Sammy Watkins Admits to an "Ego Problem" When He First Came into the League

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Many players do. Heck Bruce Smith took a little time to get it together. Bills should have kept Watkins. He’d be the primary weapon on this team. 

They should’ve picked up his 5th year option. There’s no doubt Sammy would have jumped at the chance to leave Buffalo when FA starts and there’s no way in hell he would be worth the price tag. As he demonstrates time and time again, Sammy is not a # 1 WR and should not be paid like one.   He is a very good decoy though :)

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Many players do. Heck Bruce Smith took a little time to get it together. Bills should have kept Watkins. He’d be the primary weapon on this team. 

Sammy wanted the ball in Buffalo.  I can’t really blame him for that.  He was embarrassed that players taken lower than him in the draft (and considered lesser WR’s) outperformed him both on the stat sheet and on the field.  

I will will never buy into the fact that Sammy that Sammy is one of the best WR’s in the league.  He’s on a second....maybe a third tier.  Not a #1 WR

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Should still be here on 5th year option. But McD cant handle egos 

IMO Sammy is an underachiever.  Not a #1 and never lived up to his hype.  Still, declining the option on him was a big mistake.  Even if they wanted to trade him, the 5th year option would only have driven up his value even higher.  And if they wanted to move on after year 5,  they could have always tagged and traded him like a Jarvis Landry.  

Again, you can fault The Pegulas for keeping Whaley around as a lame duck.  If Beane comes on in Jan, we could be looking at a much different roster 

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

IMO Sammy is an underachiever.  Not a #1 and never lived up to his hype.  Still, declining the option on him was a big mistake.  Even if they wanted to trade him, the 5th year option would only have driven up his value even higher.  And if they wanted to move on after year 5,  they could have always tagged and traded him like a Jarvis Landry.  

Again, you can fault The Pegulas for keeping Whaley around as a lame duck.  If Beane comes on in Jan, we could be looking at a much different roster 

You mean the McD Yes man. McD ran that offseason NOT Whaley

He still has one... He believes he's a top 5 receiver in the league but he's not.  He doesn't work hard.  Any top-5 WR swapping with Watkins would be putting up monster numbers in KC right now.. not Sammys measly 4th-option stats.

I believe he thought he was going to come into Buffalo and everything was going to come easy for him and he would be one of the players to turn the Bills around.  When it didn't happen overnight, he got frustrated and either stopped caring, or wanted out as soon as he could.

It's too bad, I still think he has great talent - if only he'd put in the work.

I remember being really excited when we traded up for him.  Boy, was I wrong....

4 minutes ago, Wo-Bah said:

I believe he thought he was going to come into Buffalo and everything was going to come easy for him and he would be one of the players to turn the Bills around.  When it didn't happen overnight, he got frustrated and either stopped caring, or wanted out as soon as he could.

I remember being really excited when we traded up for him.  Boy, was I wrong....

How do you come to this conclusion with the 1st two seasons he had with 2K plus receiving yards and 15 TDs before getting injured in 2016?  Where is your evidence that he didn't work on his craft as a WR?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

35 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Didn't he say the same thing last year with Rams. 

Yes, and he doesn't dis his time with the Rams here at all. He indicates that the step up in maturity occurred last season, not this one.

4 minutes ago, Wo-Bah said:

He played extremely well when healthy for Buffalo. Dominating at times, in fact. 

10 minutes ago, Jobot said:

He still has one... He believes he's a top 5 receiver in the league but he's not.  He doesn't work hard.  Any top-5 WR swapping with Watkins would be putting up monster numbers in KC right now.. not Sammys measly 4th-option stats.

Huh??? No one with any real knowledge has ever said that about Watkins. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Should still be here on 5th year option. But McD cant handle egos 

McD can handle egos.  He just doesn't want to.  Plus Sammy had an injury problem as well as a character one.     

Did you read the story about Sammy whining for targets?  So Shady put a punch of paper targets in an envelope and gave them to Sammy to mock & embarrass him?   That's not the kind of story that emerges from a winning team's locker room.  Sammy's admitted that when he was with the Bills, he was more interested in personal stats than wins.  At that time, Sammy was a gimpy, me-first, egomaniac.  Why would you want a guy like that on your team?

Teamwork, culture, chemistry...  these things are all important and Sammy was poison when here.  I'm glad to hear he's acknowledged his shortcomings since then and is growing as a man and as a player.  

• Like (+1) 1