Sean McDermott is Out of Answers

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

WRONG.

IN THIS THREAD I'VE REPEATEDLY SAID: "They got to the Playoffs in 2017, so they get 2018 and 2019."

If that's the case, then you have my apology. There's so many of that kind of stupid here that it's nigh impossible to keep them straight.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He really thinks that lining up and imposing your physical will (with LeSean McCoy) works in the NFL over a 16 game schedule in the NFL. 

Like that really will beat the LA Rams when they go 3-wide 95% of the time. That lining up in the I, or running toss sweeps late in the 3rd quarter against the New England Patriots (scoring 38+ ppg for 4 straight games now) is going to work. 

He drafted a QB to develope into a franchise guy.

Rookie QBs need running games.

At some point, we need to give a coach the 4-5 year leash to put his plan in motion.

The HC and OC we ran out of here 5 years ago for the same reason were in the AFC Championship game with Bortles at QB.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Only because you don't want the Bills to be the Cleveland Browns and fire GM's and HC every two years. 

They made the Playoffs in 2017 and so they get 2018 and 2019. 

But they need an offensive consultant. 

Here is an example of something I said a couple of pages ago....

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You're being an overemotional child. Evidence: you're supporting firing a coach and GM less than two years into their tenure.

That's not the reaction of a grounded adult. It's the reaction of a kid in a grocery line who doesn't get a candy bar.

I defend this regime because it's EVIDENTLY CLEAR that they do have a plan, even if YOU and the likes of you don't like it.

The plan isn't working.

No chance you can argue that they went into this season expecting this offense to be the worst the NFL has seen in 20 years. 

They completely mismanaged the QB spot, have an offensive line that can't block the type of runs McCoy thrives on, and seem to have a thing for wide receivers who lack athleticism and can't stretch the field. 

Nothing these guys have done on the offensive side of the ball has worked. They don't know what a decent QB looks like, and they don't seem to have a plan at WR, having just taken a bunch of shots on guys at that position who can't play, burning cap space along the way. 

I get that you guys want to be patient, but what about this regime suggests that they're going to turn this around. They've shown nothing that suggests they can coach offense or identify talent on that side of the ball, and they've shown several times that they're careless with draft picks, frequently trading them away. 

We have a conservative, defense first coach who doesn't fit where the NFL is going. That side of the football is a complete debacle that will take years to correct. 

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

He drafted a QB to develope into a franchise guy.

Rookie QBs need running games.

At some point, we need to give a coach the 4-5 year leash to put his plan in motion.

The HC and OC we ran out of here 5 years ago for the same reason were in the AFC Championship game with Bortles at QB.

You would give him time if what you got was a team that made some big plays happen, scored some points, buy also had some bad turnovers. 

You would expect mistakes mixed in with some creative plays, some plays that worked. You'd expect bad penalties at the wrong times, followed by a laser over the middle for 25 yards. 

We don't get that. 

We get a Coach who talks about snowy Buffalo, running the ball, field position, 3rd-Manageable, being physical, blue collar (as a compliment to Buffaloians). 

39 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Revisionist history yet again.  at the time people thought Woods was overpriced, no one wanted Goodwin because he couldn't stay on the field.  Brown got roasted routinely around here.  Darby is having it tough in Philly.  Dareus was a big piece of goo that did not live up tom his contract.

Of you list I personally would have liked to see Watkins and Hogan stay. 

Let's just stop with the Monday morning QB stuff. 

Marcell was a pro bowl DT who earned a 100m contract. 

Woods was absolutely a good WR that everyone thought would demand much more than he’s actually making. For that price we should have kept him. 

Goodwin was a joke. This is true. But he still better than guys like Robert Foster and Ray Ray McCloud. 

Brown led the entire league in tackles and didn’t miss a single play of defense for like 2 years straight. 

Hogan should have been kept for what the Pats are paying him. 

Watkins was the least in the lost that we should have kept. He was often hurt and refused to play even when hurt just a little bit. But for everything you gave up to get him, they sure dealt him for almost nothing. 

Lets also talk about  Cordy Glenn.....

everyone wants to complain about the offensive line. Man, it would sure be nice to have a good OLine. Maybe we could get someone like Cordy Glenn to start at one OT spot and Dawkins start at the other OT spot. We could only wish we had 2 good tackles in a team at once. 

Maybe if we didnt trade and let go of some of these guys, we wouldn’t be searching to fill their holes. And maybe we could have just picked Mahomes, or Watson, or Prescott to lead the team. 

