Brandon Beane deserves to be fired tomorrow

The systematic dismantling of one of the Bills' highest-producing offenses in franchise history, replacing it over two years with what is shaping up to be statistically the worst offense in the modern era - an incredible feat when you consider that offenses are scoring points at a record pace - cannot go unpunished.

Brandon Beane gutted the offense and has failed to draft or acquire a single quality player on that side of the ball.

Not one.

The 2017 WR group was the worst in the NFL - and they did absolutely nothing - NOTHING - to upgrade it.

The lack of talent on offense predictably led to the highly-invested QB getting seriously injured.  

There is no excuse for this - none.  Don't tell me they're "tanking" - no team tanks the year AFTER drafting their franchise QB.

Don't tell me they have cap problems and are "rebuilding" - those problems are self-imposed, and even if they were sound decisions (which is dubious), there is no excuse for failing to even attempt to acquire playmakers during the offseason.  Find some speedy gadget WRs and a James White-type scat back who can create mismatches.  Find me one - ONE tight end who can BLOCK, let alone occasionally get open and catch a pass.  Find me a guard who can move laterally without running into his own guys, or a right tackle who can at least attempt to execute a cut block without taking himself, and only himself, out of the play...

This offense is a shambles and it absolutely positively did not have to be.  No one expected this team to contend for the Super Bowl this season but fans act like there is nothing in between a Lombardi and the first overall draft pick - it just ain't so.

Brandon Beane's "solutions" at WR have included trading up for Zay Jones (if you want to put that draft on him - fine with me if you don't), trading Watkins, trading for Kelvin Benjamin, trading for Jordan Matthews, trading for Corey Coleman, signing Jeremy Kerley.

I would let Beane spend the day working the trade wire and, come 4:01 p.m., if the roster is not upgraded for 2019, I would fire him.  Why wait?  I suppose you could do the Bills-y thing and wait until Beane squanders $80M in salary cap room and 8 draft picks, but why saddle the next GM with that?  Get a head start now - once the trade deadline has come and gone, there really isn't much more for the GM to do until the offseason.  Now is the time to make the change.

And for those of you who want to tell me that it's really McD calling the shots - fine.  This will put him on notice.  He has no business making personnel decisions and screw the Pegulas for their nonsensical org chart - they want to piss away their $1B business, I guess that's their right.  They are clueless.  If they understood accountability, they'd tell McDermott he's going to be judged based upon Juan Castillo and David Culley and the rest of the bogus offensive coaching staff that McD hired.  But they probably won't.

Fire Beane, do it tomorrow morning, rip the bandaid off and move forward.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Just now, Greybeard said:

This IS the process.   Watch Gruden follow suit.   They weren't meant to make the playoffs last year.   That threw everything off.

B.S.

This is no "process."  There is no way that this level of offensive ineptitude was PLANNED.  

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yes. I'm sure 10 ppg and the worst QB play in the history of the game was all planned.

Just shut up and trust the process until they inevitably get fired.

Seriously - I cannot fathom that so many people believe this chaos and incompetence was all part of some grand design.  It's almost like dogma...

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Read the post before responding, it might help.

You talking about this?

And for those of you who want to tell me that it's really McD calling the shots - fine.  This will put him on notice.  He has no business making personnel decisions and screw the Pegulas for their nonsensical org chart - they want to piss away their $1B business, I guess that's their right.  They are clueless.  If they understood accountability, they'd tell McDermott he's going to be judged based upon Juan Castillo and David Culley and the rest of the bogus offensive coaching staff that McD hired.  But they probably won't.

You say he has "no business making personnel decisions" but the organization is set up with him as the boss.  

My initial post stands.

Edited by Fadingpain

I don't think people are saying that being this bad on offense was a part of the process.  They're saying that this rebuild on offense was planned.  Maybe they didn't expect to be so bad, but they did expect to be bad.  Just look what we have on offense, do you think they expected to be good?

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

B.S.

This is no "process."  There is no way that this level of offensive ineptitude was PLANNED.  

Look who they traded away or chose not to sign.  They virtually declared they would have no offense.  They were suppose to have a top 3 pick last year but screwed it up.  That forced them to spend all their draft capital for Allen. 

They probably preached the "Good Tank" to the Pegula's.   Look competitive while losing close games.  Keeps the fan base involved.   Now they have to hope for a top 3 pick and a trade down to obtain as many starters as they possible can. 

Gruden has started to do the same thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This was always going to be the year of disaster with all the cap hits. Next year the team must be better and trending hugely upwards or it’s trouble. 

Its terrible that Allen isn’t getting practice reps now. That is the worst thing happening to this team. He needs to be throwing. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

B.S.

