Mahomes perspective - success not that easy to predict

dtgolder

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He does look good right now.  But you're just being ridiculous if you think anyone will believe you felt he was a HOFer before the draft

Im not a man who cares what people think. Nor am I the type of guy that’ll search this board and others to prove that I felt that way. I just know I’m better at figuring out QBs than the Bills. But that’s not saying much. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You know...I'm going to give up on the Bills and become a Chiefs fan, just so I CAN HEAR LESS ABOUT FRICKIN' MAHOMES!!!

You wouldn’t escape it.  Every kid in Kansas City is Pat Mahomes for Halloween.  The fam base is all in.  

Also, just think how much better Mahomes would be if he had won more games at Texas Tech.  

29 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

It was/is to me. 

...send your resume' to:

Bufflao Bills

1 Bills Drive

Orchard Park, NY 14127

Attention: Desperately Devoid Of Football Management Department

...you'd be a lock...obviously wasting time HERE when you could be THERE, right?..............

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

You wouldn’t escape it.  Every kid in Kansas City is Pat Mahomes for Halloween.  The fam base is all in.  

Also, just think how much better Mahomes would be if he had won more games at Texas Tech.  

Seriously?  You need my post explained to you?  Really?  

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...send your resume' to:

Bufflao Bills

1 Bills Drive

Orchard Park, NY 14127

Attention: Desperately Devoid Of Football Management Department

...you'd be a lock...obviously wasting time HERE when you could be THERE, right?..............

Buddy, there are probably 100 people on this board that could run the Bills better than the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dtgolder said:

Lots of folks lamenting the fact that the Bills passed on Mahomes...but looking back at the 2017 draft it sure seems the Bills weren't the only ones...

Recap: Mahomes was drafted 10th--looking at the players taken before him, we see:

• Myles Garrett (Cleveland)
  • Mitchell Trubisky (Chicago)
  • Solomon Thomas (San Francisco)
  • Leonard Fournette (Jacksonville)
  • Corey Davis (Tennessee)
  • Jamal Adams (Jets)
  • Mike Williams (Chargers)
  • Christian McCaffrey (Carolina)
  • John Ross (Bengals)

Yes, certainly the Bills may have some "selection remorse" now for not taking Mahomes--but I'd argue that *any* of these teams would now gladly trade their pick for Mahomes. Sure there are some good players on the above list, but I'd bet that each and every one of them would be traded straight-up for Mahomes at this point...(one might even add the Rams to this list as they traded the fifth pick to the Titans...)

And remember as well that there were a lot of questions about Mahomes at the time--some folks felt he was a great talent, while others were sure he'd be a bust...

Just proves (yet again) that it's simply not that easy to predict success in the NFL, and particularly at the QB position. 

Dont give a ***** about other teams... the Bill's ALWAYS make these mistakes.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Andy Ried wanted trubisky, that was there guy. The beara took him. They settled for mahomes. They where not all in on mahomes. Trubisky was what they wanted

Well, that's not what Reid said, or Dorsey. They were unanimous on him. Both emphasized it.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article147392189.html

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article147284164.html

Brett Veatch, current GM and maybe the guy most responsible for getting him to KC, explains it this way: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/23/patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid

Back before the 2017 draft, Brett Veach—then the co-director of player personnel, now the Chiefs general manager—would see when the head coach would break for lunch. At that point in the day, Reid would have a pretty good read on the quarterback, and as he walked past the windows of Veach’s office, he would look down and swipe his hand from left to right as if to say “no way.” The kid couldn’t be their guy of the future.

Then Patrick Mahomes visited to the team facilities. Veach saw Reid on his way to lunch and looked for a hand signal. He got eye contact and a thumbs-up—full approval from one of the best offensive minds in today’s NFL.

“It wasn’t just a nod or a smile, it was a thumbs up with a smile,” Veach says. “Turning that hall I remember coach looking at me like, ‘Yeah, this is the dude.’

• Like (+1) 1

If this type of QB success was predictable then teams would have been falling over each other to trade up to #1 to draft him. Teams would have Sucked-for-Mahomes like the Colts did for Luck. Obviously Reid and Co thought he'd be very good but no where near historically good, especially this fast. This is just the outcome when you have generational type talent meeting very good QB coaching and skill players around him.  The scary thing is that he's only 9 games into his career as a starter and he has so much room to grow. 

20 hours ago, dtgolder said:

Lots of folks lamenting the fact that the Bills passed on Mahomes...but looking back at the 2017 draft it sure seems the Bills weren't the only ones...

Recap: Mahomes was drafted 10th--looking at the players taken before him, we see:

• Myles Garrett (Cleveland)
  • Mitchell Trubisky (Chicago)
  • Solomon Thomas (San Francisco)
  • Leonard Fournette (Jacksonville)
  • Corey Davis (Tennessee)
  • Jamal Adams (Jets)
  • Mike Williams (Chargers)
  • Christian McCaffrey (Carolina)
  • John Ross (Bengals)

Yes, certainly the Bills may have some "selection remorse" now for not taking Mahomes--but I'd argue that *any* of these teams would now gladly trade their pick for Mahomes. Sure there are some good players on the above list, but I'd bet that each and every one of them would be traded straight-up for Mahomes at this point...(one might even add the Rams to this list as they traded the fifth pick to the Titans...)

And remember as well that there were a lot of questions about Mahomes at the time--some folks felt he was a great talent, while others were sure he'd be a bust...

Just proves (yet again) that it's simply not that easy to predict success in the NFL, and particularly at the QB position. 

Passing on a potential franchise QB to take a DB because the team didn't re-sign the Pro Bowl DB that the team had drafted in the first round just five years before simply cannot be justified, no matter what mental gymnastics McDermott defenders try to employ.  If the Bills had gotten a great edge rusher or a DT to clog up the middle of the line, there might be some legs to the argument for taking him over Mahomes, but a DB, even a great DB, is simply not that valuable.  Compared to franchise QBs, shut down DBs are virtually "a dime a dozen".   No excuses.

Sure--hindsight is 20-20...and it's not just the "bad" teams that missed on Mahomes....think about it--

If say the Pats thought he was as good as he now seems to be before the draft, wouldn't they have traded up to secure Brady's replacement? There were 10 teams they could have traded with to secure that pick...same is true for any other NFL team you can name.

EVERYONE in the league (save the Chiefs) missed the mark on this kid (not just the 'bad' teams).

Bottom line: predicting QB success is elusive. And the jury is still out on all of the 2018 (and 2017 for that matter) QBs, including Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bdaed463147534249

What I said was, "Compared to franchise QBs, shut down DBs are virtually 'a dime a dozen'."   If you quote someone, use the entire quote, not just a part you can make fun with a cutsey image.  No excuses for you any more than for McDermott.