Sean McDermott is Out of Answers

31 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

How about the fact that this is what Bill's fans like yourself constantly cry about ...oh fire everybody! Clean house!  And then where are we a couple years later?  The exact same place.  And you'll be screaming fire everybody again.  I'm not saying McDermott is great but it's not even the end of his second year...a year after we went to the playoffs.  Relax.

And i keep asking people like yourself and you never have an answer...what makes you think ownership will get someone better?  Have they so far?  So you have no confidence in our coach but you have confidence in ownership that hired Marrone...Rex Ryan...and now McDermott who you want fired immediately to all the sudden get it right?  That makes alot of sense.  So please answer that question.

Now that doesnt mean just because I think a coach deserves more then a year and a half....that I believe in the plan.  The QB situation is a disaster and embarrassing...so is the offense.  I have doubts about McDermott but you have to give the guy more then a year and a half.

Ownership might not get someone better, but if the guy we have doesn't have it, what's the harm in letting them try?

Sean McDermott doesn't get offense. His offense scored 18 PPG last year and is now chugging along at a 10.7 PPG mark, with four of our eight games resulting in us having scored less than 7 points.

Let that sink in.

McDermott's team has failed to score 7 points in half the games they've taken the field this year.

This coach has shown nothing that suggests he understands modern offense or gets the math behind particular situations when he should go for it and not punt. We're still playing field position and trying to win close games. This is Dick Jauron's regime all over again. 

Giving McDermott more time isn't going to make him miraculously field a high scoring offense. He's clearly shown he doesn't get it, and can't evaluate talent. Both of his Offensive Coordinator hires have been awful. There is absolutely no reason to give him more time to figure things out and potentially hire a 3rd OC in 3 years. He's a good defensive coordinator who doesn't seem cut out to coaching a full team. 

Edited by jrober38

There’s only one answer: the talent on the offensive side of the ball is the worst in the league.  Hence, us having the worst offense in the league.  Our QBs suck.  Our WRs suck.  Our OL sucks.  Our TEs are useless.  

Just now, jrober38 said:

Ownership might not get someone better, but if the guy we have doesn't have it, what's the harm in letting them try?

Sean McDermott doesn't get offense. His offense scored 18 PPG last year and is now chugging along at a 10.7 PPG mark, with four of our eight games resulting in us having scored less than 7 points.

Let that sink in.

McDermott's team has failed to score 7 points in half the games they've taken the field.

This coach has shown nothing that suggests he understands modern offense or gets the math behind particular situations when he should go for it and not punt. We're still playing field position and trying to win close games. This is Dick Jauron's regime all over again. 

Giving McDermott more time isn't going to make him miraculously field a high scoring offense. He's clearly shown he doesn't get it, and can't evaluate talent. Both of his Offensive Coordinator hires have been awful. There is absolutely no reason to give him more time to figure things out and potentially hire a 3rd OC in 3 years. He's a good defensive coordinator who doesn't seem cut out to coaching a full team. 

Again as myself and straight were discussing...I get your concerns...but they deserve at least till the end of 2019.  Let's see what another offseason can do.  

Your concerns aside...dont you think it's a little ridiculous to fire a coach half a year after he went to the playoffs?  In his first year as a coach.

3 hours ago, JPP said:

Not as much as that stupid slap happy annoying clapping of his every flippin time.....even after bad plays??  

SOOOOOOOOOO I get why that is annoying but.. you have to look at why he is clapping and more importantly when. This team is in the we learn through our mistakes. He claps at people that realize that they have made the mistake because there is no point drilling them for it unless your idiots like KB that make mistake after mistake and never learn from it in witch you see the coach leaning and yelling on him hard. I also know he is just trying to get through this year. Next year with likely 3 new O'linemen  and up to 3 new WR on the team with hopefully Josh Allen sitting the rest of this year learning will look like a totally different offensive team.

Goal? Retain what isn't broken and dump what is. over half our O'Line and our WR position.

3 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Again as myself and straight were discussing...I get your concerns...but they deserve at least till the end of 2019.  Let's see what another offseason can do.  

Your concerns aside...dont you think it's a little ridiculous to fire a coach half a year after he went to the playoffs?  In his first year as a coach.

No. I don't. We're scoring 10.7 PPG. Production this bad hasn't been seen in the NFL for 20 years and I don't see how the HC doesn't bear significant blame for that level of dysfunction. 

I agree that they won't fire him, but they should. 

McDermott doesn't get the offensive side of the football and isn't going to be the coach to develop a QB like Josh Allen. I think they let him do his thing this offseason, they spend some money and give him and Allen another year, and 12 months from now we're all talking about who our next coach and QB will be.

Edited by jrober38

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If you have ever read any leadership/management book you would know that getting the wrong people off the bus is more important than getting the right people on the bus. And that has to be done first before they can poison those people with their bad attitude.