I disagree. According to the information available, Beane and McD scripted out the plan to the Pegulas and this included all of the Cap shedding done the last two years. That's what this year and last year was about. Even the ever non-existent Kelvin Benjamin was only under contract through the end of this year, no long-term commitment. 

They wanted to dismantle the Offense and re-shape the Defense. The Defense was a bit easier and quicker to improve, and you cannot argue this Defense hasn't greatly improved under McD from the Wrex days of abysmal performances. 

The Offense needed a legit Franchise QB, which was going to take capital. Essentially, making the playoffs made it harder to do b/c this is the year they probably thought they were going to have *last* year which would have been a top 5 pick. They had to trade assets to get into position to make their pick. And before you dump all over Allen, take a look at the other Rookies and how they have even better weapons to throw to - albeit in Arizona their Offensive line is putrid, and yet the numbers aren't way off and that's with Allen missing games. Point being, this will be a new Offense next year. How Beane and McD attack the Off-season, build around Allen will ultimately decide their fate - but it is way, way too early to fire anyone at this point....all things considered. 

• Like (+1) 10

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The systematic dismantling of one of the Bills' highest-producing offenses in franchise history, replacing it over two years with what is shaping up to be statistically the worst offense in the modern era - an incredible feat when you consider that offenses are scoring points at a record pace - cannot go unpunished.

Brandon Beane gutted the offense and has failed to draft or acquire a single quality player on that side of the ball.

Not one.

The 2017 WR group was the worst in the NFL - and they did absolutely nothing - NOTHING - to upgrade it.

The lack of talent on offense predictably led to the highly-invested QB getting seriously injured.  

There is no excuse for this - none.  Don't tell me they're "tanking" - no team tanks the year AFTER drafting their franchise QB.

Don't tell me they have cap problems and are "rebuilding" - those problems are self-imposed, and even if they were sound decisions (which is dubious), there is no excuse for failing to even attempt to acquire playmakers during the offseason.  Find some speedy gadget WRs and a James White-type scat back who can create mismatches.  Find me one - ONE tight end who can BLOCK, let alone occasionally get open and catch a pass.  Find me a guard who can move laterally without running into his own guys, or a right tackle who can at least attempt to execute a cut block without taking himself, and only himself, out of the play...

This offense is a shambles and it absolutely positively did not have to be.  No one expected this team to contend for the Super Bowl this season but fans act like there is nothing in between a Lombardi and the first overall draft pick - it just ain't so.

Brandon Beane's "solutions" at WR have included trading up for Zay Jones (if you want to put that draft on him - fine with me if you don't), trading Watkins, trading for Kelvin Benjamin, trading for Jordan Matthews, trading for Corey Coleman, signing Jeremy Kerley.

I would let Beane spend the day working the trade wire and, come 4:01 p.m., if the roster is not upgraded for 2019, I would fire him.  Why wait?  I suppose you could do the Bills-y thing and wait until Beane squanders $80M in salary cap room and 8 draft picks, but why saddle the next GM with that?  Get a head start now - once the trade deadline has come and gone, there really isn't much more for the GM to do until the offseason.  Now is the time to make the change.

Fire Beane, do it tomorrow morning, rip the bandaid off and move forward.

I’m here for another 3 years minimum.

Get used to it pal.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 7

Finally people are realizing what a cluster Beane is.

He will end up going down as the worst GM this team has ever seen, and that is saying a lot.

The guy is clueless, yet has one of the biggest egos I have ever seen.

McDermott and Whaley were great together.  Provided a nice check and balance.  Whaley was able to scout, and McDermott was allowed to make the decisions based on Whaley's scouting.

Beane now runs everything player wise and it is a stark contrast to the talent that was brought in before he got here.

4 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Look who they traded away or chose not to sign.  They virtually declared they would have no offense.  They were suppose to have a top 3 pick last year but screwed it up.  That forced them to spend all their draft capital for Allen. 

They probably preached the "Good Tank" to the Pegula's.   Look competitive while losing close games.  Keeps the fan base involved.   Now they have to hope for a top 3 pick and a trade down to obtain as many starters as they possible can. 

Gruden has started to do the same thing.

Yes. Exactly. The people they traded away are part of the process. What don't people get about that? That literally IS the process. Get rid of huge contracts to underperforming players, and start fresh instead of continuing to overpay for mediocre talent and just constantly staying in mediocrity 6-10 through 8-8. Blow it up, sacrifice a year to get rid of the contracts, and start fresh with 90 million dollars to spend next year, and some high draft picks.

This is literally the definition of a rebuilding football team.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

“They did nothing to improve the WR group.”

”Here is a list of things they did to try to improve the WR group.”

What he did with the QB position at the end of pre-season alone should get him fired.  How can you go into the season with a rookie, and a very shaky 1 year vet as the only QB's on the roster?  That is beyond stupidity.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2