Sammy Watkins Admits to an "Ego Problem" When He First Came into the League

10 minutes ago, teef said:

just because the bills wrs are terrible, it does not mean that it's worth paying sammy 16 mill a year.  he's good, but certainly not elite.  i don't know why people can't separate the two.  

Wait til you see what we overpay for this offseason.  Any FA that signs with the Bills will be overpaid, especially the WRs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Keep looking at blindly staring at stats.  No offense but I trust Reid/ McVay’s opinion over yours.  Our offense has been awesome since Sammy left!!!

Wait, did McVay want him or not?  He traded for him, but then let him walk...  Kind of like the Bills.  I'm so confused.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  We will give Tyrell Williams like $15 million a year.

And doubt he signs.

Who would believe McD when discussing a contract what offense the bills plan on running.

Remember "Buffalo football" according to McD means field position and play between the 20:s and controlling the los.  Exactly what a wr wants to hear.

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wait til you see what we overpay for this offseason.  Any FA that signs with the Bills will be overpaid, especially the WRs.

So true. Watkins has been on two teams stacked with weapons since he was traded. He’d be a focal point here, that shouldn’t be hard to understand. Anyway, griping about what players are paid is idiotic. Fans don’t set the NFL market or determine what a player is worth to a team. The Bills will have to pay huge $$ for less talented WRs to sign here now. Wonder how much griping there will be over those signings. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Wait, did McVay want him or not?  He traded for him, but then let him walk...  Kind of like the Bills.  I'm so confused.

McVay wanted him back, but there were several bidders for his services. At some point, he didn’t fit their salary structure. They immediately traded for Cooks. McVay knows what type of players he needs at WR to make his offense work. He didn’t proceed without a WR that could draw coverage and provide a threat to take the top off a defense. Funny, but Watkins had the most TDs of any Rams WR last season. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They wanted him back, but weren't ready to match the money he received from KC. 

Great.  And I'm sure the Bills would have wanted him too, but for less than whatever ridiculous amount it would have taken to entice him to sign an extension.

Getting a second for a guy that was going to walk the following year was a win.  

Edited by SWATeam

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

He tried to sign him back but couldn’t because Andy Reid signed him for $16 million. McVay realized he couldn’t go into a season with 2 slower wrs like Woods and Kupp as his top 2 and immediately traded a 1st for Cooks.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

so...the rams traded a second for sammy in the first place, then used a first to replace him.  why not just keep him?  how much less is cooks making year than sammy?

About $2 million less.  And yes, I would overpay for a receiver to help my young qb.  It’s exactly what the Chiefs did to help Mahomes.  Threats open up the entire offense.  McCoy is doing terrible because the defense don’t respect any receiver on our team and load the box.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

About $2 million less.  And yes, I would overpay for a receiver to help my young qb.  It’s exactly what the Chiefs did to help Mahomes.  Threats open up the entire offense.  McCoy is doing terrible because the defense don’t respect any receiver on our team and load the box.

why didn't the rams just pay the extra 2 million a year?  would it have destroyed their cap?  they invested a second in sammy, then spent a first to replace him...for 2 mill?  a first?  isn't that strange to you?  i think a good, wr is very improtant to a young qb too.  that's why i never understood why people were so angry the bills took him to help ej.  he was in no way worth two firsts, but i understood why they did it.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

why didn't the rams just pay the extra 2 million a year?  would it have destroyed their cap?  they invested a second in sammy, then spent a first to replace him...for 2 mill?  a first?  isn't that strange to you?  i think a good, wr is very improtant to a young qb too.  that's why i never understood why people were so angry the bills took him to help ej.  he was in no way worth two firsts, but i understood why they did it.

It is hard to criticize the Rams right now, obviously, but that Sammy trade was bad.  I thought they had to have a plan in place to extend him after trading a 2nd for him. 

27 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It is hard to criticize the Rams right now, obviously, but that Sammy trade was bad.  I thought they had to have a plan in place to extend him after trading a 2nd for him. 

they really did seem to mishandle that, (although it didn't hurt them).  why give up a second, and later a first to replace a wr? especially over 2 mill.

I like big ego. Guess who has big egos? Tom Brady and other assorted all-pros.

Lockerroom distractions and Dez Bryant's level of overrated talent based ego ain't good one bit.

I don't think, while malcontent, Watkins was so bad in the lockerroom. And this gets put in check when leaders (like Shady giving Watkins a picture of targets to stop his complaining). Cowboys were total wimps keeping Dez in check with poor leadership from Dak, Zeke, and most of all Garret and Jerry Jones let it fester to the point of no return.

Strong leadership to turn ego into production is what makes a good coach. Not coaches that are scared of addressing it and choose not to.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1