Brandon Beane deserves to be fired tomorrow

12 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

Exactly this mess is really about church boy mcdermett he initiated the exodus of young talent and acquiring older players , Tolbert anyone , mcdermott thought it was ok to pass on Watson& Mahomes who both played better competition and no draft capital was needed. We watched Watson for two years take apart  Alabama defense. The only thing both Warson & Mahomes didn't have was MY  skin tone.

I MIGHT OF HAD MY DIFFERENCES WITH WHALEY BUT HE CAN JUDGE FOOTBALL TALENT something mcdermet/beane dont seam to have a clue about

Speaking of flawed what have this QB did compare to the 2017 prospects that made you feel comfy enough to trade up for this. I'll put it to you this way if

JOSH  looked like Watson or Mahomes he would still be looking to get drafted. He is nothing more than a white Cordelle Jones except Cordelle won a national championship.   

This kind of stuff should be banned from the board.

Just now, Tisker A Tasker said:

The worst part was when Beene got rid of Wood and Incognito and didn't get anything in return.

Right.  Beane finagled a way to have Wood come up with a spinal condition that threatened his career and life.  And he somehow arranged for Richie to lose his mind.

Crafty guy, that Beane.

11 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

If you judge FO's based on the bottom line of wins/losses, then there have certainly been worse in Bills franchise history, and at worst he at least ties 3 other times if the Bills fail to win again at all this year. "It takes time" to build a winner from the ground up, even though I know it's not what many here want to hear. That said, if JA ends up a bust this coming season, then all bets are off and we will be on to the new regime search quicker than later.  The D has been a pleasant surprise and gave us one of the better performances against Brady for most of the night, that I've ever seen outside of the Giants in SB's.   

And if he works out it will be brilliant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

The worst part was when Beene got rid of Wood and Incognito and didn't get anything in return.

lol. And then failed to sign all those great offensive lineman that are so easy to find because there are so many available.

• Haha (+1) 1

This seems to happen every 1 1/2 years around here since the John Butler days: Let's fire the GM and coach, that will take care of everything.

It won't.

There are 4 levels to a strong organization:

Ownership

General Manager

Coach

Quarterback

Go look at any organization that has success, and without the TOP one being strong, the other 3 will not fall into place. Bob Kraft might be a two faced cheater in many ways, but there is no denying he is a great owner.

If you owner is below average, having 3 of the other 4 can create lots of success, as evidenced by the 90's Bills. But once one of those fall off, back to mediocrity you go, and that is exactly where Buffalo has been since then.

Until the Pegulas understand what it truly means to own in the NFL, expect more of this.

You want to blame Beane? Go ahead. Got a better replacement? Good luck.

NOTHING changes until it changes at the top. PERIOD.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!

JFC people, this season was always a 'purge the dead money season'. If we win, good, but be prepared for hard times. Yes Beane and Co could have handled the QB and WR situations a little differently, but that would still be no guarantee of positive results. 

He still gets two more years for me, because I'm a rational person not some emotional child that wants everything now else I throw a temper tantrum. Next season almost all the dead money is gone and we can truly see if he can bring together the talent, in drafting and FA, to build a football team. But again, realistically it might take a little time to gel, hence one more year after that. Then we can buy pitchforks and torches to run him out of town. I'll chip in. But fire him now? Madness.

I do admire your passion, my Bills Brothers and Sisters. Much love.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Very rarely do teams demolish the roster, yet alone in year 2.

We demolished the roster in year 1. We should have been terrible last year. We got to the playoffs on coaching and a little bit of luck. 

Wood and Incognito retiring has had a much bigger effect on the offense this year than people anticipated. Our offense in 2015 was pretty good because our run blocking was elite and Shady was still in his prime. Plus Tyrod actually played efficient football that year. None of that turned out to be sustainable.

If the offense is still terrible next year they'll be on the hot seat but no one is getting fired this year. Everyone including the Pegulas signed onto $50 million in dead cap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Like A Mofo said:

This seems to happen every 1 1/2 years around here since the John Butler days: Let's fire the GM and coach, that will take care of everything.

It won't.

