Sammy Watkins Admits to an "Ego Problem" When He First Came into the League

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Man we spend an awful lot of time on a guy who is once again on pace to have less than a thousand yards in a season. 

And people still defend the guy like he is an elite talent.  Give me a break.  Never had more than 65 catches in a season.  Never had more than 9 touchdowns in a season.   Had one (hardly) 1,000 yard season in five years.   Most glaringly he has played one full season in five years.

Glad he is gone.  Glad we didnt pay the decoy 16 million dollars a year. 

Rams points/ game pre Sammy: 14

points/game with Sammy: 29.9

chiefs points/ game pre Sammy: 25.9

points/ game with Sammy: 36.3

bills points/ game with Sammy in his last year here:  24.9

bills points/ game after Sammy left: 18.9

but I’m sure it’s one big coincidence.  It’s amazing how simple people try to make football.  I guess Julio Jones sucked until last week until he scored his first td of the season.  It’s this type of simple thinking that had the Bills think a garbage slow receiver like Jordan Matthews could replace Sammy because he had similar stats!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Name me a wr with the skill of Watkins who doesn't want the ball?

He is not Antonio Brown, who is in a huff if he doesn't get 15 targets or OBJ who continually complains.  

Watkins was targeted way below average with Buffalo and had every reason to be upset. Even Hopkins with lousy QBs was thrown the ball 10+ times a game.  If Watkins had 8 passes his direction that was a serious games 

Usually players like Watkins are thrown 3-4 simple passes a game minimum and often Watkins had none.

With KC he is doing just fine and is targeted in line with all their receivers as Mahomes is sharing the ball.

The hate for great players in Buffalo is something else when compared to the defense of players like Peterman.

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

but I’m sure it’s one big coincidence.  It’s amazing how simple people try to make football.  I guess Julio Jones sucked until last week until he scored his first td of the season.  It’s this type of simple thinking that had the Bills think a garbage slow receiver like Jordan Matthews could replace Sammy because he had similar stats!

If you honestly think Sammy Freaking Watkins was the catalyst for all this change you're truly the President of the Sammy Watkins Fan Boy Club.

Also: Drafted Cooper Kupp, Signed Robert Woods, and replaced their idiot head coach with a great offensive minded head coach who had a 2nd year quarterback and not a rookie.

Also: Have an incredibly gifted quarterback who actually throws to his wideouts rather than using tight ends and backs like Alex Smith.  They are also throwing the ball more this year with Mahomes. 

Also: Watkins played a total of 8 games the year you're trying to make a point about here, 8!  Not for nothing they also won two more games without him the following year, and made the playoffs.  But lets not "oversimplify" things.

I also didnt make it all about touchdowns so give me a break on the Julio Jones stuff.  If you want to use Jones, who is on pace for 120 catches and 1866 yards this season, to make your point about Watkins and his maybe 69 catches and 915 yards, be my guest.

My point is Sammy Watkins is not elite.  He is much closer to players like Randall Cobb or Pierre Garcon than his fan boys want to admit.  Fine players, but guys who need to be paid between 9 and 10 million a year, and not the bs 16 million the Chiefs gave Watkins.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/30/2018 at 10:38 AM, Boatdrinks said:

Many players do. Heck Bruce Smith took a little time to get it together. Bills should have kept Watkins. He’d be the primary weapon on this team. 

Woods and Watkins should never have gotten away. Smart enough to draft them yet dumb enough to not retain them. Typical

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you honestly think Sammy Freaking Watkins was the catalyst for all this change you're truly the President of the Sammy Watkins Fan Boy Club.

Also: Drafted Cooper Kupp, Signed Robert Woods, and replaced their idiot head coach with a great offensive minded head coach who had a 2nd year quarterback and not a rookie.

Also: Have an incredibly gifted quarterback who actually throws to his wideouts rather than using tight ends and backs like Alex Smith.  They are also throwing the ball more this year with Mahomes. 

Also: Watkins played a total of 8 games the year you're trying to make a point about here, 8!  Not for nothing they also won two more games without him the following year, and made the playoffs.  But lets not "oversimplify" things.

I also didnt make it all about touchdowns so give me a break on the Julio Jones stuff.  If you want to use Jones, who is on pace for 120 catches and 1866 yards this season, to make your point about Watkins and his maybe 69 catches and 915 yards, be my guest.

My point is Sammy Watkins is not elite.  He is much closer to players like Randall Cobb or Pierre Garcon than his fan boys want to admit.  Fine players, but guys who need to be paid between 9 and 10 million a year, and not the bs 16 million the Chiefs gave Watkins.

They averaged 23 the last year he was fully healthy here.

but again, Bills fans >>>> Reid, McVay. Our offense clearly improved without Sammy. So happy he is gone so I can watch Benjamin’s sun dial speed routes.

also, Gilmore sucks according to fans here.  So Bills fans >>>> Belichick 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He missed a game and a half with a concussion last year and hasnt played a full season since his rookie year.   Missed an average of 4 games a season over the last three years. 

He missed only one game last season (with 15 games played) and that's when the Rams rested their starters in week 17.

Sammy Watkins Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

They averaged 23 the last year he was fully healthy here.

but again, Bills fans >>>> Reid, McVay

also, Gilmore sucks according to fans here.  So Bills fans >>>> Belichick 

You're making a lot of assumptions here my friend.  I think Reid is maybe one of the most underrated coaches in the league, and has been for a long time.  I also love what McVay has done in LA.   I also dont think Gilmore sucks, and never have.  

