Joe Marino: Options to Help Fix the Bills Offense in the Offseason

DCOrange

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You apparently did not actually read the article in the OP.  The author specifically talks about Daboll doing a good job but being hamstrung by the talent.

You can agree or not, but it would be nice for folks to read articles referred to before commenting.

As the article says:

I don’t think Buffalo has a coaching issue at all. Daboll couldn’t have been dealt a worse hand and it’s hard to envision any other coordinator getting more out of Buffalo’s personnel.

We have a terrible offensive roster.  Maybe the lowest-paid and overall worst in the NFL.  We also have terrible offensive productivity in terms of yards and/or points.   Daboll and his staff have neither over-performed nor under-performed.  

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Broncos have Paradis and LG Billy Turner both as upcoming FAs. I doubt (though it is not impossible) they are able to re-sign both and I think whichever one they don't should be the Bills #1 target. Ideally that is Paradis because I think there are several other options at guard.  I really like Quinton Spain from Tennessee. I think his lack of big name profile might mean that you get him at a more reasonable price too. He would be a massive, instant upgrade. If you can't get Paradis then the alternatives at center are less impressive.

We haven't got any talent. That is why the plan is bad. Our RT executed a cut block so effectively on Monday night that he took himself and our RG out of the play in one strike leaving two unblocked rushers running at Anderson.

With talent like that who needs a plan?

Ya paradise instantly transforms the line. Make him highest paid center and call it a day. I’m hoping the Bills lock up two quality starting linemen. Sign Paradise and James/Williams/Brown at RT this line looks dramatically better. 

Like others have said, fix the OL in FA and add a WR who can actually get open.  That solves a lot of problems.  Then we still have the draft.  Draft BPA in top 5, likely DL, which is okay, because continued defensive dominance will be required.  Then draft OL (good ones likely around end of 1st, and in 2nd); WR (generally good ones in 3-4) and RB (with a good OL, keep Ivory and Shady and get a stud 3rd-4th rounder).  If we can field an offense putting up even 21 points a game next year we will be in good shape if we keep the D churning. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I would spend too much money to get Saffold / Paradis / John Brown / Tyrell Williams

That hopefully locks up LT / LG / C and gives Allen two WRs who can win deep.

I think the value is going to be on DL where we draft (which isn't not a need) in the 1st round, but following that up with BPA spread accross WR / TE / OL / RB could maybe put us in position to be half decent for Allen.

This is so damn sexy, Chuck.  I dig it.  

Dare I say I am almost getting excited thinking about it.

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think offensive line needs to be a focus in FA.  We need at least 2 new starters, I think Center and RG are most urgent.  Could definitely use an upgrade at RT too.

You know, Royale, if I tilt me head just a bit and squint when reading your post quickly it makes it sound like our offensive line isn't that good.

If I have misinterpreted your post please forgive me.

Great article, and thanks for sharing!  I think this should give all a glimmer of hope for next season.  Pick up a few of the OL, a WR or 2 and have another solid draft and we would be in decent shape for the 2019 season.

I would target 5 players in free agency for the offense (2-3 OL, 1-2 WR and maybe a TE). Even at an average of $10 million/yr that's $50 of the $90 million in cap space so it can be done, and probably for a little less than an average of $10 million.

If they end up with a top 3-4 pick, based on their needs this is a perfect draft to trade down. It is top heavy in DL talent at the top and possibly a team (Jacksonville? Tampa Bay?) would trade up for a QB. Pick up a couple extra picks, most likely a lower 1 and a 2 plus a future pick if they're trading down 5-8 spots. In the draft. If they can end up with 4 picks in the top 100 (which if they trade down and have a top four draft slot they would have) then it's possible to fill in some other spots like another for OL, a rotational DL player, a WR and either a RB or LB. 

They would still have $40+ million in cap space for depth guys and maybe even a starter or 2 on D (LB to replace Alexander, CB2). 

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I like Tyrell Williams, he's got plenty of deep ball speed. 

He's such a tease. It seems like he disappears for 90% of most games but whenever he makes a catch, it's a huge one. Still, I'd love to take a chance on a guy as young as he is, with the size and speed he has, and at least decent production. I'm not sure if he's my #1 WR free agent target this year, but he's damn close.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Been saying for a while that Paradise needs to be be target of hits free agency, make him the highest paid center or give Mitch Morse a nice contract. 

Would definately help solidify this bad situation

I think we have a top 5 to 7 pick when it is all said and done....too low for Bosa...in this situation I take the best LT.....move Dawkins to LG......sign free agent Paradise.....another offensive OL to battle Wyatt Teller at RG.......and probably keep Mills but draft a offensive linemen high to try to unseat him......

If we keep Shady then our RB group is set......we take a TE.....2 WR's in the draft......in the latter rounds its best available player trying to pull a Matt Milano type talent out of the middle to late rounds

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Our offensive coordinator job is currently a career killer.  No "proven track record of success" OC on his way up the ladder towards  HC would even entertain our phone call.  Which leaves us sifting through the fringes of failed former OCs, position coaches getting a promotion or college coaches.

And the same argument holds true for HC's.  Buffalo will always struggle to land top coaches or players.  The NFL will solidify that by keeping us a 5-7 win team every year. The Bills will continue to do their job for the NFL as a mere schedule filler. It's a vicious rut I don't ever see us getting out of. We're not compelling or revenue generating enough to the NFL.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I'd focus on gobbling up 2-3 of those O-lineman in FA and at least 1 WR. Draft good young offensive weapons, I'm not sure BPA on D-line with our first rd pick is the right idea though. I'd personally like to see us trade back if possible.

Kyle may retire after this season, creating an immediate need on the D-line. Even if he stays another year, we'll need a replacement soon.

Also, we have a ton of picks. They could grab a DL and trade up for some offensive talent if there's someone there they really like.

3 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Sign a would be 42 year old Brady to mentor Allen for 2019. Brady can start, but the expectation will be for Allen to learn from him.

He doesn't like the hotels in Buffalo.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

N’Keal Harry seems to be the best fit for our offense.  Great deep threat with a huge catch radius.

YES - especially given Allen's accuracy issues, I would love for us to be able to land this guy over other WRs. Just don't know if he makes it to our second round pick...I think our first would be a bit of a reach unless we trade back.

Edited by ctk232

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

YES - especially given Allen's accuracy issues, I would love for us to be able to land this guy over other WRs. Just don't know if he makes it to our second round pick...I think our first would be a bit of a reach unless we trade back.

I recently read that he could be someone that shoots up the draft charts.  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I recently read that he could be someone that shoots up the draft charts.  

That's what I've heard too - him making OBJ catches just riles up the media attention and focus as well. Just don't want us to end up reaching for him in the 1st considering with a top 5 pick I'd be happier landing Oliver/Bosa or Little. Trading back though I may approach it differently given what OL talent is left, go N'Keal then OL in the second.