The Draft Network: An offseason plan to fix the Bills offense

YoloinOhio

Free Agency

Bolstering the offense with known commodities to insert around the younger talent is something we can expect from Buffalo this offseason. 37 percent of the Bills’ current roster is made up of rookies or second-year players so adding more veterans to the mix is necessary. Who could be available for the Bills to sign with its $90+ million in cap space? Here are the options slated to be free agents that I think are attractive.

Offensive Line

• Rodger Saffold, Rams – Saffold has spent the last 9 seasons in the Rams organization and turned 30 in June. He would immediately upgrade the Bills’ interior offensive line and is arguably a top-15 guard in the league.
  • Matthew Paradis, Broncos – Paradis is 29 and one of the league’s best centers. He would come at a steep price but it’s nothing Buffalo couldn’t work in given its available space.
  • Ju’Wuan James, Dolphins – James has been a solid starter but has dealt with some injuries since becoming Miami’s first-round pick in 2014. At 26 years old, James could lock down Buffalo’s right tackle position.
  • Daryl Williams, Panthers – Williams enjoyed a breakout 2017 season before suffering a preseason knee injury that has derailed his 2018 season. Beane/McDermott are familiar with Williams and he could come at a discount given his injury. He has long-term starting potential if he can build on his 2017 campaign.
  • Trenton Brown, Patriots – Brown is a gigantic blocker with ridiculous length and good mobility for his size. He’ll be 26 next season and is the current starting left tackle for New England after starting the previous 2 seasons on the right side for San Francisco.
  • Others to Consider – Quinton Spain (Titans), Eric Kush (Bears), Mitch Morse (Chiefs), Ty Nsekhe (Redskins)

• John Brown, Ravens – Buffalo went after Brown last offseason but he opted to sign with Baltimore on a one-year prove it deal. On pace for 1,000 yards and averaging nearly 19 yards per catch, he’s doing just that. This is the take-the-top-off the defense target Buffalo sorely needs.
  • Tyrell Williams, Chargers – Williams has been a flashy, big play threat for Phillip Rivers. He has the size, speed and ball skills to become a quality starter in Buffalo.
  • Devin Funchess, Panthers – A player Beane/McDermott are familiar with from Carolina, Funchess has illustrated steady growth throughout his career. He’s enjoying the best season of his career as Cam Newton’s go-to target.
  • Others to Consider – Randall Cobb (Packers), Golden Tate (Eagles), Chris Hogan (Patriots).

Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell and Raiders TE Jared Cook are other weapons who have some appeal but I don’t believe Buffalo would have much interest in either.

If Buffalo could add two of those offensive lineman and at least one of the receivers, it would go a long way in turning the corner offensively.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The author describes Allen as a critical building block and I guess assumes he's going to be magically better next year, especially considering his lost development time this year due to injury.

His plan doesn't involve a QB beyond that.

The rest of it doesn't really matter unless Allen can turn into a new player, and on short notice.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Seems reasonable.  And for those saying they need to replace Allen give it a rest.  That's not happening and you

know it.

He needs to play.  What if he shows no progress.  I think you need to at least prepare for the worst.  Like this year.  This is pretty much the worst.  Unless they have Milano play QB.  That could be worse. 

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

He needs to play.  What if he shows no progress.  I think you need to at least prepare for the worst.  Like this year.  This is pretty much the worst.  Unless they have Milano play QB.  That could be worse. 

When he gets cleared to play he'll play.  No one is saying he needs surgery, just that they don't want to rush him back till he's 100%.   And I expect a better backup situation here next year.

Paradis and Saffold would immediately make the O-line a respectable unit. Golden Tate would be a nice place to start rebuilding the WR core. Those 3 big acquisitions plus 2 more mid-level acquisitions along with investing all picks in rounds 1-3 on offense would infuse the offense with a lot of talent, enough to where I think you can see what Allen actually has behind competent NFL offensive players. 

Edited by billsfan89

Pretty much all the OL they mentioned here I was wanting them to sign in the FA thread... Matt Paradis would be such a great signing but Denver just freed up some cash after trading away Deymarius Thomas. G Rodger Saffold would be another excellent addition and so would Spain from the titans. I'm not a real fan of brown or James at RT though. I also had both John Brown and Tyrell Williams as WR options next year but to me Zay jones has emerged into our #2, John Brown in the slot would be awesome with a rookie #1 WR like Kelvin Harmon of NC State imo. That would be a heck of an offseason/Draft I'd say.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The author describes Allen as a critical building block and I guess assumes he's going to be magically better next year, especially considering his lost development time this year due to injury.

The rest of it doesn't really matter unless Allen can turn into a new player, and on short notice.

It’s not really magic for a QB to improve from his rookie year to his 2nd year.  It’s a pretty standard NFL expectation that a QB doesn’t peak in the first year.

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Yeah why would a year more experience and better players around him allow him to perform better. What strange sorcery that would be.

Edited by Warcodered

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Ya cause no qb has ever gotten better in year two

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I totally agree with his assessment of Daboll. And for those who say it's outdated fail to realize it's the same scheme as New England.

“I’ve watched a lot of the Bills passing game, and been pretty impressed with Brian Daboll’s offense so far. He’s scheming guys open and giving Allen easy reads, while also utilizing plenty of play action concepts, the quarterback’s biggest schematic strength in college.”

I don’t think Buffalo has a coaching issue at all. Daboll couldn’t have been dealt a worse hand and it’s hard to envision any other coordinator getting more out of Buffalo’s personnel. "

not so sure about Dawkins he has had a ton of whiffs in pass blocking. Might need to move to guard.

I will be surprised if we don't land some of those players.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I totally agree with his assessment of Daboll. And for those who say it's outdated fail to realize it's the same scheme as New England.

“I’ve watched a lot of the Bills passing game, and been pretty impressed with Brian Daboll’s offense so far. He’s scheming guys open and giving Allen easy reads, while also utilizing plenty of play action concepts, the quarterback’s biggest schematic strength in college.”

I don’t think Buffalo has a coaching issue at all. Daboll couldn’t have been dealt a worse hand and it’s hard to envision any other coordinator getting more out of Buffalo’s personnel. "

not so sure about Dawkins he has had a ton of whiffs in pass blocking. Might need to move to guard.

I will be surprised if we don't land some of those players.

I think Dawkins is fine at LT. He had a big miss on mnf that led to DA fumble but he had left the field injured and had just come back and I think that could have been a factor 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, N.Y. Orangeman said:

The issue I have is that he's expecting us to invest a huge part of our salary cap in guys who are over 30.  I don't think that fits with our rebuild.  Guys like Morse, Williams, AJ Cann and Williams make so much more sense that Paradis, Saffold and Tate.

I think it’s fine to add a few of those guys personally, if they are good players. 40% of the roster right now is 1st or 2nd year players. They need a good mix of experience and youth. Especially on the   OL where guys can play at a high level well into their 30s. 

• Like (+1) 2