and mine.  We would have downed two dozen oysters/clams and 16 pitchers of beer! 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

And no I don't need any advice.  I've already looked behind the couch. 

In lieu of prayers and sympathy please add your favorite anecdote about your dad.  I'll start

my dad made me shovel manure every spring into the 30 by 30 foot garden

so screw you.   

(is that what you wanted?) 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

One more quick one @Chef Jim , you might get a kick out of this one. My mom died in 99, dad was 80 but still had an itch for female company and would hit  on anything with a skirt if they were nice to him. So the lady ( about 60 he estimated) at the dry cleaners was always very nice, he asked her out and they went on a few dates..and he kissed her goodnight first date and a little deeper kiss on the second date.

The third date they go to mall to eat, he walks into a department store sees a dress, and tells her he wants to see her in it and buy for her as he really likes it. Problem is, she can't go into the changing rooms cause she is a he..and this is when she decided to tell my dad!!!

Give the old buggar credit, he was 82 and laughed like hell that night when he told me on the phone!!!

Holy *****!!   BTW my dad, at 89, still had an eye for the ladies.  He had a younger lady friend the last several years of his life.  I absolutely inherited the horn dog gene.  

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

my dad made me shovel manure every spring into the 30 by 30 foot garden

so screw you.   

(is that what you wanted?) 

Hey it's not my fault your dad reminds you of sh*t.  

• Like (+1) 1

Godspeed to your dad Jim.

My dad took me on one of his business trips to Cleveland and Detroit when I was in junior high (I think).  Anyway, he gets us tickets to Indians and Tigers games.  Nice box seats.  I noticed that my dad gives the usher our tickets, the usher wipes down the seats, and my dad "slips" the usher a couple of bucks.  I didn't say anything - just noticed.  And I noticed other men, relative same age or older doing the same thing.  Later on I realize that he / they were tipping the usher for wiping down the seats.  Now when I get seats at my local AAA ballpark, Huntington Park, or other stadium where the usher wipes down your seat I make sure that I have a few bills available for the ushers.  I also observe others in my age range to younger that haven't a clue.

Edited by BuffaloBud
  • Like (+1) 1

Sorry for your loss..

Last year the Sabres had a home and home series against the Penguins and me and my buddy took our fathers and his uncle down to Pittsburgh for the weekend.  The game in Pittsburgh was Saturday night and the game being played in Buffalo was on Friday night so we caught that game at a bar and then continued to check out a few more establishments.  We ended up finishing the night off at a place called The Smiling Moose that had a very attractive and busty bartender.  A total knockout! 

As we're leaving the bar and trying to figure if we should walk it back to the hotel or go for the Uber confusion breaks out amongst the group and someone in the group says something about were leaving The Smiling Moose....without missing a beat my old man goes "The Smiling Moose?  I thought we were just at the Spectacular Jugs" :lol:

Begs the question... did Pops really do time in Attica? He looked like a tough SOB!

I got stories about my old man, but I refuse to break his secrets.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

At 7, the first time I got hit full square in the face with a hard-kicked soccer ball I cried and cried, they stopped the game.

My Dad stood there patiently on the sidelines, not really his usual thing, and afterwards said it was like a punch in the face, it's something you don't want and it hurts a bit but shrug it off and keep going.

Two weeks later I took another to the face and kept on player without a peep.  Teammates later told me they were impressed by taking it like that.

RIP for your father, I still have mine as he's in his mid-70s and doing fine, better than me.

As a man who has shrugged off many punches to the face (and delivered many) I like your Pops' analogy! It only hurts if you let it hurt!

No *****, I have a cut on my cheekbone and a black eye right now from getting headbutted while trying to break up a fight at a halloween party last weekend! I forgave the dude and we are hopefully better friends now. I have several similar friends.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

6 hours ago, bills_fan said:

My condolences Jim.  May he RIP.  Its terrific you had as much time as you did and that he was able to enjoy skiing until he was 89.  Gives me hope that I enjoy it that long.

Per your request...

Year was 1996 and I had just turned 21.  I went with my Dad when I was on home for break to a place I had never been...the old Boston Hotel in Boston, NY.  On this particular night it was 99 cents a dozen for clams, oysters and other nibbles but we were there for the clams and oysters.  We started with two dozen each of raw clams, raw oysters and steamed clams and ice cold pitcher of Labatts Blue.  It was the first time I was drinking in a pub with my Dad.  We were scarfing down plenty of clams and oysters and enjoying ice cold beer.  This was great!  We ended up polishing off 16 dozen total and washing it down with a couple pitchers.  Was a terrific memory for me because it felt like we crossed a line...a very good line together.

Cool story, but gross, LOL!

I’m so sorry about your dad, but the Bills didn’t lose a fan, you just can’t hug him anymore.

My dad had some sort of speech impediment growing up and went regularly to some nuns who worked with him to get him to normal functioning, unless he was really nervous. (Resulting in one seriously devout Catholic!) As a result, I suppose, he grew up a little awkward socially. He was also a germaphobe. He did pretty well in life, but had just a few really close friends that I recall, and he hated anything dirty.

So there we are one New Years Eve with some of those few close friends, and the adults have had a few too many. Or more. Somehow they start chiding him about how he’s never had a picnic with his family. Another couple were avid campers, and they were appalled! My dad explains he doesn’t like flies crapping on his food, so picnics are out! They point out that tomorrow is New Years Day in Buffalo, and the flies are taking the day off. THAT is how the annual New Year Day picnic in a State Park got started! A bunch of hung over adults drinking bloody mary’s and grilling bacon and eggs, while they let kids too young to operate snowmobiles get lost in a state park! Ahh, good times!

Now....I’m petrified about what will be said about me, when the time comes!   ?

(Love the great memories theme, that’s the best approach, IMO) 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Condolences.

Dad was from Chicago, Mom from Boston, I'm born and bred Long Island. Dad's long gone, Mom's going strong.

Dad was a Bears fan, but not in a big way and/or being a long distance fan wasn't viable back then. 

I was left on my own to find a team. Giants and Jets had no star power.

Over the course of a few years my favorite team changed annually (Super Bowl winners/losers) until Dad took me aside and explained that you're not a fan unless you stick with one team through thick and thin, and you can't just be a front runner.

I took this to heart. Still couldn't go with the Jets or Giants, Buffalo was a New York team (they all were at the time) and I absolutely loved OJ.  A choice was made and despite the fact that the lean years far outweigh the good ones I have no regrets whatsoever and I have my Dad to thank for being a Bills fan and posting here today to express condolences to a dude that needs no advice.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Yeah but it was a damn excited game! 

I like your spirit bro!

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Yeah but it was a damn excited game! 

I like your spirit bro! I just tipped one for Chef Jim's dad, and I will hug my dad tonight. The old man lives with me now, and bugs the ***** out a me, often, but I love him very much.

Thanks for this thread. Cheers to your dad!

Sorry for your loss. 

When I was in fourth grade my mom took me to have my eyes examined because I was having trouble reading the blackboard in school. Not only was it confirmed that I was nearsighted, that’s also when we found out I was red-green colorblind. When we got home and told my dad, he was visibly relieved. He was quite artistic, and he couldn’t understand how I never learned to correctly identify colors. His comment still makes me smile, “all this time I just thought you were stupid.”

• Haha (+1) 4