Sammy Watkins Admits to an "Ego Problem" When He First Came into the League

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

How did the Bills sign Jordan Poyer and Hyde if their cap was such a problem? 

Uh, Poyer's contract was for 4 years and only $13 million (so $3.25 million a year), and Hyde's contract was 5 years for $30 million, with his 2017 salary only being $2.3 million. He got a $1.6 million signing bonus, but we were able to sign him for cheap up front by back loading the contract. Those aren't monster contracts. The league average for FS (which includes rookies) is $2.8 million a year, and $2.6 million for SS. The average salary of the top 30 safeties in the league is $7.5 million.

The cap was a huge issue going into the 2017 offseason. Remember, they had only 49 players under contract heading into it, with 34 players becoming free agents (23 unrestricted). They only had $2.8 million to roll over towards the next season (compare that to this year, they'll roll over an additional $10 million into 2019), and only were left with about $24 million to spend on 41 players going into the draft & training camp. 

To think having only $24 million to sign quality free agents, pay rookies, and make deals with wasn't a problem is crazy, especially when the Bills were getting crap production out of all that money. And because of those poor contracts & paying crappy players, we were backed into a situation where we had to just bite the bullet & destroy our cap this year with dead money. 

The Bills are dead last in spending for ALL TEAMS on active salaries this year with only $125 million. Yet due to poor cap management in the past, the Bills entered the season with only $8.5 million in cap space! Thankfully next year will be a completely different story, with upwards of $90 million in cap space available, but that's because the cap WAS a problem in the past, but management decided to just take the L this year in hopes of fixing it in the long run.

Edited by BigDingus

22 hours ago, teef said:

sammy is not a star or a difference maker.  he's on his third team and hasn't shown to be either of those things.  that's the problem.

i would have much rather to have sammy on the team than not.  i think he's a good wr.  the problem is fa.  do you really think it was in sammy's best interest not to test it?  why would he just give whatever buffalo gave him?  his numbers likely would have been pedestrian as usual if he stayed.  why you and other think he and tt would have had a monstrous 2017 season is beyond me.  neither have shown to be productive in the nfl, yet magically the stars would have aligned and records would have been broken...right?!

sammy isn't a difference maker.  that's the problem.  if he was, either the bills or the rams would have kept him.  that was my point about he rams letting him go.  at some point you have to look at reality, and not possible scenarios that may or may not happen.

Sammy has never lived up to his potential, due in large part to his being unable to consistently stay on the field. A great performance will be followed up by a few weeks of sitting out with various ailments, then getting back up to speed, show a flash here or there, and so on and so forth. This week no different from wash, rinse, repeat.

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/11/sammy-watkins-fantasy-how-concerning-injury/

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They were certainly tight against the cap entering the 2017 offseason, but cap hell? Not even close. Outside of arguably Dareus(who was obviously lazy at times but still a better player than Star at his best, whos cap hit is close to what MD's was)what bad contracts are you referring to? 

I think a lot of fans point all along was the team didn't need to go out and get a whole bunch of quality FA's that offseason. The roster was solid and COACHING is what held them back the previous two seasons. How does the cap entering 2017 prevent them from picking up Watkins 5th year option two years away? 

Had they picked up Watkins option, not traded players like Dareus, Glenn, Darby, and not signed guys like Star, Murphy, and Vontae Davis they are still WAY under the cap this offseason and fine entering last offseason. 

I can't remember all the FAs entering that 2017 offseason, but IIRC just about all of them were backups/easily replaceable FAs.(Zach Brown being the stand out and LB in today's NFL is a somewhat easy and cheap fix.) Alexander was another, but again, they got him back for a team friendly deal. 

The point being they took a quality roster that simply needed better coaching and turned it upside down. The reason many fans are questioning "the process." The "Cap Hell" excuse is just that. An excuse. 

They simply didn't want to work with the player's(a lot of good, young talented ones) provided to them. 

Exactly......  How a team that is not better then 9-7 (and that was all of 2 years in the last 10 or so) could be in cap hell and fiction...... 

Again how are almost all top-tier WR's retained by their teams, but the Bills, is unfathomable.  

News alert almost all top WR's are Prima Donnas and expect the cash and to be thrown the ball.

Edited by Billsfan1972

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 1:44 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

They should’ve picked up his 5th year option. There’s no doubt Sammy would have jumped at the chance to leave Buffalo when FA starts and there’s no way in hell he would be worth the price tag. As he demonstrates time and time again, Sammy is not a # 1 WR and should not be paid like one.   He is a very good decoy though :)

Sammy wanted the ball in Buffalo.  I can’t really blame him for that.  He was embarrassed that players taken lower than him in the draft (and considered lesser WR’s) outperformed him both on the stat sheet and on the field.  

I will will never buy into the fact that Sammy that Sammy is one of the best WR’s in the league.  He’s on a second....maybe a third tier.  Not a #1 WR

Tell that to NFL defenses

On 11/8/2018 at 10:13 AM, Jpsredemption said:

Yep. Culture has equaled = 11-14 and how many blowout losses again?

Dont forget the playoff birth