Mahomes perspective - success not that easy to predict

dtgolder

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If Andy Reid is so smart, how come in all his years in Philly he passed on guys like Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, and Brees just to name a few off the top of my head?

This goes back to the OP's point, not nearly as easy to predict as some want to think in hind sight.  And lets give Mahomes more than half a season before we start sculpting his HOF bust here too.

Maybe Reid is older and wiser now?

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

It is hard to foresee who will be good or great.  That's why a team like Buffalo should have a system in place where they are taking a stab at QBs constantly, almost expecting them not to pan out.

When one does, you're all set for a decade and more and have a chance to win a championship.

I agree with that draft strategy across the board. Betting the farm on one guy to fill a position is short sighted. If there is a can’t miss which is rare due to the nature of the game and life in general, I would pick multiples in positions of need. That way you competition and depth.  Next year barring the addition of even more picks, where you could get Clemson’s D-line, I would  use the picks on WR and O-line. Maybe sprinkle in a RB and a TE, since those are complimentary to the need as is. 

11 minutes ago, iinii said:

Maybe Reid is older and wiser now?

I agree with that draft strategy across the board. Betting the farm on one guy to fill a position is short sighted. If there is a can’t miss which is rare due to the nature of the game and life in general, I would pick multiples in positions of need. That way you competition and depth.  Next year barring the addition of even more picks, where you could get Clemson’s D-line, I would  use the picks on WR and O-line. Maybe sprinkle in a RB and a TE, since those are complimentary to the need as is. 

It wasn't via draft, but when it was clear the Eagles needed to upgrade the WR position, they acquired both Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffrey. I don't believe they thought both would be great fits. They were essentially giving them both an opportunity to demonstrate their talents. Obviously Jeffrey stuck and Smith didn't. I think that's a great approach.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

It wasn't via draft, but when it was clear the Eagles needed to upgrade the WR position, they acquired both Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffrey. I don't believe they thought both would be great fits. They were essentially giving them both an opportunity to demonstrate their talents. Obviously Jeffrey stuck and Smith didn't. I think that's a great approach.

See you can be the GM and I will make sure the coffee is fresh. Just win!

• Haha (+1) 1

For years I've seen people on TBD comparing other teams' draft mistakes and how that somehow absolves the Bills. 

As if the bad teams making questionable/bad personnel decisions somehow are the standard and if Buffalo is just like them it's all good. Sure, whatever. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

It's telling that the majority of teams who passed on Mahomes have defensive-minded coaches or have a 'settled' QB situation (Chargers, Titans, Bengals).

Andy Reid, one of the best offensive minds in the NFL, was able to see the potential in Mahomes and traded up to make him the 10th pick.  

The Bears took Trubisky under Johnn Fox, a defensive-minded coach , but it's apparent that Mahomes is the better QB.

Maybe the key to drafting a great QB is to have a more offensive-minded guy make the selection.

What's apparent is that Mahomes fell into a unique situation. He came to a perennial playoff team with a solid veteran QB. He was able to sit and learn. He is surrounded by elite weapons on offense and has an innovative offensive coach.

It's pretty clear that he had the best possible thing happen to him. If you switch him with Trubisky, he may have similarly thrived (that goes for Josh Allen, too).

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

Wentz is still recovering from a serious knee injury

Yeah, both Wentz and Watson are rounding back into form.

It was convenient for Bills fans to suggest they were struggling and might not be all that good. Now that they're both playing really well again, there's little that fits their narrative that it makes sense to hold out hope that the light is suddenly going to turn on for Allen. 

Most young QBs who make it as franchise players show it very often. Rarely do they struggle as badly as Allen has struggled this year. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

What's apparent is that Mahomes fell into a unique situation. He came to a perennial playoff team with a solid veteran QB. He was able to sit and learn. He is surrounded by elite weapons on offense and has an innovative offensive coach.

It's pretty clear that he had the best possible thing happen to him. If you switch him with Trubisky, he may have similarly thrived (that goes for Josh Allen, too).

Mahomes does everything better than Allen on a football field. And I'm not talking about right now; this dates back to their full college careers as well.

The fact that we passed on Mahomes at 10 and traded up to take Allen at 7 made no sense whatsoever. 

Mahomes has always been an elite passer. Allen is just a guy with a strong arm, and there's a big difference between the two. 

Edited by jrober38

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Mahomes does everything better than Allen on a football field. And I'm not talking about right now; this dates back to their full college careers as well.

The fact that we passed on Mahomes at 10 and traded up to take Allen at 7 made no sense whatsoever. 

I don't watch college ball, but there was plenty debate about Mahomes. He fell to 10 for a reason, and many thought he would fall further than that. Allen was a consensus top 10 pick.

Comparing their current situations is pretty obviously unfair. Allen was thrust into playing before he was ready and has no talent around him. He's on a team rebuilding. Mahomes went to an established team with tons of talent and didn't play until he was ready.

56 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

My only counterpoint would be that Mahomes was ultra productive in college and Allen was not. 

