Applebees Boneless Wings on ESPN

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

The whole concept of wings is kind of funny to me. As much as Buffalonians might hate to admit it, there's nothing special about Buffalo wings anymore. Wings are the same across the country, at least 5 hours down south from Buffalo. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have used boneless wings from Applebee's.

I still think Buffalo has it best. I have been to so many places in my travels where they try to “improve” on the buffalo wing with some fancy sauce. Then there are the places that use shelf stable/bottled imitations of buffalo wing sauce. It is fairly uncommon to find a place outside of WNY that just uses butter, Franks and a dash of vinegar.

Edited by MichFan

I know someone who works for ESPN. I busted his chops about this, telling him that they should feature it on the next episode of "C'mon, Man!" He confirmed that it was Applebee's idea and because of their sponsorship, ESPN agreed to it. In his words, "It wasn't well thought-out."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

The whole concept of wings is kind of funny to me. As much as Buffalonians might hate to admit it, there's nothing special about Buffalo wings anymore. Wings are the same across the country, at least 5 hours down south from Buffalo. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have used boneless wings from Applebee's.

Buffalo Wild Wings would have been better. Hell, Hooters. As much as those places suck, at least they're "wing places," and Buffalo Wild Wings has some, albeit lost, roots in Buffalo.

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I've gotten food poisoning from Applebee's 3 times, I will NEVER eat there again.

"Poison me once, shame on you.

Poison me twice, shame on me."

What possessed you to give them a third shot?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The whole thing was not a "news piece" talking about wings in Buffalo.

It was an advertising exercise whored out by ESPN and paid for by Applebees.

Get over it!

We already know the NFL, ESPN, and Applebees all suck.

Word - that's all ESPN is about, and especially Monday Night Countdown. Anything the show does that isn't a replay is an advertisement. Like the graphic of the Bills QB situation over the falls? Mmkay.

Regardless of intention or who prompted the idea, the reason a "wings piece" was done at all was because they were in Buffalo. So while it's not a news story, demonstrating that situational awareness and cognizant decision to say "yes, this is a great idea," is pretty bad.

But of course, ESPN didn't lose any Buffalo viewership as ESPN is kind of the CNN monopoly version of sports news and entertainment.

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

"Poison me once, shame on you.

Poison me twice, shame on me."

What possessed you to give them a third shot?

Wife got a 20$ gift card from work and we went to a different Applebee's but same results. The 3rd time both of us were praying to the porcelain gods most of the night.

27 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

He thought the boneless wings looked really good on TV last night. He's currently posting from the fetal position.

This follow up commercial brought to you by Kaleida Health.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I was thinking the same thing. Usually the Goo Goo Dolls are the cliche band to show in Buffalo. I guess they weren't available?

GGD are on tour. Last night they were somewhere between Minneapolis and Denver. 

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Well, they did show Bush playing "Comedown" in front of the Falls before the game. 

And the little cartoon character QB’s going over the falls in little boats. THAT was some great television! Someone should get an award for THAT!