This argument makes one KEY assumption.

That the person who is making the decisions as to who gets on and off the bus knows what they are doing in regards to NFL winning. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This argument makes one KEY assumption.

That the person who is making the decisions as to who gets on and off the bus knows what they are doing in regards to NFL winning. 

And why would you assume they dont when both came from winning organizations?

39 minutes ago, mrags said:

Marcell was a pro bowl DT who earned a 100m contract. 

Woods was absolutely a good WR that everyone thought would demand much more than he’s actually making. For that price we should have kept him. 

Goodwin was a joke. This is true. But he still better than guys like Robert Foster and Ray Ray McCloud. 

Brown led the entire league in tackles and didn’t miss a single play of defense for like 2 years straight. 

Hogan should have been kept for what the Pats are paying him. 

Watkins was the least in the lost that we should have kept. He was often hurt and refused to play even when hurt just a little bit. But for everything you gave up to get him, they sure dealt him for almost nothing. 

Lets also talk about  Cordy Glenn.....

everyone wants to complain about the offensive line. Man, it would sure be nice to have a good OLine. Maybe we could get someone like Cordy Glenn to start at one OT spot and Dawkins start at the other OT spot. We could only wish we had 2 good tackles in a team at once. 

Maybe if we didnt trade and let go of some of these guys, we wouldn’t be searching to fill their holes. And maybe we could have just picked Mahomes, or Watson, or Prescott to lead the team. 

This cosch is is a joke and needs to go. If the GM refuses to do it, he should go too. But Pegula is too much of an idiot and sap to do it. So we’ll have another year and a half of this putrid mess. Then we can finally start over again. 

Oh, and because this coaching staff is so garbage, the QB will end up being garbage and we’ll all be happy to move on from him as wel in another year and a half. After spending so much to go up and get him. Looks like another great move by this coaching staff. Go up and get a QB and leave him with zero weapons to succeed. 

Let's talk about Glenn.  He missed almost all of last year.  And they traded him to move up and get their QB.  And I defy you to find anyone around here who, since Kelly , has not at least once complained about the Bills not ever taking a shot at a QB in the draft.  That they'll never go anywhere without a QB.

Let's talk Dareus.  Who pulled a Haynesworth and decided to become a fat tub of goo after he got paid.

Let's talk Woods.  Actually you have it backwards; everyone thought at the time that the contract he got offered was way more than a #2 WR contract.  Plus all the rumors were that he wanted to go back west.  Plus it was Whaley that could have resigned him before he left in free agency, not McD or Beane.

Let's talk Goodwin.  It matters not whether he's better than Ray Ray or Foster right now, it matters what he was then.  And then he was a guy that could not stay on the filed, whom no one wanted to keep around.

Let's talk Brown.  Brown who made a lot of tackles 5 yards downfield, Brown who again many fans had seen enough of when he was here.

You are revising history to fit your little narrative.  You are the typical guy around here.  Complain when they don't do everything to get a QB, complain when they do that they should have focused on getting other guys instead of a QB.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Let's talk about Glenn.  He missed almost all of last year.  And they traded him to move up and get their QB.  And I defy you to find anyone around here who, since Kelly , has not at least once complained about the Bills not ever taking a shot at a QB in the draft.  That they'll never go anywhere without a QB.

Let's talk Dareus.  Who pulled a Haynesworth and decided to become a fat tub of goo after he got paid.

Let's talk Woods.  Actually you have it backwards; everyone thought at the time that the contract he got offered was way more than a #2 WR contract.  Plus all the rumors were that he wanted to go back west.  Plus it was Whaley that could have resigned him before he left in free agency, not McD or Beane.

Let's talk Goodwin.  It matters not whether he's better than Ray Ray or Foster right now, it matters what he was then.  And then he was a guy that could not stay on the filed, whom no one wanted to keep around.

Let's talk Brown.  Brown who made a lot of tackles 5 yards downfield, Brown who again many fans had seen enough of when he was here.

You are revising history to fit your little narrative.  You are the typical guy around here.  Complain when they don't do everything to get a QB, complain when they do that they should have focused on getting other guys instead of a QB.

You are clearly correct. I concede. 2-6, scoring less than 11 points a game is working. Just keep plugging along. We’ll get there someday 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Another thing that he keeps saying is that we have a young football team. But the team isn't that young. 

the team is very very young, not in avg., but in player per player.

you have to look at the details not the avg which is skewed. All the prime time players up and coming are 2 yrs and less exp., Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Milano, H Phillips, Corey Bojorquez, J Allen, Z Jones,

40% of the roster has 2 years or less experience. 45% has 3 yrs or less. TEN are rookies.

soon the oldest players will be off team as soon as next year guys with 10-14 years in league like Humber, McCoy, Alexander, K Williams, D Anderson, C Ivory, and even J Hughes.

That will make Bills even more young.

