Is our defense actually good?

uticaclub

I really think teams play very conservative against us, knowing they don't have to score alot of points to beat us and that we will probably just beat ourselves. They know as long as they don't turn the ball over, they have no chance of losing.

I'd like to think that we are building a great defense, but whenever they are playing great and need a big stop late, they always come up short. (End of Houston and the rushing TD on MNF)

• Thank you (+1) 1

They’re pretty good. Not the Steel curtain or anything but pretty solid. NE certainly wasn’t going to take unnecessary risks because they didn’t require that many points to win. Your point is somewhat valid there. Most teams aren’t New England. If the Bills had a decent offense they’d be a wild card contender. 

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Is that what the Titans did?

Didnt work out for them if so...

We had 3 takeaways that game. That was one of my points, as long as they hold on the ball & don't throw semi-risky passes, it doesn't matter how many yards you get or how many times you get sacked, you'll still win. 

If our defense pitched a shutout, we still lose 7-6

Edited by uticaclub

14 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I really think teams play very conservative against us, knowing they don't have to score alot of points to beat us and that we will probably just beat ourselves. They know as long as they don't turn the ball over, they have no chance of losing.

I'd like to think that we are building a great defense, but whenever they are playing great and need a big stop late, they always come up short. (End of Houston and the rushing TD on MNF)

In 2018, you don’t have defense like the 2001 Baltimore Ravens.  Every “good” defense in the NFL gives up yardage and points.

The Bills defense is very good and when you consider how little support they have, it makes you feel even more for them.

Also I don’t buy the conservative argument.  When they were playing bad, Baltimore didn’t exactly take it easy on them

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

In 2018, you don’t have defense like the 2001 Baltimore Ravens.  Every “good” defense in the NFL gives up yardage and points.

The Bills defense is very good and when you consider how little support they have, it makes you feel even more for them.

Also I don’t buy the conservative argument.  When they were playing bad, Baltimore didn’t exactly take it easy on them

Exactly, first game of the season. Baltimore and LAC ate our ***** lunch. Minny overlooked us and was preparing for the Rams on Thursday Night.

We are building our team around a paper tiger defense. Push come to shove this D will always fold

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Exactly, first game of the season. Baltimore and LAC ate our ***** lunch. Minny overlooked us and was preparing for the Rams on Thursday Night.

We are building our team around a paper tiger defense. Push come to shove this D will always fold

Disagree....I think if our QB was a Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown, or Teddy Bridgewater this would be a 5-3 team.  

Also many NFL analysts are praising the Bills defense and the next gen stats evaluate the Bills D strongly.  They are a good defense

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Disagree....I think if our QB was a Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown, or Teddy Bridgewater this would be a 5-3 team.  

Also many NFL analysts are praising the Bills defense and the next gen stats evaluate the Bills D strongly.  They are a good defense

IF Tom Brady was our QB.. Maybe!  The QB's you have posted still keeps us under 500

This years defense would be so much better if they weren't on the field so much and getting worn down almost every game. Think Vikings game! 

The Bills need to find a way to get that run game back to where it was the last few years in being #1 in rush yards, #1 in rush TDs and #1 yards per attempt. 

Currently 19th in points allowed, 6th in yards allowed. 6th in passing yards allowed. 

46 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Bend but don't break.   This defense thrives on turnovers and giving the offense a short field position. Yesterday. that did not happen.  WHen that does not happen, this bend-but-dont'-break just falls apart. 

They are close to elite IMO. They give up.. for reasons I can't blame.. some games when they just know they can't win (that crushes you as a competitor to have no control over the most incompetent unit on the other side of the ball). But last night, being MNF primetime, they played exactly as they should, as hard as they could, so as not to get embarrassed in prime time. 

It's difficult to tell. They may not be close to elite. I believe they are.. but we're like a bird with a broken wing. One is fine, could be a gorgeous bird wing (or strong, my analogy got weird) but the other ain't gonna make this team fly for ****.

2 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Pats treated yesterdays game like a preseason game. Thats not a slight against the defense. The offense is just that bad.

Pats looked mediocre yesterday.

I think you’re kidding yourself if you think this team can dominate like previous years.  They benefit from a weak AFC this year, but we’re getting close now.

42 minutes ago, Success said:

Pats looked mediocre yesterday.

I think you’re kidding yourself if you think this team can dominate like previous years.  They benefit from a weak AFC this year, but we’re getting close now.

No your not. You have an offense that struggles to get 10 points. If anything Bills took a huge step back. McDermott is trying to play 90's ball. It doesnt work.