This cosch is is a joke and needs to go. If the GM refuses to do it, he should go too. But Pegula is too much of an idiot and sap to do it. So we’ll have another year and a half of this putrid mess. Then we can finally start over again. 

Oh, and because this coaching staff is so garbage, the QB will end up being garbage and we’ll all be happy to move on from him as wel in another year and a half. After spending so much to go up and get him. Looks like another great move by this coaching staff. Go up and get a QB and leave him with zero weapons to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You would give him time if what you got was a team that made some big plays happen, scored some points, buy also had some bad turnovers. 

You would expect mistakes mixed in with some creative plays, some plays that worked. You'd expect bad penalties at the wrong times, followed by a laser over the middle for 25 yards. 

We don't get that. 

We get a Coach who talks about snowy Buffalo, running the ball, field position, 3rd-Manageable, being physical, blue collar (as a compliment to Buffaloians). 

We don’t have the horses to run the race.

We have an old grey mare..... she ain’t what she used to be.

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The plan isn't working.

No chance you can argue that they went into this season expecting this offense to be the worst the NFL has seen in 20 years. 

They completely mismanaged the QB spot, have an offensive line that can't block the type of runs McCoy thrives on, and seem to have a thing for wide receivers who lack athleticism and can't stretch the field. 

Nothing these guys have done on the offensive side of the ball has worked. They don't know what a decent QB looks like, and they don't seem to have a plan at WR, having just taken a bunch of shots on guys at that position who can't play, burning cap space along the way. 

I get that you guys want to be patient, but what about this regime suggests that they're going to turn this around. They've shown nothing that suggests they can coach offense or identify talent on that side of the ball, and they've shown several times that they're careless with draft picks, frequently trading them away. 

We have a conservative, defense first coach who doesn't fit where the NFL is going. That side of the football is a complete debacle that will take years to correct. 

There's nothing really. 

There was a thread going around awhile ago documenting all of the FA/Trades to this team. 

Not one good player on there - Boldin, Coleman, Streater, Kerley, Clay, Brown, Tolbert, etc, etc. 

And for the fans who keep using the Eric Wood/Richie Incognito thing. Wood retired in January, there was time to rectify. The Bills tried to force Incognito to take a pay-cut. So his anger towards the Bills was not out of the blue. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

We don’t have the horses to run the race.

We have an old grey mare..... she ain’t what she used to be.

And Beane / McDermott wanted it that way. 

They chose this path. 

And now are banking on 10 picks (double picks start 4th Round and lower) in the Draft to repair this offense. 

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

What about their management of the offense suggests they deserve more time?

Is it their management of the offense, or the fact that this is the worst offense the NFL has seen in 20 years at a time when the rules are set up to encourage scoring?

How about the fact that this is what Bill's fans like yourself constantly cry about ...oh fire everybody! Clean house!  And then where are we a couple years later?  The exact same place.  And you'll be screaming fire everybody again.  I'm not saying McDermott is great but it's not even the end of his second year...a year after we went to the playoffs.  Relax.

And i keep asking people like yourself and you never have an answer...what makes you think ownership will get someone better?  Have they so far?  So you have no confidence in our coach but you have confidence in ownership that hired Marrone...Rex Ryan...and now McDermott who you want fired immediately to all the sudden get it right?  That makes alot of sense.  So please answer that question.

Now that doesnt mean just because I think a coach deserves more then a year and a half....that I believe in the plan.  The QB situation is a disaster and embarrassing...so is the offense.  I have doubts about McDermott but you have to give the guy more then a year and a half.

Edited by Skins Malone

7 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

How about the fact that this is what Bill's fans like yourself constantly cry about ...oh fire everybody! Clean house!  And then where are we a couple years later?  The exact same place.  And you'll be screaming fire everybody again.  I'm not saying McDermott is great but it's not even the end of his second year...a year after we went to the playoffs.  Relax.

And i keep asking people like yourself and you never have an answer...what makes you think ownership will get someone better?  Have they so far?  So you have no confidence in our coach but you have confidence in ownership that hired Marrone...Rex Ryan...and now McDermott who you want fired immediately to all the sudden get it right?  That makes alot of sense.  So please answer that question.

Now that doesnt mean just because I think a coach deserves more then a year and a half....that I believe in the plan.  The QB situation is a disaster and embarrassing...so is the offense.  I have doubts about McDermott but you have to give the guy more then a year and a half.

You blast jrober38 for not having an answer to your question, meanwhile you don't have a real answer for his relevant question:

What have you seen from Beane and McDermott that tells you that they understand NFL offense in 2018 based on the decisions they've made in their first 24 games?

