Is our defense actually good?

uticaclub

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Sir lets not diminish the one thing the team is doing well please.....its bad enough right now as it is.....

Offense and Special teams are not good.....the Defense actually being set is what gives me hope for the future

Our LB's look good and young

Our secondary, almost. D-line needs another stud, soon, and I can feel good about that side of the ball. On offense, we need 2 WR's, a young beast RB, and holy he'll we need a C, RT, LG/RG. Toss in 7 FB's and we can be better. All whilst following the process. ST's....gross

I mean, I'm not the biggest McBeane at the moment, but, its pretty easy to figure out why their current offense is inept. You should be able to answer that yourself if you're claiming you follow the Bills more than your Pats.  Also, claiming the entire franchise is inept claims none of their parts are competent, which is false seeing as the current defense with a mediocre offense would be in contention.

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

I like the Bills. Heck I probably follow the Bills more than the Pats, but the ineptitude of this franchise is amazing. How does one team get things so wrong so often.

Also, things are a lot easier when you have a top 2 QB in the league and possibly history. If you do not have that piece the franchise will continue to spin their wheels no matter how good they draft without having that QB.

Edited by Captain Murica

5 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I really think teams play very conservative against us, knowing they don't have to score alot of points to beat us and that we will probably just beat ourselves. They know as long as they don't turn the ball over, they have no chance of losing.

I'd like to think that we are building a great defense, but whenever they are playing great and need a big stop late, they always come up short. (End of Houston and the rushing TD on MNF)

Let me try to add something that doesn't reference McD/Beane, nor contributes to the chicken little dialogue. Or at least something I don't see here as far as when I started this post...

In a moderately sized nutshell:

Schematically, we have a bend don't break defense. The purpose and success of a bend-don't-break defense is to limit opposing offensive production while your offense is able to put up a greater amount of points. The entire philosophy is predicated on having an offense that can 1) score TDs, not FGs, actual TDs, and 2) stay on the field. It's fairly obvious that bend-don't-break defenses spend A LOT of time on the field. What you are seeing late in games is that our offense cannot stay on the field long enough in games and our defense cannot keep up with opposing offenses given the disparity. If we had a defense that focused on three and outs every set of downs, this may play out differently. What you see happening is more a product of our lack of competency on offense than defense. 

More tangibly speaking, we play mostly zone coverage, with some hybrid coverage, and force offenses to throw underneath hence the "bend-don't-break" scheme. This also relies upon the DLine getting pressure to limit the amount of "bending" that occurs in a single drive. The down sets where we get adequate pressure on the QB we actually do force punts and turnovers. But if our DLine can't get pressure, our secondary tires and zones collapse which is why you see these single receivers seemingly wide open at times. Some of that is also great QBs like Rodgers and Brady who are very familiar with zone schemes.

Speaking on the roster - our defense is very good, potentially great, but not yet elite. We need an extra talent addition at each level (Dline, linebacker, secondary) to be elite. Potentially swapping out the added line backer for additional secondary/dline help there if we are to continue with this scheme.

Edited by ctk232