I admit that I was a bit skeptical of what that production actually represented considering the offensive system.

What irks me is when people deny what they're witnessing. It's clear as day Mahomes is a star and I think if people were intellectually honest, they would acknowledge that.

I don't really care about college production when I'm looking at QBs, JMO. The one thing Mahomes has done really well is diagnosing defenses pre and post snap. That wasn't apparent at Texas Tech where he ran a gimmick spread offense.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't watch college ball, but there was plenty debate about Mahomes. He fell to 10 for a reason, and many thought he would fall further than that. Allen was a consensus top 10 pick.

Comparing their current situations is pretty obviously unfair. Allen was thrust into playing before he was ready and has no talent around him. He's on a team rebuilding. Mahomes went to an established team with tons of talent and didn't play until he was ready.

I don't buy it.

There's nothing Allen does better than Mahomes on the football field. Allen was the inferior player in every aspect you can look at a QB.

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't buy it.

There's nothing Allen does better than Mahomes on the football field. Allen was the inferior player in every aspect you can look at a QB.

I'm not qualified to make such a grand statement, and I don't believe you are either.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't really care about college production when I'm looking at QBs, JMO. The one thing Mahomes has done really well is diagnosing defenses pre and post snap. That wasn't apparent at Texas Tech where he ran a gimmick spread offense.

Alllen wasn't good at this in a pro style system at Wyoming.

So far as a Bill he's struggled badly in this department. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Right now, still too early to tell. Wentz looked way better than Goff initially. Different story this year 

^^^ This right here! This is Mahommes first thrust into the league. There isn’t a ton of game film on him and he has a ton of talented skill position players. Let’s see how next year goes for him. (And the rest of this year.)

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

^^^ This right here! This is Mahommes first thrust into the league. There isn’t a ton of game film on him and he has a ton of talented skill position players. Let’s see how next year goes for him. (And the rest of this year.)

I don't get this. Why are so many people sure that young, successful QBs like Mahomes, Goff, Wentz and Watson will get worse, and on the flip side how can you be so convinced that Josh Allen will get better.

If those guys can get worse as teams figure out their tendencies, isn't the same true for Allen? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

I don't get this. Why are so many people sure that young, successful QBs like Mahomes, Goff, Wentz and Watson will get worse, and on the flip side how can you be so convinced that Josh Allen will get better.

If those guys can get worse as teams figure out their tendencies, isn't the same true for Allen? 

That wasn’t my intent. My point was stop thinking he is great based off of a small sample size.  Wentz, Watson, and Jimmy G have come back to good QB but not earth shattering game changers. Both Goff and Mahommes have a sick amount of studs around them in skill positions. Goff has more and well that team be done if a certain (Gurley) RB goes down.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That wasn’t my intent. My point was stop thinking he is great based off of a small sample size.  Wentz, Watson, and Jimmy G have come back to good QB but not earth shattering game changers. Both Goff and Mahommes have a sick amount of studs around them in skill positions. Goff has more and well that team be done if a certain (Gurley) RB goes down.

Wentz and Watson have been great the last three weeks. They're both recovering from major injuries and are steadily rounding back into the form they were in a year ago.

Jimmy G is hurt. No idea how he has anything to do with this argument considering he's in like his 5th season in the league. 

The point is this; most long term starters in the NFL showed they were good almost immediately. There are exceptions, but most of the guys who start for 5+ straight years are guys who had early success. 

On the flip side, most busts are guys who struggled initially. Again, there are exceptions, but the vast majority of the time if a rookie QB comes in and struggles with the basics, it's a bad predictor for how their overall career will go. 

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

And that is what has eroded my confidence in this regime. McDermott is a DC and hasn’t brought in people on the offensive side to compensate for his short comings. Throwing Allen to the wolves was foolhardy at best. 

4 hours ago, dtgolder said:

Lots of folks lamenting the fact that the Bills passed on Mahomes...but looking back at the 2017 draft it sure seems the Bills weren't the only ones...

Recap: Mahomes was drafted 10th--looking at the players taken before him, we see:

• Myles Garrett (Cleveland)
  • Mitchell Trubisky (Chicago)
  • Solomon Thomas (San Francisco)
  • Leonard Fournette (Jacksonville)
  • Corey Davis (Tennessee)
  • Jamal Adams (Jets)
  • Mike Williams (Chargers)
  • Christian McCaffrey (Carolina)
  • John Ross (Bengals)

Yes, certainly the Bills may have some "selection remorse" now for not taking Mahomes--but I'd argue that *any* of these teams would now gladly trade their pick for Mahomes. Sure there are some good players on the above list, but I'd bet that each and every one of them would be traded straight-up for Mahomes at this point...(one might even add the Rams to this list as they traded the fifth pick to the Titans...)

And remember as well that there were a lot of questions about Mahomes at the time--some folks felt he was a great talent, while others were sure he'd be a bust...

Just proves (yet again) that it's simply not that easy to predict success in the NFL, and particularly at the QB position. 

For bad franchises its especially difficult to predict.