All you point to is hope, and be patient. What specifically can you point to? 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I listened to the post-game show last night, and Sean McDermott is out of answers folks. When his team gets kicked in the teeth, he pulls out his Dick Jauron cue cards repeats the most bland answers and cliches. 

First question out of the gate: "your offense has 2 Touchdowns in the last 5 games, explain it" and McDermott leads with "the defense came out and played well at times"... "go back and find answers". 

On McCoy's ineffectiveness as a runner - "making sure we are giving LeSean opportunities, and I have to go back and look at the tape" - HEY SEAN, MAYBE STOP ALLOWING SWEEPS AND PITCHES TO THE EDGES

"Learn from our mistakes"

"We are developing a football team"

"Learn from the tape"

From your time in the NFL could you recall any offense you've been a part of that has struggled like this? .... "establish the line of scrimmage early, thought we did some of that early, they made adjustments, and we weren't able to sustain it really the rest of the game

Derek Anderson evaluation: "thought he made some good throws, and he had some throws he'd like back"

What is holding Derek Anderson's back: "being able to establish the run game ... stay in 3rd and manageable"

Why is first down such a problem? "Can't get it going"

And so I ask Bills fans, do McDermott's answers bother you? Because they aggravate me. You have Bills fans sitting out there all night to watch a 47 yard and 51 yard FG and they get: we have to study tape harder. They get we are building a culture as we "move this thing forward".  

I think McDermott really thinks that you can line up in 2018 with an extra Tight End and Fullback, and run over teams across a 16-game schedule. That you can line McCoy up and just use the run game to control the line of scrimmage and that still works in the NFL. That you can watch tape, correct mistakes, and learn to be good offensively. That stay in 3rd and manageable is an accomplishment. 

Halfway through the season, 11-13 as a Coach and I think McDermott is out of answers. If he was gifted Alvin Kamara today he wouldn't know how to use him. He'd slam him into the line 8 times and talk about physicality. 

What is he going to say?

"We knew the offense would suck this year?"

I mean people need to get a clue...they KNEW the offense was going to be bad, and the team likely as well. You can only polish a turd so many different ways...ots still a turd.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

What is he going to say?

"We knew the offense would suck this year?"

I mean people need to get a clue...they KNEW the offense was going to be bad, and the team likely as well. You can only polish a turd so many different ways...ots still a turd.

So this is all a plan?

A master mind plan?

So they knew Peterman would suck? 

What's the goal of this? A Top 5 pick to use on a WR who isn't worthy of it in this Draft class?

To enter the FA WR market with hardly any good WRs available and convince them to come to a Buffalo offense scoring 10 ppg? 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You blast jrober38 for not having an answer to your question, meanwhile you don't have a real answer for his relevant question:

What have you seen from Beane and McDermott that tells you that they understand NFL offense in 2018 based on the decisions they've made in their first 24 games?

All you point to is hope, and be patient. What specifically can you point to? 

But im not the one starting threads saying fire everybody now!  And then just asking a simple question which you clearly cant answer.

No I havent seen much from them that they can...that's the truth.  Because we have very little talent on that side of the ball..which is the coaching staffs fault.

But this guy took us to the playoffs for the first time in almost 2 decades in his first year.. with a ***** offense.  So your logic is fire a coach and GM half a year after we go to the playoffs...Brilliant.   Just because I say they deserve more time doesnt mean I dont have doubts.  But they should get another year period.  Hey remember when we put up a billboard telling Ralph to clean house??? Yeah howd that work?  And all the other years people cry for a coach to get fired?  Have we not always been in the exact same spot?  Yes.  And now it's only a year and a half and people are yelling the samething...

20 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

There's nothing really. 

There was a thread going around awhile ago documenting all of the FA/Trades to this team. 

Not one good player on there - Boldin, Coleman, Streater, Kerley, Clay, Brown, Tolbert, etc, etc. 

And for the fans who keep using the Eric Wood/Richie Incognito thing. Wood retired in January, there was time to rectify. The Bills tried to force Incognito to take a pay-cut. So his anger towards the Bills was not out of the blue. 

And Beane / McDermott wanted it that way. 

They chose this path. 

And now are banking on 10 picks (double picks start 4th Round and lower) in the Draft to repair this offense. 

Have you seen the Rams?

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So this is all a plan?

A master mind plan?

So they knew Peterman would suck? 

What's the goal of this? A Top 5 pick to use on a WR who isn't worthy of it in this Draft class?

