Sammy Watkins Admits to an "Ego Problem" When He First Came into the League

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Huh??? No one with any real knowledge has ever said that about Watkins. 

The fact that he has a big ego, thinks he's the best in the league, has many ppl believing that he has all the natural gifts required to be a great receiver, and STILL puts up measly numbers as a teams 4th option tells me he obviously doesn't work as hard as what would be necessary.

5 minutes ago, Jobot said:

The fact that he has a big ego, thinks he's the best in the league, has many ppl believing that he has all the natural gifts required to be a great receiver, and STILL puts up measly numbers as a teams 4th option tells me he obviously doesn't work as hard as what would be necessary.

This is just wrong. He's on pace for 1,000 yards this season in an offense that spreads the ball around like no other. In 7 games (he missed one early on with a hamstring issue; he went out after the first play), he has 34 catches for 453 yards. He didn't have a ton of catches for the Rams last year, but 8 TDs (plus a TD in the playoff game) and a 15+ ypc average is no joke. 

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

McD can handle egos.  He just doesn't want to.  Plus Sammy had an injury problem as well as a character one.     

Did you read the story about Sammy whining for targets?  So Shady put a punch of paper targets in an envelope and gave them to Sammy to mock & embarrass him?   That's not the kind of story that emerges from a winning team's locker room.  Sammy's admitted that when he was with the Bills, he was more interested in personal stats than wins.  At that time, Sammy was a gimpy, me-first, egomaniac.  Why would you want a guy like that on your team?

Teamwork, culture, chemistry...  these things are all important and Sammy was poison when here.  I'm glad to hear he's acknowledged his shortcomings since then and is growing as a man and as a player.  

Looks like it. What is our record again??

• Haha (+1) 1

It depends on how that ego manifested itself. It doesn't seem to me that it affected his effort or play. A huge number of pro athletes obviously have enormous egos and ego problems. For some of them it affects their play negatively, and it's a problem to some degree. For most it doesn't. It doesn't appear that it affected Sammy's play on the field here or anywhere, although it's possible. He didn't seem to say that in any way.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How do you come to this conclusion with the 1st two seasons he had with 2K plus receiving yards and 15 TDs before getting injured in 2016?  Where is your evidence that he didn't work on his craft as a WR?

I don't know where I was going with that.  I know he did fairly well when he was in Buffalo.  Maybe I wanted more from him.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Looks like it. What is our record again??

Unfortunately, talent matters too.  And - with the lowest paid roster in the NFL - we don't have much.

So I get your point.  We sent Sammy away and now we don't have WRs who can get separation.  I'm just saying hindsight is 20-20 and at that time the injuries and character issues made Sammy a guy the coaches didn't want to keep around.  I can see why.  It's not as silly and simplistic as "McD can't handle egos."

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Unfortunately, talent matters too.  And - with the lowest paid roster in the NFL - we don't have much.

So I get your point.  We sent Sammy away and now we don't have WRs who can get separation.  I'm just saying hindsight is 20-20 and at that time the injuries and character issues made Sammy a guy the coaches didn't want to keep around.  I can see why.  It's not as silly and simplistic as "McD can't handle egos."

They traded every player that had a little edge in ego. But hey they brought in Benjamin who has also had an ego and lazy since he came in the league. 

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The thing about the injuries is that almost every player in the NFL gets injured at some point. Nothing he had was debilitating long-term, and you can't let random events like injuries dominate how you project a player's future performance. Same can be said for Goodwin. Christ, Woods was playing with a torn groin and Hogan with torn ligaments in his wrist. Bills fans said Woods looked slow and that Hogan couldn't catch in their final seasons here. I'd say the same about Cordy Glenn now, who is playing quite well for Cincy (rated "above average" by PFF as of this week). 

Edited by dave mcbride

“To all the people that have a problem with me being injured you guys go out there and play this sport it’s a 100% injury rate,” Watkins wrote. “I’m not first or last person that’s gone be injured difference from me and you guys y’all mad and I’m not get a life and goto work stop worrying about my job because I’m good on this end and forever will be losers most of you just wish to be in this position so continue working y’all little jobs for the rest of y’all lives since everyone once a response here go one have a blessed day.”

Yeah - this is the kind of ego you want on your team.  What a jackass.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:05 PM, Jobot said:

He still has one... He believes he's a top 5 receiver in the league but he's not.  He doesn't work hard.  Any top-5 WR swapping with Watkins would be putting up monster numbers in KC right now.. not Sammys measly 4th-option stats.

Funny how the two top offensive coaches in the league wanted him.  Funny that both of those teams got better with him on offense.  It’s weird that some teams understand that you need multiple threats on offense and receivers can make an impact without getting 100 yards every game.

but I definitely agree with McBean’s and jaded Bills fans’ opinion on offense over Reid and McVay.  Excellent moves like Jordan Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin, and trading up for Zay instead of staying put for JuJu or Kupp shows their keen eye for offensive talent.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:53 PM, Fadingpain said:

He's making progress.

Maybe he'll next admit to his douchebag problem.

Haha, definitely rather have Benjamin’s character for the culture!!! What was Sammy’s attitude here anyways? Playing to early on an injured foot to appease stupid fans questioning his toughness?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Man we spend an awful lot of time on a guy who is once again on pace to have less than a thousand yards in a season. 

And people still defend the guy like he is an elite talent.  Give me a break.  Never had more than 65 catches in a season.  Never had more than 9 touchdowns in a season.   Had one (hardly) 1,000 yard season in five years.   Most glaringly he has played one full season in five years.

Glad he is gone.  Glad we didnt pay the decoy 16 million dollars a year. 

• Like (+1) 1