Edited by cba fan

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Very good post oldmanfan

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And why would you assume they dont when both came from winning organizations?

My “assumptions” are based on observable facts. 

The offense is scoring 10 ppg.

McDermotts record is 11-13.

The FAs and Trades the Bills have made on offense have made them unquestionably worse.

The Bills have brought in a high number of ex-Panthers who have produced no results. 

The QB position has been mismanaged to the point that a 35 year old ex-Panther backup had to be talked out of retirement to start. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with you and again have said that multiple times in this thread. 

They get 2018 and 2019 on the basis of the 2017 Playoff birth. 

But three things:

1. That Playoff birth is not a shining beacon. They scored 3 points in a game that was easily winnable. Not a feat of Coaching. 

2. McDermott's mindset on offense is from 1941. And I don't think that talent is the only thing we have to overcome with his regime. Its his ultra-conservative nature.

3. It's early and maybe I'm wrong, but my gut says McDermott is Dick Jauron 2.0, and Josh Allen who was a project out of Wyoming will bust out the league because he can't read a defense. 

IF 

Always IF. 

We have nothing in the hand. 

We have a pretty good defense after two years and the worst offense that Football Outsiders has tracked in 33 years worth of data. 

Again, they weren't saddled with $50MM in dead cap. They created it themselves for culture.

Rams got the best young offensive Coach in the league, hit on their #1 overall QB, play in LA, and aggressively traded for defensive talent. 

Are we on the way to becoming the LA Rams under Sean McDermott and Brian Daboll?

Goff was considered a bust and wasted pick ,by many, 2 years ago. The Rams were a complete dumpster fire.

A lot can happen with a QB on his rookie contract and cap space .

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What do you suggest they do right at this current moment?

Put McCoy permanently in the slot. 

Play Murphy at RB and spell within Ivory.

Stop all sweeps and pitches as you lose yards every time you try this. Realize that in 2018 the bubble screen flare has replaced trying to get to the edge.

Use 3-wide sets and utilize Croom on the outside.  

35 minutes ago, mrags said:

You are clearly correct. I concede. 2-6, scoring less than 11 points a game is working. Just keep plugging along. We’ll get there someday 

They nstink right now.  No one is denying that.  No one is denying that they need to make sure they use their cap space and draft picks wisely or they will be in jeopardy of losing their jobs.

But here you are, trying to rewrite history to have your little hissy fit.  And it's tiring. 

28 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Put McCoy permanently in the slot. 

Play Murphy at RB and spell within Ivory.

Stop all sweeps and pitches as you lose yards every time you try this. Realize that in 2018 the bubble screen flare has replaced trying to get to the edge.

Use 3-wide sets and utilize Croom on the outside.  

Pretty solid ideas.

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I listened to the post-game show last night, and Sean McDermott is out of answers folks. When his team gets kicked in the teeth, he pulls out his Dick Jauron cue cards repeats the most bland answers and cliches. 

First question out of the gate: "your offense has 2 Touchdowns in the last 5 games, explain it" and McDermott leads with "the defense came out and played well at times"... "go back and find answers". 

On McCoy's ineffectiveness as a runner - "making sure we are giving LeSean opportunities, and I have to go back and look at the tape" - HEY SEAN, MAYBE STOP ALLOWING SWEEPS AND PITCHES TO THE EDGES

"Learn from our mistakes"

"We are developing a football team"

"Learn from the tape"

From your time in the NFL could you recall any offense you've been a part of that has struggled like this? .... "establish the line of scrimmage early, thought we did some of that early, they made adjustments, and we weren't able to sustain it really the rest of the game

Derek Anderson evaluation: "thought he made some good throws, and he had some throws he'd like back"

What is holding Derek Anderson's back: "being able to establish the run game ... stay in 3rd and manageable"

Why is first down such a problem? "Can't get it going"

And so I ask Bills fans, do McDermott's answers bother you? Because they aggravate me. You have Bills fans sitting out there all night to watch a 47 yard and 51 yard FG and they get: we have to study tape harder. They get we are building a culture as we "move this thing forward".  

I think McDermott really thinks that you can line up in 2018 with an extra Tight End and Fullback, and run over teams across a 16-game schedule. That you can line McCoy up and just use the run game to control the line of scrimmage and that still works in the NFL. That you can watch tape, correct mistakes, and learn to be good offensively. That stay in 3rd and manageable is an accomplishment. 

Halfway through the season, 11-13 as a Coach and I think McDermott is out of answers. If he was gifted Alvin Kamara today he wouldn't know how to use him. He'd slam him into the line 8 times and talk about physicality. 

giphy.gif

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Goff was considered a bust and wasted pick ,by many, 2 years ago. The Rams were a complete dumpster fire.

A lot can happen with a QB on his rookie contract and cap space .

Yeah, and they fired his defensive-minded head coach and replaced him with an innovative offensive coordinator.