There are 4 levels to a strong organization:

Ownership

General Manager

Coach

Quarterback

Go look at any organization that has success, and without the TOP one being strong, the other 3 will not fall into place. Bob Kraft might be a two faced cheater in many ways, but there is no denying he is a great owner.

If you owner is below average, having 3 of the other 4 can create lots of success, as evidenced by the 90's Bills. But once one of those fall off, back to mediocrity you go, and that is exactly where Buffalo has been since then.

Until the Pegulas understand what it truly means to own in the NFL, expect more of this.

You want to blame Beane? Go ahead. Got a better replacement? Good luck.

NOTHING changes until it changes at the top. PERIOD.

And what exactly would make them better owners?  Should they go out and hire a retread coach that in his first HC gig bombed in Cleveland?  Should they hope to draft a QB in the 6th round that turns out to be the best ever?

They screwed the pooch with the Ryan hire.  No question.  So they have brought in a young new HC that was on everyone's short list, and also a young GM that had earned his stripes and his shot.  They presented a plan to the owners, and they are following through.  Whether it works or not is an open question as it would have been for anyone they hired.  And the guys they hired broke the playoff drought last year.

They're doing the same with their hockey team, which is showing signs that they are becoming a good team this year.

So, again, what exactly should they be doing?

Oh, and I did all that without using capital letters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

And what exactly would make them better owners?  Should they go out and hire a retread coach that in his first HC gig bombed in Cleveland?  Should they hope to draft a QB in the 6th round that turns out to be the best ever?

They screwed the pooch with the Ryan hire.  No question.  So they have brought in a young new HC that was on everyone's short list, and also a young GM that had earned his stripes and his shot.  They presented a plan to the owners, and they are following through.  Whether it works or not is an open question as it would have been for anyone they hired.  And the guys they hired broke the playoff drought last year.

They're doing the same with their hockey team, which is showing signs that they are becoming a good team this year.

So, again, what exactly should they be doing?

Oh, and I did all that without using capital letters.

Fair enough, we will see if the changes they made with the Beane and McDermott hiring prove that the Pegulas have learned from past mistakes.

My general point is without ownership being strong at the top, sustained success will never be achieved, which is what we all want, regardless of GM, coach and even QB.

I am not one ready to fire Beane and McD today like some.  Beane thinks outside the box and I like that.  Give him at least till 2020 and we will reassess at that time.

47 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

If they wanted Josh Allen to sit and learn this year

They didn't want that. Right after we drafted him Beane was contesting scouting reports that Allen was "raw." It has been reported a few times now that the competition between Peterman and Allen was close, they only went with Peterman because he's been here for a year now. They want Allen to develop on the field.

The biggest mistake they've made is Kelvin Benjamin. They expected him to be a reliable WR for their next QB. And if you go back to the trade Bills fans loved it and Panthers fans hated it. No one thought he would be this bad. Benjamin underperforming, Wood and Incognito retiring, and Allen's injury have derailed any chance of this offense looking competent this year.

I guess we get over reaction Tuesday after a Monday nighter.

If this offence is this bad next year someones head needs to role.

As far as firings go it should be the O line coach who is using big maulers in a zone blocking scheme.

21 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

Exactly this mess is really about church boy mcdermett he initiated the exodus of young talent and acquiring older players , Tolbert anyone , mcdermott thought it was ok to pass on Watson& Mahomes who both played better competition and no draft capital was needed. We watched Watson for two years take apart  Alabama defense. The only thing both Warson & Mahomes didn't have was MY  skin tone.

I MIGHT OF HAD MY DIFFERENCES WITH WHALEY BUT HE CAN JUDGE FOOTBALL TALENT something mcdermet/beane dont seam to have a clue about

Speaking of flawed what have this QB did compare to the 2017 prospects that made you feel comfy enough to trade up for this. I'll put it to you this way if

JOSH  looked like Watson or Mahomes he would still be looking to get drafted. He is nothing more than a white Cordelle Jones except Cordelle won a national championship.   

They don't have a clue about talent? The offense wasn't great before but they deserve some blame for its current state. They've also drafted/signed Dawkins, Edmonds, Milano, Phillips, White, Poyer and Hyde. Making a blanket statement about them not having a clue on how to identify talent is just false.  