To enter the FA WR market with hardly any good WRs available and convince them to come to a Buffalo offense scoring 10 ppg? 

Plan to focus on defense and get by with what they had on offense. You cant take 50 million in dead cap, fix the Defense and fix the offense especially when you had 2 pro bowl caliber players on the OLine leave unexpectedly. 

Only so much you can do. They are executing the plan they have and I hope to God its a top 5 pick if not top 3 or even 1...give them a ton of flexibility between drafting a player they want or stockpiling more picks to get more talent...this could set up the next 5 years very nicely of they do this right...

You either trust the process or don’t.  It seems unrealistic to expect coaches and GMs to go beyond normal coach-speak just to reassure us.  Most good ones don’t.  And I doubt Belichek’s pressers were different in Cleveland.

They did break the drought, and they are less than 2 seasons into a full rebuild.  Very clearly, a LOT of marbles are reserved for the upcoming offseason. I’m sure Beane hoped we could be more competitive this season, but was probably unwilling to compromise the overall plan just to basically put lipstick on a pig.

Just now, Skins Malone said:

But im not the one starting threads saying fire everybody now!  And then just asking a simple question which you clearly cant answer.

No I havent seen much from them that they can...that's the truth.  Because we have very little talent on that side of the ball..which is the coaching staffs fault.

But this guy took us to the playoffs for the first time in almost 2 decades in his first year.. with a ***** offense.  So your logic is fire a coach and GM half a year after we go to the playoffs...Brilliant.   Just because I say they deserve more time doesnt mean I dont have doubts.  But they should get another year period.  Hey remember when we put up a billboard telling Ralph to clean house??? Yeah howd that work?  And all the other years people cry for a coach to get fired?  Have we not always been in the exact same spot?  Yes.  And now it's only a year and a half and people are yelling the samething...

I agree with you and again have said that multiple times in this thread. 

They get 2018 and 2019 on the basis of the 2017 Playoff birth. 

But three things:

1. That Playoff birth is not a shining beacon. They scored 3 points in a game that was easily winnable. Not a feat of Coaching. 

2. McDermott's mindset on offense is from 1941. And I don't think that talent is the only thing we have to overcome with his regime. Its his ultra-conservative nature.

3. It's early and maybe I'm wrong, but my gut says McDermott is Dick Jauron 2.0, and Josh Allen who was a project out of Wyoming will bust out the league because he can't read a defense. 

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Plan to focus on defense and get by with what they had on offense. You cant take 50 million in dead cap, fix the Defense and fix the offense especially when you had 2 pro bowl caliber players on the OLine leave unexpectedly. 

Only so much you can do. They are executing the plan they have and I hope to God its a top 5 pick if not top 3 or even 1...give them a ton of flexibility between drafting a player they want or stockpiling more picks to get more talent...this could set up the next 5 years very nicely of they do this right...

IF 

Always IF. 

We have nothing in the hand. 

We have a pretty good defense after two years and the worst offense that Football Outsiders has tracked in 33 years worth of data. 

Again, they weren't saddled with $50MM in dead cap. They created it themselves for culture.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Have you seen the Rams?

Rams got the best young offensive Coach in the league, hit on their #1 overall QB, play in LA, and aggressively traded for defensive talent. 

Are we on the way to becoming the LA Rams under Sean McDermott and Brian Daboll?

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But three things:

1. That Playoff birth is not a shining beacon. They scored 3 points in a game that was easily winnable. Not a feat of Coaching. 

2. McDermott's mindset on offense is from 1941. And I don't think that talent is the only thing we have to overcome with his regime. Its his ultra-conservative nature.

3. It's early and maybe I'm wrong, but my gut says McDermott is Dick Jauron 2.0, and Josh Allen who was a project out of Wyoming will bust out the league because he can't read a defense. 

IF 

Always IF. 

We have nothing in the hand. 

We have a pretty good defense after two years and the worst offense that Football Outsiders has tracked in 33 years worth of data. 

Again, they weren't saddled with $50MM in dead cap. They created it themselves for culture.

If you have ever read any leadership/management book you would know that getting the wrong people off the bus is more important than getting the right people on the bus. And that has to be done first before they can poison those people with their bad attitude.

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But three things:

Fair enough...sry didnt have time to read all posts.  I share alot of your concerns myself.  I just think right now to early to fire..as you do as well.  But I understand your points they are certainly justified.

Now at the end of next season if the offense is still atrocious...then there needs to be serious talk about what is going on.  Our offense needs to be at least competent next year.

Edited by Skins Malone