I honestly think Zay Jones is a decent wide receiver

Bills365

Am i the only one who thinks that this guy is atleast a decent wide receiver #2 in this league? He has definately improved his route running. He hasnt had any bad drops not that he has had many passes thrown to him. From watching the games and then rewatching he seems to seperate and catch the ball when given the chance. I feel like if he had a decent qb throwing to him he could be a legitimate receiver in this league. Am i just delusional here? I know alot of people have been down on this guy but i have a feeling he will shine by the end of his rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Leading the NCAA in receptions and finalist for the Biletnikoff award tells me he could be much better than "average" wit ha good offense around him.

And that why we traded up for him. Too bad it hasn’t translated to the nfl...yet

He’s been okay. Every team in the league has plays to get their receivers the ball in space and easy catches. We never even try to do that. Give Zay some screens, a few quick hitches and slants. Get the ball to him quick for some yac. The way we used to with Stevie. We are the dumbest offense in recent NFL history. I can’t believe Daboll hasn’t been fired yet. I’m not sure what it’s going to take. 5 straight games without a td maybe? Does a single person think this guy will be our OC when this thing gets turned around?

Zay has taken a nice step forward. I think next year is when we really start to see him take off. He's almost matched his season totals from last year in 8 games along with consistently getting open and not dropping the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Leading the NCAA in receptions and finalist for the Biletnikoff award tells me he could be much better than "average" wit ha good offense around him.

His YAC is what he has to work on next- he seems to never break tackles or just get that second gear that the great ones have. 

Agholor took off in his 3rd season when everyone thought he was a bust. If we could get a true #1 receiver i think Zay could have a bright future. He just needs a qb to get him the ball! Anderson had him for an easy td last night to if he didnt fumble the snap.

25 minutes ago, Bills365 said:

Am i the only one who thinks that this guy is atleast a decent wide receiver #2 in this league? He has definately improved his route running. He hasnt had any bad drops not that he has had many passes thrown to him. From watching the games and then rewatching he seems to seperate and catch the ball when given the chance. I feel like if he had a decent qb throwing to him he could be a legitimate receiver in this league. Am i just delusional here? I know alot of people have been down on this guy but i have a feeling he will shine by the end of his rookie contract.

Average...no threat to be a big time playmaker.#3 guy.

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

He’s been okay. Every team in the league has plays to get their receivers the ball in space and easy catches. We never even try to do that. Give Zay some screens, a few quick hitches and slants. Get the ball to him quick for some yac. The way we used to with Stevie. We are the dumbest offense in recent NFL history. I can’t believe Daboll hasn’t been fired yet. I’m not sure what it’s going to take. 5 straight games without a td maybe? Does a single person think this guy will be our OC when this thing gets turned around?

The other team never blitzes because our oline isn't good - so screens aren't effective. They play tons of press man with a single high look.. because our receivers struggle to create separation deep. They need to be running timing routes like hitches, and rub routes, back shoulders. Throwing in some crossers. We have QBs who aren't good at beating man, and our running game isn't good. It's not all on shady. The blocking is bad on a lot of those losses.

There are, in overly broad terms, 3 types of receivers.

ones that elevate their unit, ones that are effective in a good unit, and ones that don’t really belong. He’s a perfectly fine 2, 3, 4 type player but not a game changer. He belongs though. 

• Like (+1) 1