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The systematic dismantling of one of the Bills' highest-producing offenses in franchise history, replacing it over two years with what is shaping up to be statistically the worst offense in the modern era - an incredible feat when you consider that offenses are scoring points at a record pace - cannot go unpunished.

Brandon Beane gutted the offense and has failed to draft or acquire a single quality player on that side of the ball.

Not one.

The 2017 WR group was the worst in the NFL - and they did absolutely nothing - NOTHING - to upgrade it.

The lack of talent on offense predictably led to the highly-invested QB getting seriously injured.  

There is no excuse for this - none.  Don't tell me they're "tanking" - no team tanks the year AFTER drafting their franchise QB.

Don't tell me they have cap problems and are "rebuilding" - those problems are self-imposed, and even if they were sound decisions (which is dubious), there is no excuse for failing to even attempt to acquire playmakers during the offseason.  Find some speedy gadget WRs and a James White-type scat back who can create mismatches.  Find me one - ONE tight end who can BLOCK, let alone occasionally get open and catch a pass.  Find me a guard who can move laterally without running into his own guys, or a right tackle who can at least attempt to execute a cut block without taking himself, and only himself, out of the play...

This offense is a shambles and it absolutely positively did not have to be.  No one expected this team to contend for the Super Bowl this season but fans act like there is nothing in between a Lombardi and the first overall draft pick - it just ain't so.

Brandon Beane's "solutions" at WR have included trading up for Zay Jones (if you want to put that draft on him - fine with me if you don't), trading Watkins, trading for Kelvin Benjamin, trading for Jordan Matthews, trading for Corey Coleman, signing Jeremy Kerley.

I would let Beane spend the day working the trade wire and, come 4:01 p.m., if the roster is not upgraded for 2019, I would fire him.  Why wait?  I suppose you could do the Bills-y thing and wait until Beane squanders $80M in salary cap room and 8 draft picks, but why saddle the next GM with that?  Get a head start now - once the trade deadline has come and gone, there really isn't much more for the GM to do until the offseason.  Now is the time to make the change.

And for those of you who want to tell me that it's really McD calling the shots - fine.  This will put him on notice.  He has no business making personnel decisions and screw the Pegulas for their nonsensical org chart - they want to piss away their $1B business, I guess that's their right.  They are clueless.  If they understood accountability, they'd tell McDermott he's going to be judged based upon Juan Castillo and David Culley and the rest of the bogus offensive coaching staff that McD hired.  But they probably won't.

Fire Beane, do it tomorrow morning, rip the bandaid off and move forward.

Not just Beane, but McDermott, too. I've been saying this since they started shedding talent the minute he walked in the door. If they sign another lame castoff from Carolina I am heading for One Bills Drive with a baseball bat. 

I give McDermott credit for fashioning a good defense, and for getting the team to play above their heads last season. But the rest of the story is miserable.

And anybody who mentions "The Process" should be strung up by his thumbs, or laughed into oblivion. 

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Look who they traded away or chose not to sign.  They virtually declared they would have no offense.  They were suppose to have a top 3 pick last year but screwed it up.  That forced them to spend all their draft capital for Allen. 

They probably preached the "Good Tank" to the Pegula's.   Look competitive while losing close games.  Keeps the fan base involved.   Now they have to hope for a top 3 pick and a trade down to obtain as many starters as they possible can. 

Gruden has started to do the same thing.

Exactly. Pegula signed off on this with the Sabres years ago to do the “competitive good tank” but yet people are shocked and can’t comprehend he could possibly do the SAME thing with his hockey team??  Wake up. It was agreed upon and it’s happening. 

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

This IS the process.   Watch Gruden follow suit.   They weren't meant to make the playoffs last year.   That threw everything off.

a small glimmer of success "threw everything off"?

3 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

When you color outside the lines, do you tear up the page and start over on a new picture?

You won't finish many coloring books like that and will simply have a pile of trash when you're done.

luckily we're talking about a multi-million dollar sports franchise, and not some child's coloring book.

...otherwise you make a great point.

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I think we need a poll to determine whether Beane is responsible for drafting Zay Jones.

Zay was a Whaley pick based on Whaley scouting. I don't hold Beane accountable until after last years draft.

Beane has showed that he can get rid of talent but he hasn't demonstrated that he can research and make good picks bring in quality FA's and  build anything.