What I am trying to say is this.  Sammy Watkins is not worth 16 million dollars a year.  He is often injured and is way closer to a third tier wideout in this league than he is an elite talent.    I think its also a bit of a falsity to keep saying McVay wanted him.  Yes they did sign him, but they also didnt resign him, so in that sense McVay is also one of the coaches who didnt want him.

You're also incorrect on the 23 pts/gm the last time he was fully healthy here.  He was only "fully healthy" here one time, his rookie season.  They averaged 21 points a game that year. 

Agree to disagree I guess.  But I feel like this argument, and not just with you, is more about how fans feel about the Bills and McBeane in particular, than it is about the simple truth about Sammy Watkins, which is this.  The guy is a high first round draft bust who never lived up to his potential in the league.  Given his draft status he should be putting up elite numbers.  Instead he is a #2 wideout in the league. 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He missed only one game last season (with 15 games played) and that's when the Rams rested their starters in week 17.

Sammy Watkins Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Understood.  I thought I remembered him being knocked out of a game with a concussion last year.  However, if he misses time with this foot injury is it not fair to say he has missed time in the majority of the seasons he has played in?

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

You're making a lot of assumptions here my friend.  I think Reid is maybe one of the most underrated coaches in the league, and has been for a long time.  I also love what McVay has done in LA.   I also dont think Gilmore sucks, and never have.  

What I am trying to say is this.  Sammy Watkins is not worth 16 million dollars a year.  He is often injured and is way closer to a third tier wideout in this league than he is an elite talent.    I think its also a bit of a falsity to keep saying McVay wanted him.  Yes they did sign him, but they also didnt resign him, so in that sense McVay is also one of the coaches who didnt want him.

You're also incorrect on the 23 pts/gm the last time he was fully healthy here.  He was only "fully healthy" here one time, his rookie season.  They averaged 21 points a game that year. 

Agree to disagree I guess.  But I feel like this argument, and not just with you, is more about how fans feel about the Bills and McBeane in particular, than it is about the simple truth about Sammy Watkins, which is this.  The guy is a high first round draft bust who never lived up to his potential in the league.  Given his draft status he should be putting up elite numbers.  Instead he is a #2 wideout in the league. 

The best offensive coaches want Sammy.  The worst offense in the nfl didn’t want him.

he has his flaws and might not never be the player he was coming out of college (ftr, I wanted Mike Evans badly in that draft).  But I’d rather have Sammy at $16 million at age 25 for Josh Allen than our ? fest of receivers at whatever they cost.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

It depends on how that ego manifested itself. It doesn't seem to me that it affected his effort or play. A huge number of pro athletes obviously have enormous egos and ego problems. For some of them it affects their play negatively, and it's a problem to some degree. For most it doesn't. It doesn't appear that it affected Sammy's play on the field here or anywhere, although it's possible. He didn't seem to say that in any way.

I have always considered Watkins a tremendous talent who had a personal drive to succeed. The problem I had with him was that he was so personally driven that he found it difficult playing in a situation where his expectation to produce was not going to materialize because of the situation here. If he were in Buffalo with the caliber of qb play and line play and offensive play his numbers would be a shadow of what he is capable of with a more accomplished team. I don't believe that in Buffalo he  handled that situation well. In my view if he was with Buffalo now under its current situation his emotions would bubble up to the surface and become a team issue. Similarly, I see McCoy who is chasing numbers that will qualify for the HOF becoming very frustrated with his situation/plight as time goes on. I wouldn't be too surprised if at the end of the season he privately asks to be traded to a better team where he can increase his numbers as his career winds down. 

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Understood.  I thought I remembered him being knocked out of a game with a concussion last year.  However, if he misses time with this foot injury is it not fair to say he has missed time in the majority of the seasons he has played in?

He left the TNF game against the 49ers early after a hit to the head on a TD catch.  He returned the following week with no issue.  Looks like thenorthforgot this time.  ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The best offensive coaches want Sammy.  The worst offense in the nfl didn’t want him.

he has his flaws and might not never be the player he was coming out of college (ftr, I wanted Mike Evans badly in that draft).  But I’d rather have Sammy at $16 million at age 25 for Josh Allen than our ? fest of receivers at whatever they cost.

Again, agree to disagree on Sammy.

I am not a fan of the moves the team has made on offense at all.  That includes drafting Allen.  But I am glad Watkins isn't here, especially at that price.

I will say that his move on Revis a few years ago is still on of my favorite routes I have ever watched a wideout run.

44 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is the type of dishonest BS that makes discussion impossible.  And there is no way that you actually believe it.

What are the Rams points per game post Sammy?  Can you think of any other possible reason why the Rams started scoring a lot of points last year?

Can you think of any other possible reason why the Chiefs starting scoring more points this year?  I bet you can if you try real hard.  Other than their 3rd leading receiver?

And yes, Sammy's 28 catches for 430 yards and 2 TD's were the key to the Bills scoring in 2016.

My god.

Just now, SWATeam said:

This is the type of dishonest BS that makes discussion impossible.  And there is no way that you actually believe it.

What are the Rams points per game post Sammy?  Can you think of any other possible reason why the Rams started scoring a lot of points last year?

Can you think of any other possible reason why the Chiefs starting scoring more points this year?  I bet you can if you try real hard.  Other than their 3rd leading receiver?

And yes, Sammy's 28 catches for 430 yards and 2 TD's were the key to the Bills scoring in 2016.

My god.

Keep looking at blindly staring at stats.  No offense but I trust Reid/ McVay’s opinion over yours.  Our offense has been awesome since Sammy left!!!