Making the playoffs last year was based on talent acquired during Whaley's tenure. McD is a better coach than Rex and could utilize the talent better.

Zay Jones has become the best receiver on the field. The Bills have become an offensive embarrassment.

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wood and Incognito retiring has had a much bigger effect on the offense this year than people anticipated.

"The process" shouldn't have relied on two 30+ year old interior linemen, one of whom has well known "issues". 

I wonder what the grand plan is. Are all these moves going to lead to a consistent top 10 offense that can score 25+ a game? I just don't see it. To make that leap, we're going to be relying on several players that aren't even on the team or in the NFL. Think about that, it's scary! 

Firing Beane isn't the solution, but I've never believed that you need to bottom out to improve. You are playing with fire when you shed lots of proven talent and are banking on some home run drafts to save your ass. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

34 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Build a great offense and an average semi respectable defense 

An average semi respectable offense beats the Patriots yesterday, because of our defense playing lights out. There is no one way to win in the NFL. A great offense or great defense can win a Super Bowl but you need at least average on the other side for it to matter (or you get last year's Super Bowl where the game is basically a coin flip). And this defense should be even better next year.

5 minutes ago, 87168 said:

a small glimmer of success "threw everything off"?

luckily we're talking about a multi-million dollar sports franchise, and not some child's coloring book.

...otherwise you make a great point.

That really is the point.  It's a billion dollar franchise.  You don't go around making rash emotional decisions and firing it's leaders just because things aren't going as planned.  And furthermore nobody on this board can equivocally say that they even know what the plan is, was or will be.  It's akin to a frustrated child with a coloring book who can't stay within the lines. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The systematic dismantling of one of the Bills' highest-producing offenses in franchise history, replacing it over two years with what is shaping up to be statistically the worst offense in the modern era - an incredible feat when you consider that offenses are scoring points at a record pace - cannot go unpunished.

Brandon Beane gutted the offense and has failed to draft or acquire a single quality player on that side of the ball.

Not one.

The 2017 WR group was the worst in the NFL - and they did absolutely nothing - NOTHING - to upgrade it.

The lack of talent on offense predictably led to the highly-invested QB getting seriously injured.  

There is no excuse for this - none.  Don't tell me they're "tanking" - no team tanks the year AFTER drafting their franchise QB.

Don't tell me they have cap problems and are "rebuilding" - those problems are self-imposed, and even if they were sound decisions (which is dubious), there is no excuse for failing to even attempt to acquire playmakers during the offseason.  Find some speedy gadget WRs and a James White-type scat back who can create mismatches.  Find me one - ONE tight end who can BLOCK, let alone occasionally get open and catch a pass.  Find me a guard who can move laterally without running into his own guys, or a right tackle who can at least attempt to execute a cut block without taking himself, and only himself, out of the play...

This offense is a shambles and it absolutely positively did not have to be.  No one expected this team to contend for the Super Bowl this season but fans act like there is nothing in between a Lombardi and the first overall draft pick - it just ain't so.

Brandon Beane's "solutions" at WR have included trading up for Zay Jones (if you want to put that draft on him - fine with me if you don't), trading Watkins, trading for Kelvin Benjamin, trading for Jordan Matthews, trading for Corey Coleman, signing Jeremy Kerley.

I would let Beane spend the day working the trade wire and, come 4:01 p.m., if the roster is not upgraded for 2019, I would fire him.  Why wait?  I suppose you could do the Bills-y thing and wait until Beane squanders $80M in salary cap room and 8 draft picks, but why saddle the next GM with that?  Get a head start now - once the trade deadline has come and gone, there really isn't much more for the GM to do until the offseason.  Now is the time to make the change.

And for those of you who want to tell me that it's really McD calling the shots - fine.  This will put him on notice.  He has no business making personnel decisions and screw the Pegulas for their nonsensical org chart - they want to piss away their $1B business, I guess that's their right.  They are clueless.  If they understood accountability, they'd tell McDermott he's going to be judged based upon Juan Castillo and David Culley and the rest of the bogus offensive coaching staff that McD hired.  But they probably won't.

Fire Beane, do it tomorrow morning, rip the bandaid off and move forward.

Can we get you fired from this board?

• Like (+1) 1